4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rack & pinion, and tirod problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2003, 02:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Rack & pinion, and tirod problem

I just had the front camber kit installed and the car aligned yesterday. I started noticing vibrations from the front driver side wheel around 30 and up mph. I just though the wheel needed to to be balanced, so I took it to Tire Kingdom to check it out. The guy told me that the rack&pinion and the tirod(spelling?) had some play in them which might be causing the vibration. He said that the bushings for these two components had to be replaced and parts cost $40 from Nissan. However, he said that labor for just lifting and replacing the bushings would be about $97, but if the wholle rack& pinion had to be taken out like on some cars, the cost of labor would be hundreds of dollars and take six hours to do the job. Please help me. What are my options?
Old 01-10-2003, 02:20 PM

One more thing. I think this may have resulted from a pot hole. I tried to avoid it but went over it in the end. It was a bone jarring hit. Could that have given the rack&pinion and tirod bushing some play?
Old 01-10-2003, 05:08 PM

Decently easy part to replace.. This part used is cheap.. I would just replace the whole deal with a used long rack...
This part should cost $110 area used and come with tie rods and all.

You just jack the car up take tires off.. disconnect the tie rod from the wheel.. remove the hoses.. take the bolts from the rack and slide it out.. Install in reverse and get it aligned.. It will take you one day.

If you need it and can't find it used I got one.
cbr2@softhome.net
Old 01-10-2003, 05:30 PM

Re: Rack & pinion, and tirod problem

Originally posted by athlon omega
The guy told me that the rack&pinion and the tirod(spelling?)

It's a TIE ROD END

hope this helps,
FLO_BOY
Old 01-10-2003, 06:07 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Rack & pinion, and tirod problem

The guy told me that the rack&pinion and the tirod(spelling?) had some play in them which might be causing the vibration.

He said that the bushings for these two components had to be replaced and parts cost $40 from Nissan.

However, he said that labor for just lifting and replacing the bushings would be about $97
Let me see if I understand this correctly. Your R&P had some play in it ***caused by*** some play in the bushings that hold it secure in the car. Am I correct here? The key is the second sentence, "bushings for these two components" that only cost 40 bucks. There are no bushings on tie rod ends. The only bushings I know of are in the clamps that hold the entire rack assembly onto the car. I had a buddy kick his rack over about 1/4 inch when he clocked a chunk of concreat on the highway. Upon loosening the rack, we were able to just slide it back over very easily.

But this may be an area to look at closely. I've never heard of that bushing getting lose. But a lot of org members have vibrations they just can't seem to get rid of. Perhaps they should inspect the clamps and bushings that hold the rack onto the car. If these are starting to loosen up, it could be the cause of the mysterious vibrations that some get.

Tom
Old 01-10-2003, 09:36 PM

Re: Re: Rack & pinion, and tirod problem

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

Let me see if I understand this correctly. Your R&P had some play in it ***caused by*** some play in the bushings that hold it secure in the car. Am I correct here? The key is the second sentence, "bushings for these two components" that only cost 40 bucks. There are no bushings on tie rod ends. The only bushings I know of are in the clamps that hold the entire rack assembly onto the car. I had a buddy kick his rack over about 1/4 inch when he clocked a chunk of concreat on the highway. Upon loosening the rack, we were able to just slide it back over very easily.

But this may be an area to look at closely. I've never heard of that bushing getting lose. But a lot of org members have vibrations they just can't seem to get rid of. Perhaps they should inspect the clamps and bushings that hold the rack onto the car. If these are starting to loosen up, it could be the cause of the mysterious vibrations that some get.

Tom
I asked the guy repeatedly just to make sure that I got it striaght, and he said that the bushings would take care of it. He wrote down that there was "minor play in the rack and inner tie rod." But you said that I should tighten the clamps and or replace the bushings that hold the rack onto the car? Those bushings may be what the mechanic may have been talking about.
Old 01-12-2003, 04:47 PM

Re: Re: Re: Rack & pinion, and tirod problem

I asked the guy repeatedly just to make sure that I got it striaght, and he said that the bushings would take care of it. He wrote down that there was "minor play in the rack and inner tie rod." But you said that I should tighten the clamps and or replace the bushings that hold the rack onto the car? Those bushings may be what the mechanic may have been talking about.
the bigger question should be, How was the car aligned with a bad or loose inner tie rod or minor play in it?it's been my experience that a car with loose or worn suspension parts, especially the tie rods, cannot be aligned properly.