4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

lifter noises on cold starts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 01:08 PM
Banned

lifter noises on cold starts?

is this normal? I can't figure it out or not.I've read the archives,and peoples personal experience with the some/same noise.Some have more noise, some less,but none the less most everyone experiences it.The car runs great,but occasionally i hear alittle noise on cold startups.Is this normal.any help would be greatly appreciated. 96 I 30.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:28 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Your car does not have lifters.

The noise you hear is probably your timing chain. If thats the case you may need a new tensioner. Does it do it when it's cold or do you hear it every time you start the car?

Also make sure the oil filter your using has the correct anti-drian back valve.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

The noise you hear is probably your timing chain. If thats the case you may need a new tensioner. Does it do it when it's cold or do you hear it every time you start the car?

it only does it when its cold,and not every time either.i use a k&n oil filter with amsoil 0w30.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:57 PM

The VQ doesn't have valve lifters.. you sure about that?
Old 01-30-2003, 06:42 PM

Re: lifter noises on cold starts?

Originally posted by 96_Infiniti_I30
is this normal? I can't figure it out or not.I've read the archives,and peoples personal experience with the some/same noise.Some have more noise, some less,but none the less most everyone experiences it.The car runs great,but occasionally i hear alittle noise on cold startups.Is this normal.any help would be greatly appreciated. 96 I 30.
When I lived in Seattle this would happen to me sometimes. Someone on the org told me basically that I needed an oil change cause the oil wasn't getting to the valve lifters. So I had the oil changed and poof, it went away. I heard the noise again a couple of times usally around oil change intervals and every time I changed the oil (I only use synthetic) the noise dissapears. Hope this can help.
Old 01-30-2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by pezking4
Yes, it's a bucket and shim design. Very durable and long lasting. Thats why valve adjustments aren't necessary or for that matter, any maintenance of the valve trane on the VQ motor.

It is possible to adjust the valves if for some reason you have excessive ware. It's a big job, requires a special tool to get the shim out of the bucket and you'd have to purchase the new shims needed from Nissan once you've figured out what sizes you need. You also need a shim table (from Nissan) to cross reference what's in the car, your measurements, and whats required to bring it back to spec.

This is not a job for the simple minded DIY mechanic. My Yamaha is equipped with this setup and unfortunately needs to be checked every now and then on the air cooled 1200cc engine. I've done several valve adjustments on this setup. Takes about an hour to just map out the valve clearences, then the fun of pulling shims and determining what you need starts.

Do a search on the web and see if you can find some pics of the design, it's a very interesting setup.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I get this wierd noise sometimes on cold mornings too, but it only happens then. Some people say its the starter, some the timing belt, I don't think it's the oil change though. I changed the oil like less than 1k miles ago. Me and my dad use a Fram filter, but I hear thats no good. Any suggestions? Someting not toooo expensive.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: lifter noises on cold starts?

I had a 97 Maxima that sure gave a great impression of valve lifter noise. I am familiar with lifter noise and it sure sounded like it. It only did it very infrequently. I was running OEM filter and Castrol GTX 5W-30 at the time. My 3 other 4th gens never did make that noise.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I drive a 98 GXE (stock) and mine has done that on several occasions over the years (I bought it new...) Mostly when it's cold or when I've let her sit for a few days (like over a long weekend out of town or something..)

Never been a persistent problem and never shown any other ill side effects so I just chalk it up to my neglect.. hehehe.. My car gets ****ed when I let her sit.

Old 01-31-2003, 08:01 AM

hardknox
If you do an engine flush and change your oil it might help. But if it is your timing chain tensior it will only get worse over time. Mine did.

njmaxseltd
About the valve shimming. In all the manuals( ie haynes)and the factory shop manuals they have the procedure to adjust the valves as a maintenance procedure but everyone I talked to (even the local nissan dealer) have never done it. Have your heared of anyone checking there valve shims. I do have valve noice under hard accleration but nothing major.( 96 max se with 100000miles)
Old 01-31-2003, 08:50 AM

it only does it when its cold,and not every time either.i use a k&n oil filter with amsoil 0w30.
This may not sound correct, but I think your oil is too thin...you should use at least 5w30 Amsoil or any other good synthetic. The theory is that the thin oil gets up there faster when cold, but it maybe also draining back into your sump too fast. I've heard of others bumping up their viscosity a notch and alleviating the problem. You car is getting on in age (mine's a '95), they need all the help they can get
Old 01-31-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by maxger

njmaxseltd
About the valve shimming. In all the manuals( ie haynes)and the factory shop manuals they have the procedure to adjust the valves as a maintenance procedure but everyone I talked to (even the local nissan dealer) have never done it. Have your heared of anyone checking there valve shims.

I do have valve noice under hard accleration but nothing major.( 96 max se with 100000miles)
If your valves are lose you will hear them all the time regardless of engine load.

If your hearing what you call "valve noise" under hard accelleration I'd be willing to bet your really hearing Pinging possibly caused by your coils. What plugs are you running? What grade of gas? Switch brands of gas and see if it goes away. Have your fuel system cleaned throughly as well.

To answer your question, No I've never hear of anybody checking or adjusting the valve lash on the VQ.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:43 AM

thick oil

Originally posted by 95bluse

This may not sound correct, but I think your oil is too thin...you should use at least 5w30 Amsoil or any other good synthetic. The theory is that the thin oil gets up there faster when cold, but it maybe also draining back into your sump too fast. I've heard of others bumping up their viscosity a notch and alleviating the problem. You car is getting on in age (mine's a '95), they need all the help they can get
Thats what was wrong with mine. I would hear the noise when I first turned the car aon because the thin oil hadn't "coated" the lifeters, or whatever they are. I would literally shut the car off, pour in some thick synthetic oil make sure that I slopped all inside the crank case, then turn the car over again and the noise would instantly be gone. I knew to head strait for an oil change at that time.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by pezking4

The Nissan FSM calls it a lifter.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by Stephen Max

The Nissan FSM calls it a lifter.
I was reading the Haynes manual over the weekend and discovered that same thing. I don't remember where I read the bucket and shim design for the VQ, but looking back, I think I'm dead wrong about that.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:28 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I was reading the Haynes manual over the weekend and discovered that same thing. I don't remember where I read the bucket and shim design for the VQ, but looking back, I think I'm dead wrong about that.
No, you're right, it is a bucket and shim type of lifter.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:38 AM

Rattling noise at startup

Yeah, I am having the same problem. My max has(hold your breath) 160K miles(still running stronger than any spankin new rice rocket,though). I changed my oil to quaker state's high mileage formula, and I recently placed an oil filter w/anti-drainback valve--pureone $6. I still have the same problem, even though that is the only one.

Also, I was wondering if the oil sending unit had anything to do w/the noise. I bought the Wells aftermarket one after my factory unit started leaking, but when installing to the correct torque specs, it was only threaded about half-way in. I didn't want to strip the threads, so I left it that way and been checking it for leaks ever since, and not a drip. Any help? thanks
Old 02-03-2003, 01:17 PM

Re: Rattling noise at startup

Also, I was wondering if the oil sending unit had anything to do w/the noise. I bought the Wells aftermarket one after my factory unit started leaking, but when installing to the correct torque specs, it was only threaded about half-way in. I didn't want to strip the threads, so I left it that way and been checking it for leaks ever since, and not a drip. Any help? thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

The sender should not affect oil getting to valves and cams.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:59 PM

Mine started doing this at startup occasionally after I let it sit for more than 24 hours only around 180,000 miles.

I use only the OEM Nissan Oil Filter, Change the oil (2 quarts of Castrol 10w30 full synthetic and the rest Castrol 10w30 Dino Oil) every three thousand miles since it was new.

I think it seems to fit the timing belt tensioner diagnosis.

I'll bet that as all of the 4th Generation Maximas get up in mileage this will start to be as common as bad knock sensors.

I haven't made any effort to try to fix it yet. Still waiting to see when it gets worse.

White96MaxSE