4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Axle problems with springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Axle problems with springs

I have gone through both drive axles in the last 2 months - I replaced the passenger side 2 months ago, and driver's side today.

After replacing the driver's side, I was pulling out of a parking lot, making a left while accellerating, and guess what? "click-click-click"

Passenger side is going again.

My car is on Sprints and Tokicos, and looking at the angle the axle sits at, I'm pretty sure that's what is causing the problem.

Anyone else have problems with axles going?

Also, I bought the axle from raxles.com, and stupidly told him my car was lowered - has anyone else done a warranty with them? How did it go?

IanS
Old 01-19-2003, 11:36 PM

Check your ball joints. I've had 3 driver side axles in the se-r since 2001 and that side has a bad ball joint. Have you noticed more wheelhop and a "thud" type sound when driving around?
Old 01-20-2003, 12:29 AM

I've read your other threads Ian and am concerned. I've got tokicos w/ intrax, which is a more aggressive drop than what you've got and my axles seem okay - for now?? I am developing a vibration recently. I'm not sc'd though Is it possible your strut bearing is bad? I'd hate to think both axles went bad so quickly. I haven't dealt w/ Raxles but I'd think they'd expect most of their customers to have lowered vehicles or high horsepower engines so I don't think they'd give you much hassle. What do I know though? Btw, I can't add you to the good seller list since it's locked but I never formally thanked you for all you did regarding my VI. I'm very pleased w/ it and am getting a dyno on Feb. 2. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:17 AM

Re: Axle problems with springs

Originally posted by iansw
I have gone through both drive axles in the last 2 months - I replaced the passenger side 2 months ago, and driver's side today.

After replacing the driver's side, I was pulling out of a parking lot, making a left while accellerating, and guess what? "click-click-click"

Passenger side is going again.

My car is on Sprints and Tokicos, and looking at the angle the axle sits at, I'm pretty sure that's what is causing the problem.

Anyone else have problems with axles going?

Also, I bought the axle from raxles.com, and stupidly told him my car was lowered - has anyone else done a warranty with them? How did it go?

IanS
IanS,sorry i couldn't find that tread you ask me to link,cause i think i read through it sometime ago,i'm happy to hear you solve your problem.But about your axle going bad in two month is sad Are you buying it rebuild(rebuilt joint assembly) or new(with the new joint assembly and old drive shaft)?The reason i am asking is becase my friend own a shop,when he changed the axle for his customer he always get the one with the new joint assembly on.He said because he always have the problem with the rebuilt in a few months(worst a few days)so i don't think your Sprints and Tokicos cause it to go bad,you might want to check with raxles.com to see if your are rebuilt and see if you can exchange for the one with new joint assembly.Hope this will help.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:26 AM
Langley AFB Sux

I have sprint/tokicos and have no problems.............perhaps you (since you are sc'd) might want to invest in better/upgraded axles?

Ive seen companies that make them high HP application.

Aaron
Old 01-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

The Maxima's axels at stock ride height have an angle of about 5 ~ 10 derees downwards.

Drop it on H&R's and the axels are prety much streight.

Drop it with Sprint or Intrax and your back to the 5 ~ 10 degrees only upwards.

The axel rotates, so which way the angle goes is irrevellent.

Remanufactured axels aren't the best out there. The slight angle really has nothing to do with it. Your axels see angles of 45 degrees when you make right and left turns. Thats what there designed for. It's a constant velocity joint. It's made to transfer power at angles. If it keeps failing, it's faulty. Take a look at a 4WD car such as a Subaru. Those axels come out of the differentials at almost 15 degrees. They don't fail......
Old 01-20-2003, 06:18 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
The Maxima's axels at stock ride height have an angle of about 5 ~ 10 derees downwards.

Drop it on H&R's and the axels are prety much streight.

Drop it with Sprint or Intrax and your back to the 5 ~ 10 degrees only upwards.

The axel rotates, so which way the angle goes is irrevellent.

But, problem arise whn you start hitting bumps. I had one axle die not long after putting on Sprints. The angle looks okey when static, but bumps and turns combined push the axle out of its optimal range of motion. Combine that with the extra power of the S/C, that's a recipe for dead axles.

I think Ian needs to get rid of the Sprints and go back up a little.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:29 AM

Good point with the bumps Ben.... But I still think it's $hitty rebuilt axels that are failing. You don't see many posts from guys with good OEM axels failing after they drop their cars. Usually it's always from somebody with rebuilt axels that has problems.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:05 AM

Good point with the bumps Ben.... But I still think it's $hitty rebuilt axels that are failing. You don't see many posts from guys with good OEM axels failing after they drop their cars. Usually it's always from somebody with rebuilt axels that has problems.

Umm....both of my OEM stock axles went after dropping, within 2 months, not rebuilds.

Only this last one was a rebuild, and he uses all new Ball joints, boots, etc.....raxles.com is pretty well known for making quality stuff.

Anyway, Seattle roads are notoriously bad, and I've bent my rims 6 times over the last 1.5 years. All of them but one only slightly, but it cost me $100 to fix every time. I try and be as careful as I can, but it's really hard to see pot holes when doing 60 on the freeway in the rain at night.

The freeways are so bad here that people have had public protests about it.

So probably it's a combo of being so low and the bumps and the SC. I'm also lower than everyone else I know - more like a 2.8" drop than a 2" drop. Noone knows why - I never cut my springs. My axle angle is more like 20 degrees, not 5 or 10.

IanS
Old 01-20-2003, 08:12 AM

Get rid of the Sprints.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:37 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Get rid of the Sprints.
haha.

Raxles are technically rebuilt. But, the only part that is re-used is the shaft. They use all new joints, so they are essentially new axles.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:44 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Get rid of the Sprints.
I 2nd that opinion.

Dave
Old 01-20-2003, 11:59 AM

So the next question is:

H&R's or B&G's???

discuss.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:11 PM

H&R - Nice drop (see my sig) descent ride.

B&G - Slightly more agressive then H&R's and probably 1/2 inch lower.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:12 PM
'Trynna' is not a word

H&R

So the next question is:

H&R's or B&G's???

discuss.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by mtrai760
H&R

H&R's cost a bit more tho...hmmmm.

Anyone here have experiences with B&G's? How's the ride? Do you ever hit your bump stops?

IanS
Old 01-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Eibach, just as firm as Sprints, but with twice the suspension travel.
Old 01-20-2003, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by mzmtg
Eibach, just as firm as Sprints, but with twice the suspension travel.
Wasn't my question.

(heard nothing good about Eibachs manufacturing quality)
Old 01-20-2003, 12:29 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Wasn't my question.

(heard nothing good about Eibachs manufacturing quality)

Really? I haven't ever heard anything bad about them.

Anyway, I love mine and I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:12 PM
Langley AFB Sux

I still dont think its the sprints............
Old 01-20-2003, 05:26 PM

Originally posted by Aaron95SE
I still dont think its the sprints............
i don't think it's the Sprints by themselves.

I think it's being 277fwhp + Bad Seattle Roads + Sprints.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:05 PM

i don't think it's the Sprints by themselves.

I think it's being 277fwhp + Sprints.
bingo this is the key young padawon.

frequently used high hp. you can tell me you dont use the hp that's under your right foot.
Old 01-20-2003, 06:11 PM

Originally posted by DAREN

bingo this is the key young padawon.

frequently used high hp. you can tell me you dont use the hp that's under your right foot.
Yes, but there's a heck of alot of cars a heck of a lot more powerful then mine without these problems....

It's a combination of the 3 - So what do I do about it?

Option 1: New Springs - cheapest option, will probably help the most directly.

Option 2: Move to another city with better roads - will cost too much, and I'd have to find a new job.

Option 3 - get rid of SC - yeah, right!

It is very obvious looking at the way they've broken that the angle the axle joints sit at with the Sprints is the majority of the problem.....the hp just helps it fail even moreso.
Old 01-20-2003, 08:25 PM
rmb

Yes, but there's a heck of alot of cars a heck of a lot more powerful then mine without these problems....

It's a combination of the 3 - So what do I do about it?

Option 1: New Springs - cheapest option, will probably help the most directly.

Option 2: Move to another city with better roads - will cost too much, and I'd have to find a new job.

Option 3 - get rid of SC - yeah, right!

It is very obvious looking at the way they've broken that the angle the axle joints sit at with the Sprints is the majority of the problem.....the hp just helps it fail even moreso.
Have you tried finding a source for heavier-duty CVs'/axles? Someone out there might have already ponied up the $$$$$ to design them....

-RMB
Old 01-20-2003, 08:39 PM

Originally posted by rmb

Have you tried finding a source for heavier-duty CVs'/axles? Someone out there might have already ponied up the $$$$$ to design them....

-RMB
Sure did - last month i spent alot of time looking - the best axles aftermarket I could find was what I have - raxles.com
Old 01-21-2003, 07:11 AM
I am Roid Rage

So the next question is:

H&R's or B&G's???

discuss.
Any more input on this? I need to make a choice in the next 2-3 weeks.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:33 PM

i feel you should try the B&G springs.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by DAREN
i feel you should try the B&G springs.
Stay with sprints bro..there has to be something else that is ruining your axles

-matt
Old 01-21-2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by matty

Stay with sprints bro..there has to be something else that is ruining your axles

-matt
There is too much angle from the tranny to the wheel (My car is VERY low, even for Sprints), and everyone that looks under my car cringes when they see the angle of the axles.

Well, I'm going with B&G's - I'm sick of the ride anyway, and I am sure it's a large part (not all, but a large part) of my axle problems.

I thought of a new theory today -

It's a combination of the following:

Bad roads
Hitting the bump stops alot on the bad roads, jarring the axles
Too much power
Bad axle angle

It's not any one of these things, it's all.....I'm sure of it.

Since my taxes already pay to fix the roads, and I love the power too much, Springs it is.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:31 PM

There is too much angle from the tranny to the wheel (My car is VERY low, even for Sprints), and everyone that looks under my car cringes when they see the angle of the axles.

Well, I'm going with B&G's - I'm sick of the ride anyway, and I am sure it's a large part (not all, but a large part) of my axle problems.

I thought of a new theory today -

It's a combination of the following:

Bad roads
Hitting the bump stops alot on the bad roads, jarring the axles
Too much power
Bad axle angle

It's not any one of these things, it's all.....I'm sure of it.

Since my taxes already pay to fix the roads, and I love the power too much, Springs it is.
I think you will be dissapointed...there are guys riding on Coilovers that are alot lower then you prob, and have no prob with axels..maybe its your auto trans eating them..IDK..maybe manual is different ??

-Matt
Old 01-21-2003, 09:35 PM

I think you will be dissapointed...there are guys riding on Coilovers that are alot lower then you prob, and have no prob with axels..maybe its your auto trans eating them..IDK..maybe manual is different ??

-Matt
Well, there is another theory I've been a little too embarassed to mention - and it didn't occur to me that it could be it...BUT.

A mechanic put GL5 Tranny Fluid in there. My tranny shifted WAY hard.....I thought that was normal for the VB Mod, (got it at same time as the tranny flush that got GL5 in there) but after flushing it with Dextron III, it's alot softer.

It could have been that, I suppose.

Interestingly, I thought my tranny would have been toast with the GL5 after a few weeks, so I never imagined that it was the wrong fluid - drove like that for 6 months....

Flushed it with Dextron III once I realized what was wrong, and it shifts perfectly now, and smoothly.

Could those hard shifts have caused the axles to go bad?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:43 PM

I really dont know boss..I really dont think the springs have anything to do with it..the angle of drive, I thaught, didnt matter at all...Look at some jeeps with they raise them up theres no problem with driveshafts failing because of angles...granted thats different then your situation, but pretty much the same aspect of it all..theres a joint there that can move, right ? how much have you spent all together on axels ?? Im looking for a drivers side for my LSD tranny, and im prob gonna have Marty rebuild one from a junkyard...since NISSAN is expensive as he**...just for the spline from Nissan is 160$...I can get a used axel for half that hopefully..

-Matt
Old 01-21-2003, 09:47 PM

I really dont know boss..I really dont think the springs have anything to do with it..the angle of drive, I thaught, didnt matter at all...Look at some jeeps with they raise them up theres no problem with driveshafts failing because of angles...granted thats different then your situation, but pretty much the same aspect of it all..theres a joint there that can move, right ? how much have you spent all together on axels ?? Im looking for a drivers side for my LSD tranny, and im prob gonna have Marty rebuild one from a junkyard...since NISSAN is expensive as he**...just for the spline from Nissan is 160$...I can get a used axel for half that hopefully..

-Matt
Heh - Nissan wanted to charge me $640 for the passenger side axle!!!!

LABOR NOT INCLUDED!!!!

I farking hate dealerships.....

I paid marti at raxles $185 shipped for the passenger side axle....he hasn't charged me yet for the driver's side, but I think it was like $130 shipped.
Old 01-21-2003, 09:51 PM

I have a unique problem with my tranny. 96 I-30 5spd Locking..leaking out the drivers side axel and marty said, and he is serious, that nissan changed the splines in 95 and didnt tell axel companies around the USA that they changed it..so if you were to buy one from an auto parts store, its junk and there using the wrong spline configuration, he said...he said it will leak and cause vibration through axceleration, and thats whats mine is doing at 2500 RPMS under throttle, any kind of throttle..the only way to do it right is to buy one from a junkyard and pay Marty 120$ to rebuild it..now the only one I found anywhere in the USA is $150 and thats the only one..

after that, if its still leaking, i have to rebuild her

-Matt
Old 01-21-2003, 09:53 PM

Again - my new theory:

Well, there is another theory I've been a little too embarassed to mention - and it didn't occur to me that it could be it...BUT.

A mechanic put GL5 Tranny Fluid in there. My tranny shifted WAY hard.....I thought that was normal for the VB Mod, (got it at same time as the tranny flush that got GL5 in there) but after flushing it with Dextron III, it's alot softer.

It could have been that, I suppose.

Interestingly, I thought my tranny would have been toast with the GL5 after a few weeks, so I never imagined that it was the wrong fluid - drove like that for 6 months....

Flushed it with Dextron III once I realized what was wrong, and it shifts perfectly now, and smoothly.

Could those hard shifts have caused the axles to go bad?
Anyone?
Old 01-21-2003, 09:55 PM

maybe... try a new axel and see