4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A little Quirk

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2003, 03:27 PM

A little Quirk

I don't find this to be a problem I just wanna know if other peoples Maxima's are doing this. When its cold( like below 60f) sometimes when I shut the passenger door the power locks lock all the doors? I don't know why.It doesn't really bother me cause it only does it when its cold, I just wanna know if other maxima's are doing the same thing.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: A little Quirk

Originally posted by Velcro
I don't find this to be a problem I just wanna know if other peoples Maxima's are doing this. When its cold( like below 60f) sometimes when I shut the passenger door the power locks lock all the doors? I don't know why.It doesn't really bother me cause it only does it when its cold, I just wanna know if other maxima's are doing the same thing.
I dont have this problem with my maxima

-Nick
Old 01-16-2003, 07:51 AM
Lifetime Maxer

Re: Re: A little Quirk

Originally posted by 95CustomMaxima

I dont have this problem with my maxima

-Nick
This morning I was on the highway, just cruising and all of a sudden, all of my doors locked! I unlocked them and it didn't happen again. It was like -6 degrees this morning, maybe it's temperature related? Freaky....Anyone else had this happen to them?
-Chad
Old 01-16-2003, 08:42 AM

not here, and my mom hasn't had it on her 96.
Old 01-16-2003, 08:54 AM

I can concur that the power locks act freaky in the cold. Happened to me just last night. I could not unlock the passenger door by "double pumping" the key in the drivers door. Actually it was really wierd, after I got in the drivers side and hit the lock switch to unlock from there, not only did it not unlock the p-door, but all the other locks began to lock-unlock-lock-unlock. Only after getting out and going to the passenger door and unlocking with the key did the door unlock fine and all the fussing stop. Now my first reaction is frozen lock freaking out computer. But since the key-lock in the p-door just actuated the same servo to unlock the door (no direct mechanical connection that i know of, could be wrong) why did that unlock the door but the other door or the inside switch could not. Who knows. I just chalked it up to the single digit temps (in Chicago area and it's been COLD!!!!).

BTW, my keyfob case broke so I can't attach it to keychain so I don't carry it. Didn't get to try that.

-DPF
Old 02-20-2003, 02:09 PM

Ok, I have the same problem.. but like... 10 fold!

This past weekend, I was on a roadtrip from my home in south jersey to atlantic city - then on to Washington D.C. the following day.

As I entered the parking lot in AC... I attempted to pay the parking attendent, only to discover my window would not roll down! I paid by opening the door... (like some kind of non-maxima owning looser!) I parked and checked the fuse, it was good - and I got back in and beat on the switch panel with my fist - no effect. I turned the ignition off, then back to accessory - now the window went down... and stopped half way!

I continue to play with the window switch, and the doors all lock. Then they unlock by themsleves! WTF???

I didn't touch the doorlock switch!

None of the other doors individual window switches work either.

I fianlly removed the key and held the unlock button on the remote until it made both front windows roll down. I reinserted the key and was able to roll the windows up.

Throughout the weekend, the windows would stop on their way down - or up, and the switch responded well to jiggling.

The doorlocks often unlocked and locked repeatedly all by themselves... usually when I was getting in out out of the driver's door.

So... water in the switch?.. or some kind of faulty relay under the hood? Or water in a relay under the hood? Where is the relay system that send signals to the other windows and from the remote to all the windows located?

This is irritating.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:34 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by LLCoolJessie
I continue to play with the window switch, and the doors all lock. Then they unlock by themsleves! WTF???
At least the unlocking thing is common to all 4th gens... mine's never locked though, just unlocked. The car doesn't have to be on either.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've had it lock up on me a couple of times but I thought that I locked it and wasn't paying attention. Glad to see that I wasn't going senile
Old 02-20-2003, 04:05 PM

Re: A little Quirk

Originally posted by Velcro
Below 60f IS NOT COLD! I would love to have it be that warm here. Today it finally broke above 30's! The past few months its been in the single digits and I'm TIRED OF IT! Bostons having a rough winter this year.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:55 PM

Sometimes when I am washing my car, I will hear all of the doors lock suddenly. I have yet to hear the doors unlock themselves though. I have also never had the problem with the windows and I hope I never do.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:07 PM

Ok, so - I decided there might be a problem with the drivers door switch panel - since a lot of times - beating on the switch panel seems to solve the problem.

I thought there might be some water in there - I spilt a lot of snow on the door panel one day. When I popped the switch panel out - it came disconnected from the cable immediatley - without having to depress the little prong thingy!

So I think maybe the plug was just loose... which might explain the problem. It seemed to work after plugging it in firmly.

I also closely inspected the switch unit - and it didn't seem like water could ever get in there - it's very well designed. So I'm a little perplexed how all the problems I had could have occured. - but hey, maybe the plug thing fixed it.

I'll let you know.

Also, while I had it apart - I saw how easy it would be to change the LED color of the switch lights... it really bugs me that my door switches are green - and all the other lights in the car are white.

They're just simple two prong LEDs and a little soldering could set you up with any color you want... sweet.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:38 PM

I've had this problem with the door locks for about a year now. Just today I decided to do a search to see if maybe someone had the same problem. I wasn't expecting to find anything. If all my doors are unlocked and I shut the drivers door all the doors lock except for the drivers door. Every once and awhile when I'm driving they just start going off and locking and unlocking on their own. I took my car in to get an alarm installed so I'm hoping they will be able to find the problem.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:02 AM

Well, It's been over a month - and the problem has not recurred.

I suspect that the loose cable plug was the culprit.

To all you who have intermittent windows, or door locks that operate by themselves when you shut the driver’s door… I suggest you take 30 seconds and a butter knife – and pop the drivers door switch unit out to make sure it’s plugged in correctly.

As for the link to cold weather – although it is warmer now, there were plenty of ice scraper mornings in jersey during this month of testing - I do not believe that temperature or water could have been causing my problem.