4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

what is going on? please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2003, 11:08 PM
Beast Mode!!!

what is going on? please help.

A month ago my alternator started to die. I left the car alone for 2 weeks, bought a new battery and the alternator problem dissappeared. So I've been driving the car for about a week, without problems. I took it out tonight for some 'spirited' driving, and about 50-60 miles into it the battery and brake lights come on. I pulled over, checked my battery connection(it looked a little dirty). However the usual burnt alternator smell was not there. Anyone have a clue as to what my problem could be? I disconnected my battery so I'd be able to get around tomorrow, but I don't know how far I'll get since evidently my battery isn't getting charged. What the hell...

-95SE
Old 01-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: what is going on? please help.

Originally posted by skuccio's max
A month ago my alternator started to die. I left the car alone for 2 weeks, bought a new battery and the alternator problem dissappeared. So I've been driving the car for about a week, without problems. I took it out tonight for some 'spirited' driving, and about 50-60 miles into it the battery and brake lights come on. I pulled over, checked my battery connection(it looked a little dirty). However the usual burnt alternator smell was not there. Anyone have a clue as to what my problem could be? I disconnected my battery so I'd be able to get around tomorrow, but I don't know how far I'll get since evidently my battery isn't getting charged. What the hell...

-95SE
Did you check your belts?

If your belt to the alternator is fine, then it's your alternator - to be sure, take it to an Auto parts store - most will check and alternator for free or a small fee.

IanS
Old 01-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You'll no doubt find out the problem will be solved by replacing the alternator. Before you spend too much time trying to chase this problem down, it's better to spend money on a good "load tester" available at any good auto parts store. The instrucions are right on it and it will tell you the condition of your battery and alternator, and if there's a drain in the electrical system anywhere, such as "is the glove box light on?". It's a very useful tool and in no time, you'll be an electrical system analytical wizard.

Have fun!

Jonquil
Old 01-18-2003, 06:40 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the new battery will help you for a little while...then the problem will more then likely come back again. I changed my own alternator 1 1/2 months ago, and the only problem I really had was putting the belts on correctly...which should have been easy but....anyways, I suggest an alternator before you ruin that brand new battery you got. If you want nissan to do it I believe they quoted my 1 1/2 hours of labor.
Old 01-18-2003, 07:34 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Re: what is going on? please help.

Originally posted by skuccio's max
A month ago my alternator started to die.

I left the car alone for 2 weeks, bought a new battery and the alternator problem dissappeared.
Why would replacing the battery make your alternator problem go away?

Your back at square one again with an alternator problem. Perhaps you should replace it this time around.