4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Just ordered new suspension!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:18 AM

Just ordered new suspension!

I just got off the phone with shox.com and got a set of B&G springs for $205 shipped! There's a great discount for org members for this company. I also got a FSTB from ptuning.com for $85. I finished everything off with a set of KYB/GR2 struts and shocks from the tirerack. Everything will come in by next Friday and I plan to get them installed next weekend. I'll post the pics as soon as I get done. I'm so glad to get rid of that damn 4X4 look.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:21 AM

I got my B&G from them for $185 shipped in September???? Did they go up in price?? Or did you forget to mention the .org discount??
Old 01-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: Just ordered new suspension!

Originally posted by heems27
I just got off the phone with shox.com and got a set of B&G springs for $205 shipped! There's a great discount for org members for this company. I also got a FSTB from ptuning.com for $85. I finished everything off with a set of KYB/GR2 struts and shocks from the tirerack. Everything will come in by next Friday and I plan to get them installed next weekend. I'll post the pics as soon as I get done. I'm so glad to get rid of that damn 4X4 look.
Cancel your order, you got ripped. Those springs were going for around 185 bucks when I picked them up. And $85 bucks for a strut bar? There a dime a dozzen on ebay for 30 bucks. Why on earth would you pay 85 bucks for that bar? Even Courtesy Nissan sells them cheaper then that! (I think)
Old 01-17-2003, 12:23 PM

I wouldn't cancel the spring order (for the hassle involved) of saving $15 at this point.

BUT, I would shop around a bit for another FSTB & cancel that order.

$85 is WAY too much to pay for a non-Stillen FSTB.

As was mentioned B4, you can buy FSTB's all day long on EBay for under $40 shipped. There was actually a maxima.org member named "Stealthmax" (search for threads with his name) who was selling them a while back for like $40 - not sure if he still is or not. Very reputable seller.

(Put the $40 you'll save toward your alignment).

Sorry to wet-blanket your excitement - we're just trying to look out for ya - thaa's all!

Old 01-17-2003, 12:43 PM

I appreciate your concern but I made sure to tell the people at Shox.com that previous members of the Org. have gotten the springs for $185 but he told me that B&G just recently raised prices. I don't think it's worth the hassle over 20 bucks. As for the strut bar, I wanted to spend a little bit more money and get one that is fully adjustable. I did look at other strut bars on e-bay and most of them didn't look as high quality as the one i'm getting from ptuning. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase and thanks for looking out for me.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase and thanks for looking out for me.
Thats all that counts! Congrats on your new mods.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:51 PM

I appreciate your concern but I made sure to tell the people at Shox.com that previous members of the Org. have gotten the springs for $185 but he told me that B&G just recently raised prices. I don't think it's worth the hassle over 20 bucks. As for the strut bar, I wanted to spend a little bit more money and get one that is fully adjustable. I did look at other strut bars on e-bay and most of them didn't look as high quality as the one i'm getting from ptuning. Overall, I'm satisfied with my purchase and thanks for looking out for me.
Ok, the quality issue is subjective & depends on taste, but I'm very picky about what I put on my car & think the $40 polished billet aluminum one I got looks great. I always get compliments on it when the hood is up.

The $30-$40 FSTB's are just as adjustable as the $150+ bars, btw.

At the end of the day, all that matters is you're happy with your mods. If you are, then there isn't anything worth debating! Enjoy.

Old 01-17-2003, 01:00 PM

Hey NJMax, is the pic of your max in the sig with the B&G springs or H&R? Whatever it is, it looks sweeet!
Old 01-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've never heard or seen an adjustable FSTB. Why would you want it adjustable? Isn't the point to make the front suspension act as 1 unit and make it rigid? I think they ripped you off. I would complain to BBB for false advertising.

What's your opinion on the GR2? They're not any better than stock. In fact, nissan uses GR2 as standard equipment in many of their sedans, like the Altimas and Sentras (not sure about maximas...they may be monroes). Please re-consider the GR2, as they will wear out quickly with high performance springs, and you're gonna hafta buy another set (unless you like a squishy ride!)

Jae
Old 01-17-2003, 04:10 PM

Heems27, nice color on the Max. Your car looks good now can't wait to see the dropped heems rider.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by ThurzNite
I've never heard or seen an adjustable FSTB. Why would you want it adjustable? Isn't the point to make the front suspension act as 1 unit and make it rigid? I think they ripped you off. I would complain to BBB for false advertising.
Adjustability on the FSTB just refers to the threaded ends found on all FSTB's that allow for slight adjustments in the positioning of the brackets relative to the strut-tower bolt holes, for a precise fit.

It is not a "performance" adjustment - No need to call the BBB.

Re: the GR2's - I have always known them to be a very durable strut; I don't believe they will wear prematurely unless they're lowered below 1.6" from stock. I've run into many people who swear by this strut as a performance value.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:54 PM

The only difference in the $20 on ebay and the $80-100 is the brand. If you dont care about the brand save urself some money, they are the same!
Old 01-17-2003, 07:21 PM

I didn't think GR2s could handle any drop.... Isn't that what AGXs are for (besides the fact that they are adjustable)?

Gange
Old 01-17-2003, 07:32 PM
Dev

Originally posted by The Gange
I didn't think GR2s could handle any drop.... Isn't that what AGXs are for (besides the fact that they are adjustable)?

Gange
actually GR-2's aren't designed for any type of drop. they are stock replacements.
they will last longer than oem shocks just cause they're new, and stock shocks probably already have a lot of mileage on them.
but they will be mushy with lowering springs.
agx will dampen a lowered car more appropriately.
Old 01-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Just ordered new suspension!

Sorry to hear this my friend. I just recieved my B&Gs from shox.com for $159! You just gotta know how to talk to people. Also in your sig you said supercharger soon to come. Well I got one to sell you with alot of goodies. HERE!