4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how difficult is it to change a starter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 01:03 PM

how difficult is it to change a starter?

my mom's 95 SE's starter let go on us a few days ago. i'm probably going to replace it myself since we don't feel like get ripped off by the dealers. approximately how much does one go for at a parts store? is it difficult to change? the only good thing i see right away is it's in plain eyesight and not too tucked away. thanks for advice.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:04 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

www.motorvate.ca

It's not hard.
Old 01-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Ramius83

Intake system, Two bolts, and a wiring harness <--All in a nut-shell

Old 01-09-2003, 02:00 PM
What's next!?..

$140 at Autozone. Make sure you get the one with 10 teeth. More reliable.

If I remember correctly(replaced mine 2 months ago), you'll need a 12mm socket and a 17mm socket. Breaker bar or pipe to slip over the rachet will probably be needed for the 17mm bolt. It's on pretty tight. Large torque wrench may work too.

Took me only 10 minutes once I got that 17mm bolt to move.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by JPMax
The 10 teeth starter applies to Maxs that were produced after June `96. Earlier maxs require 8 teeth. The best thing is to look if ur original starter has 8 or 10 teeth and get the same number.
Old 01-09-2003, 02:19 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
www.motorvate.ca

It's not hard.
if you have an intake its even easier
Old 01-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by JPMax

Please dont buy the autozone starter. Try Napa or Carquest or something like that. You will be replacing the Autozone one again.
Old 01-09-2003, 07:07 PM

Re: how difficult is it to change a starter?

I just changed the starter on my 97'SE last month. It was starting to hang and eat up my flywheel when starting. I got the one from Autozone because they were open at 3:00AM when I decided to change it. You gotta take the airbox and most of the intake duct work out, plus the battery if you want some extra wiggle room.

The guys are right....the second bolt (the bigger one) was a pain to get out.... you will need a breaker bar to get enough leverage. Otherwise its a walk in the park....
Old 01-09-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by 96shogunmax

Please dont buy the autozone starter. Try Napa or Carquest or something like that. You will be replacing the Autozone one again.
Details? Did one fail on you? If so, after how many miles?

I have an Autozone starter in my '95 and have been running with it for almost two years/20k mi with no problems so far.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by Maxpower96

The 10 teeth starter applies to Maxs that were produced after June `96. Earlier maxs require 8 teeth. The best thing is to look if ur original starter has 8 or 10 teeth and get the same number.
This was an upgraded design. The 10-tooth can (and should) be run on all 4th Gens., including 95/96. There is no difference between a 95/96 and a 97-99 flywheel, so the improved 10-tooth starter can be run on any 4th Gen.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:31 PM

Originally posted by KWheelzSB

Details? Did one fail on you? If so, after how many miles?

I have an Autozone starter in my '95 and have been running with it for almost two years/20k mi with no problems so far.

Well not with this car , but with others I have experienced failure. Like alternators lasting only 2 to 3 months. Same with a starter I bought. Lasted about 3 months. But this important "everybody has their own experences" . I mean its your car get what you want.
Old 01-09-2003, 09:36 PM

Well not with this car , but with others I have experienced failure. Like alternators lasting only 2 to 3 months. Same with a starter I bought. Lasted about 3 months. But this important "everybody has their own experences" . I mean its your car get what you want.
Thanks - was just curious if I should expect my starter to crap the bed unexpectedly, that's all. . . I hope not!
Old 01-09-2003, 09:52 PM

I wouldn't assume that your starter is bad because it is hanging in the flywheel. Mine was doing the same thing. I took it off removed two back 10mm bolts and then the solenoid on the side. The lower gear and rotating assembly grease was dried and the shaft wasn't moving on the innershaft. A little axle grease, wd-40 and about 45min saved me $140, and a trip to the autoparts store. Most importantly I didn't replace my high quality Japanese starter with some American rebuilt crap. Look at motorvates site it will give you some good advice.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:40 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i work at autozone and for the amount of starters we sell we dont get many back. if you do buy one from there though i would have them test if right outa the boz and make sure everything works right off the back. most of them we return are within the first few days or after a few years. biggest thing to check is how many teeth the starter has. i was gunna replace mine and checked every one we got in for the max and they all were 8 tooth starters. good luck man
Old 01-10-2003, 05:12 AM

linney

Many of us have bought from Walter Linney who owns Linney Auto Electric in NY. He lists on Ebay and you get a brand new Prestolite starter, 10 tooth, for $129. No need to worry about core, reman or anything. I have one in my '95 and think it is great.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:30 AM

Originally posted by finny
i work at autozone and for the amount of starters we sell we dont get many back. .... i was gunna replace mine and checked every one we got in for the max and they all were 8 tooth starters. good luck man
ACME Auto had the same story...every one of their starters (including the Bosch units) had 8 teeth. Not wanting to take the chance, I opted (and paid the price) for the dealer OEM. I counted them several times, but the new starter for my '96 has 11 teeth versus the original that had 10. The parts guy at the dealer..."must be an improved design". I still don't quite grasp the mechanics behind varying the number of starter teeth and their ability to mesh with the flywheel teeth. Anyway, everything works fine.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally posted by Rickalodeon
I still don't quite grasp the mechanics behind varying the number of starter teeth and their ability to mesh with the flywheel teeth. Anyway, everything works fine.
It's just a larger hub/shaft on the 10-tooth, so the relative scale of the "teeth" is the same as on the 8-tooth design, there are just 2 more teeth. This is how compatibility with the flywheel is retained.

(Ie: they're not squeezing 2 extra teeth into the same space once occupied by 8, they're making the hub/shaft larger in diameter, to accomodate the extra teeth without changing the tooth size).

Old 01-10-2003, 01:12 PM

"Mechanical advantage" -so everyone has a better understanding of why this design was changed. . .

Simply put, the more teeth on the starter drive gear, the more "leverage" the starter motor has to turn the engine. In turn, less operating load is placed the starter motor.

Think of it this way: 10-speed bike. Rear sprockets, stacked together like discs, bigger to smaller.

Does it require less effort to pedal the bike when the chain is on the big sprockets, or the small sprockets? The big sprockets, of course.

Why? More teeth = greater mechanical advantage
I will gladly defer to your understanding, but your example still seems counterintuitive to me...I would liken the starter teeth to the front sproket of a bike (that which is applying the energy), and the flywheel to the rear sprockets. In this analogy, the fewer number of teeth and smaller sprocket diameter (or starter), the lesser amount of energy required to turn the "receiving" sprocket (or flywheel). However, as with the bike, the less energy translates to more revolutions. i.e. It would take more revolutions of the starter with 8 teeth [than one with 10 teeth) to move one full revolution of the flywheel.
Old 01-10-2003, 04:49 PM

I will gladly defer to your understanding, but your example still seems counterintuitive to me...I would liken the starter teeth to the front sproket of a bike (that which is applying the energy), and the flywheel to the rear sprockets. In this analogy, the fewer number of teeth and smaller sprocket diameter (or starter), the lesser amount of energy required to turn the "receiving" sprocket (or flywheel). However, as with the bike, the less energy translates to more revolutions. i.e. It would take more revolutions of the starter with 8 teeth [than one with 10 teeth) to move one full revolution of the flywheel.
You make a very good point. I had to rethink this after reading your post & may need to delete my rubbish.

This has me wondering if it was in fact the goal of the Nissan engineers to design a new starter motor that would yield a longer service life not by virtue of requiring the motor to undergo less load, but by virtue of it having to operate at an overall lesser duration of time. Theoretically, the 10-tooth motor should help the engine turn-over fractionally quicker than the 8-tooth motor, right? Over a lifetime of starts, maybe this saving in operational time is where Nissan found the extra longevity (?) Hmmmm. . .
Old 01-10-2003, 06:16 PM

This has me wondering if it was in fact the goal of the Nissan engineers to design a new starter motor that would yield a longer service life not by virtue of requiring the motor to undergo less load, but by virtue of it having to operate at an overall lesser duration of time. Theoretically, the 10-tooth motor should help the engine turn-over fractionally quicker than the 8-tooth motor, right? Over a lifetime of starts, maybe this saving in operational time is where Nissan found the extra longevity (?) Hmmmm. . .
Your latest theory seems logical. Good thought.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:08 PM

http://www.linneysautoelectric.com/

Jae
Old 02-08-2003, 07:20 AM

Does the Soleniod come with the Starter??

When we're talking about the starter, does that include the solenoid? Do the starters you buy at Autozone and Advance come with the solenoid attached to it?

I have to replace my starter today, b/c it is spinning and not engaging to the flywheel. I was just wondering if I should buy a starter, solenoid, or both. Any answers????
Old 02-08-2003, 07:26 AM

Re: Does the Soleniod come with the Starter??

Originally posted by MercerMax
When we're talking about the starter, does that include the solenoid? Do the starters you buy at Autozone and Advance come with the solenoid attached to it?
Yes and Yes.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:31 AM

Re: Re: Does the Soleniod come with the Starter??

Yes and Yes.
Thanks for the help. Does this sound like I need to replace the starter of just try to regrease it? My battery is fine, but I've been having that famous starter noise for a year now. As of yesterday, it won't engage to the engine at all. The starter is just spinning and making a real fast winding noise. Thanks for your help again.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:41 AM

Re: Re: Re: Does the Soleniod come with the Starter??

Originally posted by MercerMax

Thanks for the help. Does this sound like I need to replace the starter of just try to regrease it? My battery is fine, but I've been having that famous starter noise for a year now. As of yesterday, it won't engage to the engine at all. The starter is just spinning and making a real fast winding noise. Thanks for your help again.
I've heard/read of the whining noise during the release (after the start) and how regreasing resolved the problem. The lack of engaging sounds more like a solenoid problem. Since you'll have the starter out anyway, and since it only takes a a few minutes to reinstall (plus the half hour or so for the regreasing), it might be worth the effort...This assumes that your time is not worth more than the cost of the starter, which you might have to purchase anyway.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Does the Soleniod come with the Starter??

Thanks again. I think I'm just going to replace the starter. More money but less time.
Old 02-08-2003, 10:06 AM

I just replaced a starter with a autozone starter on a Nissan Quest and its running just fine to this day , hope it dont break or we will be back at autozone