4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Turboing my new engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Turboing my new engine

I just purchased a VQ30DE from the junkyard for $154.05... yes you are reading it right!!! Anyways, it has about 98000 miles on it and I am going to rebuild it and add the turbo to it. I want to make it as bulletproof as possible so that I don't have to worry about anything blowing up. I need somewhat of a list of things that I need to buy to do this, i.e. port/polish, cams, pistons, etc. I don't currently have a max since I sold mine to buy my wife her tahoe, but I plan on dropping this into a 95-96. I'm just gonna work on the engine a bit before I go looking for one. Anyways, I am sort of new to the turbo thing, so I don't know some things. Do I need to or should I buy one of these mevi's for it? Also, should I try to pick up a vlsd or a different differential? Money is not an issue as I love my tahoe and can wait to do this right. Please help me guys...
Old 01-17-2003, 08:23 PM

Re: Turboing my new engine

Originally posted by familyman
I just purchased a VQ30DE from the junkyard for $154.05... yes you are reading it right!!! Anyways, it has about 98000 miles on it and I am going to rebuild it and add the turbo to it. I want to make it as bulletproof as possible so that I don't have to worry about anything blowing up. I need somewhat of a list of things that I need to buy to do this, i.e. port/polish, cams, pistons, etc. I don't currently have a max since I sold mine to buy my wife her tahoe, but I plan on dropping this into a 95-96. I'm just gonna work on the engine a bit before I go looking for one. Anyways, I am sort of new to the turbo thing, so I don't know some things. Do I need to or should I buy one of these mevi's for it? Also, should I try to pick up a vlsd or a different differential? Money is not an issue as I love my tahoe and can wait to do this right. Please help me guys...
Unfortunately there are no aftermarket engine parts, like pistons, rods and crank, for the VQ. There are, however, camshafts that Jim Wolf Tech makes. They're like $1000 and add serious power. The MEVI would be a good idea but not needed to turbo your engine. Neigther are the cams. Cams require the ECU by JWT,which is $610 plus the core charge.

I'm missing a lot but there's way too much too talk about on this subj so I suggest you search. Good luck. Try www.turbomaxima.com
Old 01-17-2003, 11:03 PM

Re: Re: Turboing my new engine

I thought there were pistons available?

Originally posted by TheMax95

Unfortunately there are no aftermarket engine parts, like pistons, rods and crank, for the VQ. There are, however, camshafts that Jim Wolf Tech makes. They're like $1000 and add serious power. The MEVI would be a good idea but not needed to turbo your engine. Neigther are the cams. Cams require the ECU by JWT,which is $610 plus the core charge.

I'm missing a lot but there's way too much too talk about on this subj so I suggest you search. Good luck. Try www.turbomaxima.com
Old 01-17-2003, 11:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=135042&page=5

Arias pistons. JWT ECU and Cams.

Other goodies. PM Turbo95Max, although he may tell you to keep it stock because he has had many problems, where as the guys boosting on stock motors seem to do ok.
Old 01-18-2003, 12:18 AM
aka UNCDooD

Re: Turboing my new engine

Originally posted by familyman

maybe you would be interested in purchasing my car from me?

I've been pondering as to whether I can afford to keep it or not. I'm desperately trying, thats for sure. I don't know but if you are interested then maybe when it comes time for you to be in search of a maxima we can talk, but until the time comes i'm not 100% sure.