4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help problem with my auto transmision

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 08:54 PM

Help problem with my auto transmision

Hi there, well here i am again. Look heres my problem after some runs my car do this.(automatic)

Im driver for example on D...then i shift to 3 gear...without acelerate my car...and didt brake with the engine...the rpms goes like the car was stop (1000 rpms) if i put toch a little the pedal is like the engine start to brake thats mean compression. Another exameple, im driving on D again....and i shift to 1 gear...or 2 gear...the rpms goes again at 1000 rpms.. im talking at 60 mph, 40 mph etc etc...the engine suppose to brake with the engine and the gear...but dont!!!!! if i press the pedal a little again is like the engine knows that it has to shift to under gears...if i dont press the pedal the engine still like neustro...

If i shift to 1st, 2nd gear no matter the speed the rpms goes down 1000rpms...i have to press the pedal and then the car start to brake or accelerate if thats the case.
Old 01-18-2003, 09:28 PM

yes

im not speak english good...im from brasil.....and i have automatica maxima 95

i mean, im dribin on D...if i remove the foot from the pedal, and shift to 1 gear or 2 gear...at 40 mph or 60mph ...the rpms doesnt increase...it goes 1000 like i was stop or in neutral...i have the put deep foot on the pedal the make the gear enter...and feel the high rpms cause the engine star to brake.....but if i dont press the pedal(acelerator) the car goes like neutral.

just think a little if your are driving at 50 mph and shift to 2 gear or 1st on you automatic car...it will pull you to the front cause the engine is braking, compresion or whatever can say......but that dont haven on my car....is goes like neutro....i have to put my foot a little on the pedal to make the gear enter.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:07 PM

The car sounds normal to me. When the car is in D and if you let go of the gas its not suppose to be engine braking. If you put the shifter in 1 or 2 then it will engine brake.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:41 PM

i kknow

Originally posted by Nismo
The car sounds normal to me. When the car is in D and if you let go of the gas its not suppose to be engine braking. If you put the shifter in 1 or 2 then it will engine brake.

yes it supposed to do....you are right but as you told me if i shift to 1 or 2 gear has to brake....but it dont...until i press the pedal
Old 01-18-2003, 11:31 PM

Look....heres other thing i saw

well....i will be more clearly this time...

im driving on D at 60 miles per hour ok? and then i shift to 2 gear....the engine wait 7 seconds to shift and make the engine brake.
meanwhile the rpms goes down 1000rpms.

i tried to do the same at 80mph................i shift to 2 gear...and the rmps goes down.....(like my car was in N) and after 7 seconds...the 2nd gear appears.

i dont know why the gear wait too long to enter...before suppose to do inmedialty.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:09 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

why are you doing this in the first place?
Old 01-19-2003, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Keep your car in D. Your not supposed to shift from Drive to 2nd going 80 miles per hour, your going to **** your transmission. You have an automatic, keep it in Drive.
Old 01-19-2003, 06:17 AM

Originally posted by spanishrice
Keep your car in D. Your not supposed to shift from Drive to 2nd going 80 miles per hour, your going to **** your transmission. You have an automatic, keep it in Drive.
Exactly.
Old 01-19-2003, 08:31 AM

Re: Help problem with my auto transmision

Originally posted by sebaxx
Hi there, well here i am again. Look heres my problem after some runs my car do this.(automatic)

Im driver for example on D...then i shift to 3 gear...without acelerate my car...and didt brake with the engine...the rpms goes like the car was stop (1000 rpms) if i put toch a little the pedal is like the engine start to brake thats mean compression. Another exameple, im driving on D again....and i shift to 1 gear...or 2 gear...the rpms goes again at 1000 rpms.. im talking at 60 mph, 40 mph etc etc...the engine suppose to brake with the engine and the gear...but dont!!!!! if i press the pedal a little again is like the engine knows that it has to shift to under gears...if i dont press the pedal the engine still like neustro...

If i shift to 1st, 2nd gear no matter the speed the rpms goes down 1000rpms...i have to press the pedal and then the car start to brake or accelerate if thats the case.

well if u drive ur AUTO like that, u will start to have problems now wont you? Its not a stick buddy and its not ment to be driven like one
Old 01-19-2003, 08:40 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

YOUR GOING TO FAST FOR THE GEAR YOUR SELECTING! The transmission is protecting itself from destruction by not shifting.

Please don't do that to your car anymore.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:04 AM

that was example

sorry dudes....i just wrote for example the 80 mphs....my problem happen on any speed
Old 01-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
YOUR GOING TO FAST FOR THE GEAR YOUR SELECTING! The transmission is protecting itself from destruction by not shifting.

Please don't do that to your car anymore.
Tom is oh so very right. PLEASE don't do this to your car.
Old 01-19-2003, 09:53 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Re: Re: Help problem with my auto transmision

Originally posted by FameMax

well if u drive ur AUTO like that, u will start to have problems now wont you? Its not a stick buddy and its not ment to be driven like one

well to qualify the "driven like a stick" comment, i've heard of autos being started in 1st, then shifted to 2nd, and then put into D while racing, but other than that, keep it in drive.
Old 01-19-2003, 10:37 AM

little sound

hey i check my auto trans....theres a sound when i pull the cablethat open the enter of the air...to the engine...is the other way to accelerate the engine without the peda...i mean under the hood...is beside of the cruse control cable too.

when i pull it thers a little sound on the transmision tank...over the car...i dont know why.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:16 PM

That would be the throttle cable, can you be more specific about the sound that you are hearing? Does it sound like metal to metal? Where does it seem to be comming from? What does it sound like? (ticking noise? whining or screeching?) Please be more specific. And as far as shifting into 1st or 2nd gear at 60mph, that would cause damage to your car that could be very expensive.
Old 01-19-2003, 04:56 PM

thiking noise

is a rare noise...and is under the car....exactly on the transmision fluid tank...