4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Maxima and Altima 5-Speed Trannies the Same?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 09:04 PM
Ramius83

Maxima and Altima 5-Speed Trannies the Same?

I heard, a while back, that the Maxima 5-speed tranny, and the 97+ Altima 5-speed trannies were the same? Is this a fact?

I was searching under www.car-part.com and I found a good number of Altima trannies that were significantly cheaper than the same Maxima trannies. And, as a bonus, some of them even listed the RS5F50A part number. Anyone know???

Old 01-12-2003, 09:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Maxima and Altima 5-Speed Trannies the Same?

Originally posted by Ramius83
I heard, a while back, that the Maxima 5-speed tranny, and the 97+ Altima 5-speed trannies were the same? Is this a fact?

I was searching under www.car-part.com and I found a good number of Altima trannies that were significantly cheaper than the same Maxima trannies. And, as a bonus, some of them even listed the RS5F50A part number. Anyone know???
Part numbers are the exact same - but this is only because the internal mechanics are the same.....The bellhousing, flyweheel, and wiring is all different.

I tried this by comparing a 5spd maxima and 5spd Altima side by side - the bellhousing bolt patterns and size aren't even close. (10 bolt holes vs 12, different mounting points, wiring harness, etc, etc)

IanS
Old 01-12-2003, 09:18 PM
Ramius83

What year was this Altima? It seems that the 97-99s may work. I don't know, I am gonna look at my brothers tomorrow.....

But why would they label the tranny with that tag if the bolt patterns are different? That is quite odd in my opinion.....

Old 01-12-2003, 09:19 PM

What year was this Altima? It seems that the 97-99s may work. I don't know, I am gonna look at my brothers tomorrow.....

But why would they label the tranny with that tag if the bolt patterns are different? That is quite odd in my opinion.....
I thought so too.

I compared a 1997 maxima and a 1996 Altima....the same part number you mention above was stamped into the metal on each one, but they were different...

Tlkaed to a nissan tech after that, and he said the internals were the same, but the bellhousing and everything else was different, which is exactly what I observed.

I hope you prove me wrong...what year is your brother's Altima?
Old 01-12-2003, 09:40 PM
Ramius83

Originally posted by Kevin Wong
Don't everyone be stealin' my idea, no? on car-part.com the 5-speed VLSD RS5F50V from a Maxima go for $800+... the 5-speed VLSD RS5F50A from an Altima go for as low as $185. I checked the gear ratios and they match up to the very thousandth in every gear. I ran over to the Altima.net people and there are a few that swapped a Maxima tranny into their Altimas. Then I searched here, one dude knew about this too and swapped the Altima tranny into his Max. I just hope the 2000 Altima fits the 4th gen Maximas and has the VLSD...or even better yet...while I'm still hoping, an HLSD.
I found that from a thread about a month ago in the General Forum. I just put it to the top for reference......Maybe I should still look into this????

Old 01-12-2003, 09:41 PM

I found that from a thread about a month ago in the General Forum. I just put it to the top for reference......Maybe I should still look into this????
I did a full search on Altima.net and started a thread about it - noone there knows anyone who's done it.

(I saw that post too)

IanS
Old 01-12-2003, 10:11 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by iansw

I thought so too.

I compared a 1997 maxima and a 1996 Altima....the same part number you mention above was stamped into the metal on each one, but they were different...

Tlkaed to a nissan tech after that, and he said the internals were the same, but the bellhousing and everything else was different, which is exactly what I observed.

I hope you prove me wrong...what year is your brother's Altima?
yea, u compared a 96 altima tranny so the possibility is still out there. wow, would it hold up exactly the same? even though maxima power is more aggressive than an altima...not sure if this would do anything but just wanted to know...
Old 01-12-2003, 10:18 PM

Originally posted by meccanoble

yea, u compared a 96 altima tranny so the possibility is still out there. wow, would it hold up exactly the same? even though maxima power is more aggressive than an altima...not sure if this would do anything but just wanted to know...
Well, another thing I had done to research was ask Marti at raxles.com if the axles where they meet the tranny are the same size.

The Altima is alot smaller in diameter of an axle where it meets the tranny.

matri, however, offered to custom make the Altima inner axle with the Maxima outer axle. This would make the axle the right length (Maximas are wider, but the inner axle is the same length), but who knows how it would hold up under boost (in my case)

Also, just the fact that the axle itself is smaller diameter, shows that the trannies are physically different.
Old 01-12-2003, 11:58 PM

I know my bro's 93 Max SE, my gf's 93 Altima and 95 Altima, and my 97 Maxima all have the same tranny code...but I never noticed the bolt pattern. I will look next weekend.

While I'm at it, I'll check my bro's 2k Max

Jae
Old 01-13-2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
I know my bro's 93 Max SE, my gf's 93 Altima and 95 Altima, and my 97 Maxima all have the same tranny code...but I never noticed the bolt pattern. I will look next weekend.

While I'm at it, I'll check my bro's 2k Max

Jae
well, even if those Maxes and Altis you mention match, that doesn't help us compare to a 4th Gen.

IanS
Old 01-13-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by iansw

well, even if those Maxes and Altis you mention match, that doesn't help us compare to a 4th Gen.

IanS
1997 = 4th gen, right?

Jae
Old 01-13-2003, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by ThurzNite

1997 = 4th gen, right?

Jae
Yes.