4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rattle in my rear end.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 08:05 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Rattle in my rear end.....

The suspension that is....

I noticed it about 2 weeks ago. Sort of like a lite knocking sound, kind of like the shock is lose. I can hear it at slow speeds really good. Gravel makes it go nuts. I have the Addco bar, didn't check the bushings on that yet, the shock mounts are tight. Sounds like a bushing is worn out someplace on the beam setup. It's to damn cold to get the car up on ramps right now. Maybe I'll put it up on the lift at the body shop tomorrow.

It's driving me nuts!
Old 01-27-2003, 09:11 AM
Jedi Knight

you might need to change...

your adult diaper!!...(punk) but I think you already know what the problem may be...you're being a post-***** (me too).
Old 01-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Check your compartment with the jack? or a rock or something with the sparetire.
Old 01-27-2003, 10:25 AM

Originally posted by 96BLUMAX
Check your compartment with the jack? or a rock or something with the sparetire.
Went over all that stuff lunch time today. Everything in my trunk is secure.

nupe500 - Me? Post *****? NEVER!
Old 01-27-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm so hood

Is it something you can hear just by doing the old 'push down on the corner' shock test in the rear?

Heh...you'd LOVE my max...it rides so smushy these days, and there's so many rattles now that it's winter and I have to bump my system with the windows up Actually it probably rides sloppy enough that you'd like the 'softness', what with the recent posts about the max riding harsh on KYBs and the Z being way too taut

One of these days I need to hop in the trunk and ride around for a bit, figure out the main trunk rattle(s). That's the most annoying really (I have my pass-thru open all the time for the stereo).
Old 01-27-2003, 11:18 AM

yeah you're right about the weather....That's why I haven't called you about my front right. did you check in the spare tire well? sometimes the littles thing coudl fall in there and make a lot of noise
Old 01-27-2003, 11:37 AM

It's definately not inside the car. Sounds like it's sort of coming from the right side more so then the left. It's not the brake caliper, tested that lunch time too. Upper shock mount is secure, actually it could be a valve in the shock thats gone bad. Had that happen in my Honda, hummm now that I think about it, it's sort of the same noise. Could it be an AGX gone bad? There still tight, thats for sure.

I'll get the car on the lift tomorrow night.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:07 PM

Re: Rattle in my rear end.....

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
The suspension that is....

I noticed it about 2 weeks ago. Sort of like a lite knocking sound, kind of like the shock is lose. I can hear it at slow speeds really good. Gravel makes it go nuts. I have the Addco bar, didn't check the bushings on that yet, the shock mounts are tight. Sounds like a bushing is worn out someplace on the beam setup. It's to damn cold to get the car up on ramps right now. Maybe I'll put it up on the lift at the body shop tomorrow.

It's driving me nuts!
Make sure your spare tire is locked down at tight as possible. My sub used to make it rattle like mad until I tightened it down.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:24 PM

It might be you exhaust pipe rubbing on something or even a heat losse sheild around the pipe. It may be worth checking. (my was loose but the whole system is corroded)
Old 01-27-2003, 01:13 PM

I have what sounds like the exact same problem. I only have 30K on my shocks so it better not be them. Mine goes away when warm though. When it gets above zero I plan to take a look.
Old 01-27-2003, 02:43 PM

With my custom cat back and test pipe there is less weight on the exhaust causing the b-pipe to bounce on that support alot...it makes a noise just like that sometimes...
Old 01-28-2003, 09:46 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I had a similar noise on my 96 SE, and found that it was the third brake light in the wing making the noise. I ended up pulling the brake light off and putting a thin piece of two-sided tape between the light and the wing and reinstalling the light and it took care of the noise. Don’t know if this is the same noise or not but it sure was annoying for me.
Realhp
Old 01-28-2003, 10:27 PM
Custom User Title...

i have a noise that drives me nuts now...i think it's my exhaust banging against my recently installed addco sway bar. my stepdad put something there to flatten out the noise so it's not as bad, but it still drives me nuts. have you checked that?
Old 01-29-2003, 05:58 AM

UPDATE

I had the car up on a lift last night. I went over every bolt and bushing on the rear beam setup. I even gave the Addco bar a re-torque. I changed the AGX setting from 1 up to 3. Checked brake calipers, pads, wheel bearings, nothing is lose under there. The exhaust hangers are perfect, the muffler doesn't contact anything when you move it around. I can't find any signs of bushing wearing out. The rear is tight.

Seems like it's gotten slightly better, I'm begining to think it's a valve inside one of the rear AGX's that doesn't like this cold weahter.
Old 01-29-2003, 07:40 AM

Is it the license tag loose contacting the metal bumper?
Old 01-29-2003, 07:45 AM

I'll check that at lunch time today!
Old 01-29-2003, 08:01 AM

Re: UPDATE

I had the car up on a lift last night. I went over every bolt and bushing on the rear beam setup. I even gave the Addco bar a re-torque. I changed the AGX setting from 1 up to 3. Checked brake calipers, pads, wheel bearings, nothing is lose under there. The exhaust hangers are perfect, the muffler doesn't contact anything when you move it around. I can't find any signs of bushing wearing out. The rear is tight.

Seems like it's gotten slightly better, I'm begining to think it's a valve inside one of the rear AGX's that doesn't like this cold weahter.
Hey hey I have the exact same noise !! I know what kind of noise your talking about. I've been hearing it for a week now and its coming from my right rear. I can't figure out what it is. However, I do know its not something loose in the spare tire well or the jack compartment. Since you are an expert in suspension, please let us know when you find the source of the noise. I am riding on my 130k miles old stock shocks. Do u think that could be the problem?

You talked about the bushings on the rear beam. Although Ive taken apart my suspension many times, I dont know too much about the rest of the rear beam setup. Where and how many bushings do we have and how do I check for worn bushings? Can a worn bushing make this kind of noise?

Instead of the usual "knock knock" or "BANG bang", I heard ONCE, and it did it only once, the "banging noise" lasted for a good 2 seconds. Like the kind of grinding/twisting noise you would expect to get generated when the frame twists during a turn, and because of this I was suspecting maybe a component in the rear beam has worn out.(although I dont know anything about the rest of the rear suspension).
And if the noise was coming from a worn shock, it would make the noise when you do the "push down the bumper" test right? Mine doesnt.

HELP !!!!! This is driving me nuts !!
Old 02-02-2003, 12:45 PM

UPDATE - RATTLE SOURCE FOUND!

Well I had enough of my clunky rear end, so today with a little help I went for a ride in my trunk. It was immediately apparnt that it was shock related. I pulled down the trunk lining only to find both rear shock pistons bouncing up and down in the mount. I tried to tighten up the nut but it seems like I'm out of thread on the shock. So basically I need new bushings for the shock piston mounts.

I can't wait to see what Nissan gets for these 4 bushings.
Old 02-02-2003, 07:10 PM

Re: UPDATE - RATTLE SOURCE FOUND!

Well I had enough of my clunky rear end, so today with a little help I went for a ride in my trunk. It was immediately apparnt that it was shock related. I pulled down the trunk lining only to find both rear shock pistons bouncing up and down in the mount. I tried to tighten up the nut but it seems like I'm out of thread on the shock. So basically I need new bushings for the shock piston mounts.

WOOHOO!! I was waiting for your update !
ohh ok.. hmm.. Bushings.. What did these look like? Any pics??
I hope thats my problems too.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:40 PM

Re: UPDATE - RATTLE SOURCE FOUND!

Hmm, glad to hear you found what was the problem. I'm having the exact same problem, but mine is on the rear driverside. Its weird, sometimes when I'm driving at low speeds I can hear rattling and creaking, but it goes away at higher speeds. When I push down on the rear bumper, it just creaks, no banging or rattling, like something is wrong with my shock. Maybe it doesn't like cold weather, or maybe its time for replacement since they've (KYB GR2) been used for about 60K miles with Intrax springs. I think I'll wait till the weather gets warm to see if it goes away, but I still found this thread useful and its been saved on my computer.

-Ben
Old 02-03-2003, 05:28 AM

I bet both you guys have the same noise I have. Sort of a low clunking that you hear when your going real slow. Sounds like shocks right??? Well it is sort of, I'm headed to Nissan at lunch today to see which bushings I need. I will post pics this afternoon.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:51 AM

I bet both you guys have the same noise I have. Sort of a low clunking that you hear when your going real slow. Sounds like shocks right??? Well it is sort of, I'm headed to Nissan at lunch today to see which bushings I need. I will post pics this afternoon.
You and I have similar problems w/ our AGX's. I have that noise on my rear left shock (intermittent might I add) but when I pull down the lining, I haven't seen the shock bouncing up and down in the mount... I wonder what could it be. Mine sounds like a ticking when the shock compresses BTW.
Old 02-03-2003, 01:52 PM

I've ordered the bushings from Nissan. Here's an exploded view of the rear shock assembly. The parts I ordered are circled. Those bushings on my car are completely squashed down. They isolate the piston from the mount and provide a cushion to absorb any noise. Hopefully the new parts will be able to hold the piston from moving so much and stop the small clunk from my rear end.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:46 PM

I've ordered the bushings from Nissan. Here's an exploded view of the rear shock assembly. The parts I ordered are circled. Those bushings on my car are completely squashed down. They isolate the piston from the mount and provide a cushion to absorb any noise. Hopefully the new parts will be able to hold the piston from moving so much and stop the small clunk from my rear end.

ohhhh. ok this helps tremendously. Thank you so much for your help. I see how when that part is crushed the shock will move up and down and make that clunking noise. But that piece is like a rock-hard styrofoam! How can that flatten out? I guess everything wears out eventually.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:24 PM

Originally posted by hokiemax

ohhhh. ok this helps tremendously. Thank you so much for your help. I see how when that part is crushed the shock will move up and down and make that clunking noise. But that piece is like a rock-hard styrofoam! How can that flatten out? I guess everything wears out eventually.
Hey, good picture. I check mine awhile back and noticed that my bushing was smashed to pieces and that I also need new boots. I guess one day I'll devote some time to changing those oem pieces, before actually trying to replace the shocks themselves. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:30 AM

Nice pic NJMax.

When I ordered my KYB's and also ordered the New mounts for all of the shocks, I got part 56217 for the rear 2 only. So maybe that has cause problems w/ this shock in the past (w/ past customers).
Old 02-04-2003, 06:04 AM

I was going to only order the top bushing as well, but then I figured it would be best to change the whole set. I've had the damn suspension apart so many times, I'm sure there shot as well.
Old 02-08-2003, 06:11 AM

UPDATE:

The bushings have arrived. I'll be putting them in this afternoon at the shop.

Stay tuned to see if my clunky a$$ gets quite once again.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:43 AM

how much did nissan charge for them?

Kev
Old 02-08-2003, 02:53 PM

Took the shocks out and apart. The busings were a little compressed but not bad at all. That was my first clue that the noise would still be there. Cleaned, checked reassembled with new bushings. Even the gaskets that isolate the mount from the chassis was perfect. But the slight low level clunky noise when your just crawling along is still there. I have to ride in the flippin trunk again to see if the pistons still have as much free play as they did before.

Anybody need a slightly used set of bushings?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:48 AM

Took the shocks out and apart. The busings were a little compressed but not bad at all. That was my first clue that the noise would still be there. Cleaned, checked reassembled with new bushings. Even the gaskets that isolate the mount from the chassis was perfect. But the slight low level clunky noise when your just crawling along is still there. I have to ride in the flippin trunk again to see if the pistons still have as much free play as they did before.

Anybody need a slightly used set of bushings?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Man, I thought I was **** about the ride of my car. I've got the same thump-thump coming from what seems like the right end of my car. It's definately suspension related. I'm not worrying about it though because I spent a lot of time trying to find the source only to realize the sound disappears once temps go above 50 degrees.

Last weekend it was in the upper 60s and lower 70s. My car was rock solid and not a rattle to be found. Now it's back in the 10s and 20s and my car is a little more rattle prone and the suspension thumps are back. I don't worry about it because I can't hear it unless I'm going over a rutted surface with the stereo off and Spring is almost here. It's a 7 year-old car with a performance spring/strut suspension and 17s so I can't expect it to ride like a Benz. I will say that it rides damn good though, even in the winter. I've been able to dial out almost all the harshness by going with H&Rs.

Dave
Old 03-21-2003, 07:50 AM

Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread, but I have some important info. The source of my suspension noise have been found.

It was my bpipe that was thumping. The hangar near where the bpipe is clamped, it has gotten loose from the rubber. And strangely, it was only thumping during left turns only. I drove the car like this for couple weeks. Been busy with life and didnt bother to check under the car. How I found out the hangar had come loose is becuase one day, after lunch, my car had become LOUD. VERY LOUD. I was like what the hell... I looked under and guess what, the bpipe clamp had come loose and I had an open ended pipe. I had to to get a emergency fix (took the clamp off and had them welded. I was having a leak before anyways). Now, everything back ok.
Old 03-21-2003, 07:57 AM

Originally posted by hokiemax
Hey guys, sorry to revive an old thread, but I have some important info. The source of my suspension noise have been found.

It was my bpipe that was thumping. The hangar near where the bpipe is clamped, it has gotten loose from the rubber. And strangely, it was only thumping during left turns only. I drove the car like this for couple weeks. Been busy with life and didnt bother to check under the car. How I found out the hangar had come loose is becuase one day, after lunch, my car had become LOUD. VERY LOUD. I was like what the hell... I looked under and guess what, the bpipe clamp had come loose and I had an open ended pipe. I had to to get a emergency fix (took the clamp off and had them welded. I was having a leak before anyways). Now, everything back ok.
Glad you found out what was your noise. My rattlein the rear suspension seemed to not be as loud, I'm thinkingmaybe because the weather isn't as cold anymore, I don't know. I still have to replace the bushings in the rear to definetely get rid of them.

-Ben
Old 03-21-2003, 08:04 AM

I think the extream cold weather we had in the N.E. did play a role on that noise I had. Even after I replaced the bushings and torqued everything correctly, on very cold mornings the slight clunk was still there. I attribut that to the very stiff AGX's. Those puppies are like a rock when the temp gets down there.
Old 03-21-2003, 09:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

have you replaced the mounts?

Oh and Tom, if you're running on OEM springs for the winter, did you wrap them in better isolation sleeves?
Old 03-21-2003, 09:50 AM

Originally posted by Lime
have you replaced the mounts?

Oh and Tom, if you're running on OEM springs for the winter, did you wrap them in better isolation sleeves?
Yup, new bushings were installed. And the torque set correctly on the top nut. That shut it right up. It wasn't coming from the springs, it was coming from the top of the rear mount. Very clear once you took a ride in the trunk, which was fun.
Old 03-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yup, new bushings were installed. And the torque set correctly on the top nut. That shut it right up. It wasn't coming from the springs, it was coming from the top of the rear mount. Very clear once you took a ride in the trunk, which was fun.
yeah ... those bushings go pretty fast, IMO. We need better ones.........project? Lemme know if you wanna work on it.