4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

A Bit Dissapointed!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 10:21 AM

Listen up everyone...i love the max..i love the way it looks, the great ride, all of the above...but i am dissapointed with the speed of max...at least mine anyway..
i see a lot of posts about poeple beating mustangs and integras and all that good stuff but honestly i don't think my car is fast enough for that.. i have a 98 and i know they are a bit restricted but they shouldn't be that slow..maybe my car is a lemon..im just dissapointed with the quickness of it.. even at WOT it's just not what i expected..

another questions for everyone..
while driving..what are your RPM's at different speeds..
for example

4th gear-60mph-3k rpm
5th gear-80mph-almost 4k

do these seem too high..maybe i need a tune up or something..any suggestions i would appreciate it..

saber
Old 01-06-2001, 10:28 AM

Originally posted by BlackMax62
... 4th gear-60mph-3k rpm ...
This seems about right.

... do these seem too high..maybe i need a tune up or something..any suggestions i would appreciate it..
[/I]
Your Maxima is a 5-speed. The relationship between engine RPM and vehicle speed in a stick-shift car is determined by the gear ratios. A tune up will have no effect on this relationship. The only mechanical malfunction which would cause engine speed to be excessive relative to vehicle speed is a slipping clutch.
Old 01-06-2001, 05:10 PM

Wheel spin?

What's the wheel spin like? I could chirp the tires pretty easily when I had it stock. Now with the y-pipe and muffler (and ohboy ... CAI monday), I have a hard time NOT getting wheelspin (mind you, we do have snow right now, but it wasn't nearly as bad last year when I didn't have the mods) ... If you can't chirp the tires with a fair amount of throttle, you got a dud hehe. As for fixing it, I'm not sure what to suggest, as the gains from a y-pipe aren't *spectacular*, they're really nice if you already feel your car is fast though.
Old 01-06-2001, 08:11 PM
Ramius83

Those numbers seem high

Ok, I have a 96' Maxima GXE auto.....When I am driving down GA 400, a highway in Georgia, I reach 80 and my rpm's are around 3000 and when going down the street at around 60, my rpms are about 2500. Your numbers seem quite high, yet again, mine is an auto. But I think if you are VERY disappointed with your 5 SPEED Maxima, than take it to a shop, because I am in NO WAY upset with my AUTO. Post back.

Erik
Southeast Maxima Group

Old 01-06-2001, 08:27 PM

80mph should be a bit over 3000RPM. If your car is at 4000RPM than there's something wrong with the actual car. The gear ratio is set and static. It's not dynamic (gosh wouldn't it be nice when they have variable gears in transmissions?). The ratios are set in stone and no matter what it should always be the same at the same speed.

About your car being slow, I don't know. A stock Integra GSR can beat a stock 5spd Maxima on the freeway, but it will lose badly to about 75 MPH. A Mustang GT 5Spd should take a stock 5spd as well.

When I got my Maxima when it was stock I remember if I floored it while driving in first the car would throw my head back into the headrest. Now with my mods when I gun it in first I spin like crazy. That's one of the ways I know I'm making A LOT more power than before.

Although, the refinement of the Maxima makes it feel like it's going slower than it is. First and second pull hard, but it doesn't seem that 3-5th pull hard. However, when I look at the speedo climbing so damn fast in 5th gear I know the car is quick.
Old 01-06-2001, 09:51 PM

At 80mph in 5th gear the engine should run around 3300rpm. Maybe your clutch is slipping?

Old 01-07-2001, 12:39 AM

His numbers are right for a 98. Nothing wrong there. I have no problem chirping the tires although it became harder to do after I switched from the cheap stock Eagle RSA tires to better gripping ones. Are you basing your opinion soley on RPM numbers at those speeds?

TMAX
Old 01-07-2001, 07:15 AM

Get a ypipe and a popcharger and

email me in the morning.

Your rev's are about right,

the max has cornering problems stock - you took care of that for the most part - without getting a new suspension

now you need the speed mod's -

as the RSB is to cornering

the pop and ypipe are to speed - get em.
Old 01-07-2001, 08:23 AM

Re: Get a ypipe and a popcharger and

Originally posted by rp95se
email me in the morning.

Your rev's are about right,

the max has cornering problems stock - you took care of that for the most part - without getting a new suspension

now you need the speed mod's -

as the RSB is to cornering

the pop and ypipe are to speed - get em.
my car drives great at 55mph don't know about 130mph. my car is very slow.
Old 01-07-2001, 09:48 AM

thanks for the input

Thanks for all the input..

As a reply to some or your questions..

Wheel spin is not that bad...i know that if i pop the clutch at about 1500-2000 rpms i get that "bumpy start" and it feels slike the wheels are jumping a bit..hard to explain..my first gear climbs so fast in rpms.. i wish it didn't because i can't wind it out cause it jumps so quick..

About the clutch slipping..how do you know if the clutch is slipping. any tests to do..?? i don't think this is the case..

My rpms..seem very smooth when driving at higher end speeds..i checked again today while driving and the rpms seemed about 3300-3500 at around 80mph..

Let me know about this slipping clutch deal cause it may be a problem that i need to address..

Are gains with Y pipe and CAI noticable..because they are on the way..

Thanks again for all feedback..

saber
Old 01-07-2001, 10:02 AM

Well, if you are between 3300 and 3500rpm at 80mph, it's probably just fine.

Old 01-07-2001, 10:05 AM

slipping clutch??

how do you tell..anybody???
thanks

saber
Old 01-07-2001, 10:28 AM

Re: slipping clutch??

how do you tell..anybody???
thanks

saber
Travel in 5th gear at 50 mph and abruptly floor the
accelerator. If the tach and engine sound indicate the engine revving up
but the speedometer shows little or no increase, the clutch is slipping.
The sensation of a slipping clutch is similar to spinning your wheels on
ice. Lots of revs, not much acceleration.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:44 PM

Re: thanks for the input

The best way to check for a slipping clutch is to drive up a hill. When you get to the hill put the max in fourth gear and floor it, if the engine revs high with little speed increase and then the revs slow down a little and speed starts to increase then you've got yourself a slipping clutch. If this is your problem and you replace your clutch go with a high performance clutch like the dual friction clutch that centerforce makes.

Thanks for all the input..

As a reply to some or your questions..

Wheel spin is not that bad...i know that if i pop the clutch at about 1500-2000 rpms i get that "bumpy start" and it feels slike the wheels are jumping a bit..hard to explain..my first gear climbs so fast in rpms.. i wish it didn't because i can't wind it out cause it jumps so quick..

About the clutch slipping..how do you know if the clutch is slipping. any tests to do..?? i don't think this is the case..

My rpms..seem very smooth when driving at higher end speeds..i checked again today while driving and the rpms seemed about 3300-3500 at around 80mph..

Let me know about this slipping clutch deal cause it may be a problem that i need to address..

Are gains with Y pipe and CAI noticable..because they are on the way..

Thanks again for all feedback..

saber