4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Exhaust + ECU learning curve

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 02:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Exhaust + ECU learning curve

I have a stock 95 SE (had) and I need a bit of advice here. I will be getting my car dynoed right after my b-pipe is installed. I already have my y-pipe.

Anyway, this is what has happened so far... I got my y-pipe last Sat. I reset my ECU on Wednesday. I am getting my b-pipe this Sat. So here aer my 2 options:

1) Do not reset the ECU after getting the b-pipe (it is an hour drive to the dyno place from Budget)

2) Reset the ECU on the spot, after I get the b-pipe and then take the hour drive over to the dyno.

What do you think I should do or does it not even matter as far as the numbers?
Old 01-17-2003, 02:48 PM
lp

I'd leave the ECU alone till after the dyno.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:14 PM

Another suggestion was that I SHOULD reset the ECU since it should be able to re-learn everything in the hour-long drive after that.

Another thought I had though is that the y-pipe has two O2 sensors connected to it somehow... however the b-pipe doesn't have anything, so it would be beneficial to reset the ECU after getting a y-pipe but it doesn't really matter for a b-pipe... ?
Old 01-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

If you choose to reset the ECU. Make sure you floor it a few times and run through the gears. Make sure you run the car through all RPMs multiple times at part and WOT! Make sure you turn the car off and on a few times before getting to the dyno too.

ZuM

Originally posted by speedemn
Another suggestion was that I SHOULD reset the ECU since it should be able to re-learn everything in the hour-long drive after that.

Another thought I had though is that the y-pipe has two O2 sensors connected to it somehow... however the b-pipe doesn't have anything, so it would be beneficial to reset the ECU after getting a y-pipe but it doesn't really matter for a b-pipe... ?
Old 01-17-2003, 09:54 PM

The O2s are reading the exhaust flow. Since the Y pipe AND b pipe have changed, or freed up exahust flow, they will both affect the ECU reading. The y pipe will affect it more, but they both do. Do what Zumble suggested so that ECU re-learns everything if you decide to reset it.

DW

Originally posted by speedemn