4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Skyline Bumper Fitment?!?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:43 AM

Skyline Bumper Fitment?!?!?!?!

I ordered a Skyline Type-S Front Bumper and i am having fitment issues with it.I was wondering if the people who already have them have had the same problems.

- There is a gap between the headlights and the bumper itself. 1"-2" in places
- I know the reinforcement has to be removed, but the actual bar that the bumper attachs too had to be taken off to even think about getting it on.
- the sides where the bumper wraps around the fender are all screwed up and wont fit flush against the fender.

HOW did you guys install this bumnper???
...with out MAJOR modifications. I know that aftermarket bumpers take a little TLC to get them to look good but a 1"-2" gap from the bumper to the headlights is a major problem.

I have pics but in the porcess of getting them posted.
Old 01-17-2003, 03:21 PM

out of all those people that have this bumper, no one can help me out here??
Old 01-17-2003, 04:14 PM
living out of a maxima...

Originally posted by Swafford98
out of all those people that have this bumper, no one can help me out here??
why don't you try searching mr. impatient?
Old 01-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Jedi Knight

you're not the first to have issue and I'm sure not the last...just do a quick search as suggested..and you'll see
Old 01-17-2003, 04:38 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

People that had problems just pay $$$ and let the body shop deal with it.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:47 PM

search does not help any of my questions... Being that i am not a new person to this board, i know how to use the search function and have used it for this question.

Since neither of you have this bumper and dont have any info as to help me out then i dont really see your need to post on this thread.

The reason i am asking this question is that Advan styiling insists that my bumper will fit, but the way that the body shop has gotten it to fit there is no way this is supposed to look the way it does.

I have had an extremely hard time trying to get answers from ADVAN themselves but they are NOT willing to help me out at all. I am in the process of working this out with Ange a.k.a 97MaxGurl.I do not want to go into all of the problems with them at this time until the final decision has been made as to what they plan to do about it.

AGAIN.. I am looking for anyone that has had these same problems as me.
Old 01-17-2003, 05:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wrong part maybe?
Old 01-17-2003, 06:28 PM
SKY----------

Originally posted by 1MAX2NV
People that had problems just pay $$$ and let the body shop deal with it.
I had the same problems with my kit, pay the money and take it to the body shop and you will be happy after it's done.

Old 01-17-2003, 08:29 PM

Ah, you gotta love the customer service of body kit companies. Does Advan have the standard disclaimer these days? Something along the lines of we know if fits likt ****, but if we put the disclaimer up first, then technically we warned you beforehand about having to pay big bucks at a body shop to get it to work and we are not responsible. I think that's the condensed version.

I don't have the bumper, but I have a Sarona and experienced similar fitment issues. For the fender wraparound part, my body shop guy actually had to pull the fender out slightly as well as heat up the fiberglass bumper and work it a little to get the gap down.

The headlight part, I don't know what you're supposed to do about that. But 2" is huge, especially in a complicated area like that. If it were somewhere else, it would be easier to fix.

When you have pics, I'll be able to see better your problems.

search does not help any of my questions... Being that i am not a new person to this board, i know how to use the search function and have used it for this question.

Since neither of you have this bumper and dont have any info as to help me out then i dont really see your need to post on this thread.

The reason i am asking this question is that Advan styiling insists that my bumper will fit, but the way that the body shop has gotten it to fit there is no way this is supposed to look the way it does.

I have had an extremely hard time trying to get answers from ADVAN themselves but they are NOT willing to help me out at all. I am in the process of working this out with Ange a.k.a 97MaxGurl.I do not want to go into all of the problems with them at this time until the final decision has been made as to what they plan to do about it.

AGAIN.. I am looking for anyone that has had these same problems as me.
Old 01-17-2003, 09:41 PM

Too bad Wing's West doesn't have a kit for the maxima. Their kits usually fit really well.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Shadow
Ah, you gotta love the customer service of body kit companies. Does Advan have the standard disclaimer these days? Something along the lines of we know if fits likt ****, but if we put the disclaimer up first, then technically we warned you beforehand about having to pay big bucks at a body shop to get it to work and we are not responsible.

thats the thing... they insist that the bumper WILL fit WITHOUT any fabrication. i just dont see it possible.
i am working on the pics. I have them , but dont have anywhere to host them.
Old 01-18-2003, 08:40 AM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

i am working on the pics. I have them , but dont have anywhere to host them.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by amixam98

thanks
Old 01-18-2003, 09:28 AM

Skyline bumper Pics

here are the pics of the bumper clamped onto the car.The reason for being clamped is that there the way to mount it with out drilling holes into it. I did not want to physically alter the bumper until i knew that it would fit correctly.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:04 PM
Cumalittle

looks like that shiet is sagging...

Old 01-18-2003, 10:35 PM

i also had problems with the front and rear of the skyline kit. the front bumper went over the bottom of my fenders and rivited in to the wheelwell, i didnt have to remove the front reinforcement, and the bar that the bumper mounts to, i do not know of what you speak. i can take some pics of mine installed if u want me to, tell me. i will do it tommorow if u want me to.
Old 01-18-2003, 11:04 PM

From that pic, it looks like the bumper warped when they pulled it from the mold. Sometimes kit makers pull the bumpers too fast to save time and money, and if everything's not cured yet, then it will warp. I've never seen a bumper fit that badly. Have you shown Advan the pics?

As bad as that is, I don't think there's much you can do to make it fit right. I mean the whole bumper is sagging.

Skyline bumper Pics

here are the pics of the bumper clamped onto the car.The reason for being clamped is that there the way to mount it with out drilling holes into it. I did not want to physically alter the bumper until i knew that it would fit correctly.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:09 PM

From that pic, it looks like the bumper warped when they pulled it from the mold. Sometimes kit makers pull the bumpers too fast to save time and money, and if everything's not cured yet, then it will warp. I've never seen a bumper fit that badly. Have you shown Advan the pics?

As bad as that is, I don't think there's much you can do to make it fit right. I mean the whole bumper is sagging.

Yes, i emailed them the pics. They have not been willing to work with me at all. I have to wait until Ange emails me back to find out the conclusion.

Rufus-->YGM
Old 01-19-2003, 02:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

when i had my car repainted i wanted the body shop to put the bumper on. they told me "no way, no how does it fit, we tried it and it's not even close... i've never seen a kit fit so bad". so i said... ok - and took it to initial d (the shop in brooklyn that imports the kit and who i bought it from). they fit it and painted it for me and except for it being a little off at the fender (no big deal.. i expect a fiberglass bumper won't fit 100%) the bumper fit perfect. now how can one shop say it doesn't even come close to fitting and another making it work? obviously initial d had much more experience installing fiberglass kits.

bottom line - check in your area for a tuner shop or some place that deals with fiberglass kits, i'm sure they'll be able to help you more.
Old 01-19-2003, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by CKNY
when i had my car repainted i wanted the body shop to put the bumper on. they told me "no way, no how does it fit, we tried it and it's not even close... i've never seen a kit fit so bad". so i said... ok - and took it to initial d (the shop in brooklyn that imports the kit and who i bought it from). they fit it and painted it for me and except for it being a little off at the fender (no big deal.. i expect a fiberglass bumper won't fit 100%) the bumper fit perfect. now how can one shop say it doesn't even come close to fitting and another making it work? obviously initial d had much more experience installing fiberglass kits.

bottom line - check in your area for a tuner shop or some place that deals with fiberglass kits, i'm sure they'll be able to help you more.
Did they charge you any extra money for them to install it??
Old 01-19-2003, 08:14 PM

Did they charge you any extra money for them to install it??
yeah because they painted it also.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:47 PM

Yeah not close to the headlights and grill at all.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:00 PM

Some shops are lazy and will say that just so they don't have to do the work. Any kit can be made to fit, but how well it fits and how much the shop will charge is going to vary greatly.

I'm sure that Swafford's shop can make the kit fit. But it may not be worth that much in labor costs for a $400 bumper. And looking at that kit, they're going to have to do a lot of work to make it look halfway decent. Is it worth it to pay $600 in labor to fit a $400 bumper when the bumper is obviously warped?

I've seen a lot of really bad fitting body kits, but that front bumper has to rank among the worst. And since nobody else has complained about the bumper being that bad, you have to assume that it's warped. Especially since nobody else's pictures show fitment that poor. So if it is warped and therefore defective, then it should be Advan's responsibility to take care of it. It's not Swafford's fault he got a warped bumper. It's not like all of their kits fit that badly.

Of course small issues within normal tolerances just have to be taken care of by the body shop. A half inch gap here, 1/4" there, is normal, but a 2" gap like that is unacceptable and even though they claim they won't, most manufacturers will take back a piece that fits that badly if you push the issue hard enough.

Originally posted by CKNY

Old 01-19-2003, 09:08 PM

damn! thats just not right. We spend over 500 plus on a bumper plus shipping with no way of getting a warranty or even a guarantee it will fit. I bought the same bumper, and its SO JACKED. The place where u would put fogs on a skyline, the bottom holes are wierd. It just look likek shiet! And it was cracked when shipped. It sucks, all i wanted was a nice bumper, not a defect piece of $hit. Man, hope u can get it fixed, but, one thing, advan or whoever makes them should help you out. if they dont give you a new one or even try to help, sue them.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:19 PM

If it's cracked during shipment, call up the freight company immediately as well as whoever you bought it from. The cracking isn't the fault of the manufacturer, but if you don't make a claim immediately, then the freight company will not take responsibility and you'll have to pay even more to get the cracks fixed.

Originally posted by dgpfx
damn! thats just not right. We spend over 500 plus on a bumper plus shipping with no way of getting a warranty or even a guarantee it will fit. I bought the same bumper, and its SO JACKED. The place where u would put fogs on a skyline, the bottom holes are wierd. It just look likek shiet! And it was cracked when shipped. It sucks, all i wanted was a nice bumper, not a defect piece of $hit. Man, hope u can get it fixed, but, one thing, advan or whoever makes them should help you out. if they dont give you a new one or even try to help, sue them.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

wow..i was just about to order a skyline kit for my car from custom maximas.....now i'm not sure I want to.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:57 PM

hhmmmm...now you guys have me worrying now. I have that front bumper at the shop right now getting the turnsignals filled in and shaved. I hope my front bumper fits. I haven't check it yet, b/c I'm still waiting on parts to come in to fix my car.
Old 01-20-2003, 09:36 AM

I'm sure that Swafford's shop can make the kit fit. But it may not be worth that much in labor costs for a $400 bumper. And looking at that kit, they're going to have to do a lot of work to make it look halfway decent. Is it worth it to pay $600 in labor to fit a $400 bumper when the bumper is obviously warped?

I've seen a lot of really bad fitting body kits, but that front bumper has to rank among the worst. And since nobody else has complained about the bumper being that bad, you have to assume that it's warped. Especially since nobody else's pictures show fitment that poor. So if it is warped and therefore defective, then it should be Advan's responsibility to take care of it. It's not Swafford's fault he got a warped bumper. It's not like all of their kits fit that badly.

Of course small issues within normal tolerances just have to be taken care of by the body shop. A half inch gap here, 1/4" there, is normal, but a 2" gap like that is unacceptable and even though they claim they won't, most manufacturers will take back a piece that fits that badly if you push the issue hard enough.

Finally somebody that understands my point
Yes the body shop CAN get it to fit, but fitting properly is out of the question. Like Shadow said and what i agree with is that why should i have to pay $600 to make it fit when i payed $450 for it. I just dont see that being logical??

Before having anywork done on something like this ALWAYS test fit it to make sure that it fits and where corrections need to be made to make it fit. I am glad to see that i am not the only one that has had problems like these.
DGPFX, looks like you and i are in the same boat and i am working on it. Ange is out of town right now and this has been put on hold for right now DUE to the fact that ADVAN has no intention to help me. All that is left is to get my money back becasue i have told the body shop to go ahead and paint an OEM bumper and leave it stock. My car has already been in the shop a week and a half and if i waited for ANGE to get back then it would be there for over a month for just a bumper.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:57 AM

PICS

here are some close ups
Old 01-20-2003, 02:33 PM

On a related note, who would be interested in a urethane Skyline body kit? It should be available by early next month, and my price is going to be less than the current fiberglass version is going for. Even cheaper if anybody wants a GB.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:12 PM

NOO!!!! Why!! i already bought a skyline kit! I wish, i wish, damn, i always have the wrong timing!

Shadow, um, want my skyline kit, its in my bros house, and ill let you borrow it, so you can copy it, then trade me for urethane!

How much cheaper will you sell it? Will you also sell them painted?

One suggestion. i say to make it universal for 95-99 maximas, add a grill skyline type, like the r33 type, to come with it either connected or separate. Like the altima body kit, the grill is connected.

If you do make that, it will be the second urethane body kit. Good luck on your body kit shadow! Ill buy it!
Old 01-20-2003, 07:18 PM

On this one, I'm not doing the prototyping. One of my suppliers is, and they've already got the template, test car and everything. So it they're saying end of the month, early Feb. at the latest. But until I actually see it, I'm not going to push anything. We all remember my last body kit fiasco and the Type II wing issues (BTW, the Type II is done, just building up inventory before we start selling it).

I'm not going to list final pricing until the kit is done. And the kit will be unpainted, too many issues with shipping to run the risk of painting them and then having it damaged during shipping.

Originally posted by dgpfx
NOO!!!! Why!! i already bought a skyline kit! I wish, i wish, damn, i always have the wrong timing!

Shadow, um, want my skyline kit, its in my bros house, and ill let you borrow it, so you can copy it, then trade me for urethane!

How much cheaper will you sell it? Will you also sell them painted?

One suggestion. i say to make it universal for 95-99 maximas, add a grill skyline type, like the r33 type, to come with it either connected or separate. Like the altima body kit, the grill is connected.

If you do make that, it will be the second urethane body kit. Good luck on your body kit shadow! Ill buy it!
Old 01-20-2003, 10:11 PM

On a related note, who would be interested in a urethane Skyline body kit? It should be available by early next month, and my price is going to be less than the current fiberglass version is going for. Even cheaper if anybody wants a GB.
jeff email me about this kit. i'm about to order a stillen lip but will hold off if you really expect it before march.

please email me any info you got.

thanks.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:41 PM

Re: PICS

How about some close up pics of the rear bumper

Originally posted by Rufus
here are some close ups
Old 01-20-2003, 10:46 PM

Hmm...maybe I'll hold off repainting my front bumper

Old 02-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

on a side note...what is the difference between fiberglass and urethane body kits? does urethane hold paint better?