4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cleaned trottle body, ecu problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 09:49 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cleaned trottle body, ecu problem

I am so freaking ****ed. Well I was cleaning out my trottle body, by the way there was so much dirt in there. I reccomend doing it but don't do what I did. I am so stupid! I cleaned it and I put the intake back on but forgot to plug in the hoses and the MAF sensor plug. I was in a hurry and forgot. When I tried to start car, it sounded weird, and it wouldn't start. Then I do it agian, I read the trottle cleaner thing, maybe I am supposed to leave it off for awhile. Then I look under my hood, I am like god dammit. I still have car on and I plug in hoses, starts sounding normal then I plug in my MAF with the care on. DOH!!! So I begin driving away, and I see my check engine light on, I am like nooooooooo. So I stop my car and I recet ecu. And check engine light keeps blinking on and off, if I push gas it goes off, if I let off gas it comes on. I know its that damn MAF sensor or the actual MAF. I reset my ecu a couple of times. What do I do? Hopefully it will go away in the morning or I am going to be ****ed. Help me!
Old 02-01-2003, 10:19 PM

Re: Cleaned trottle body, ecu problem

Originally posted by spanishrice
I am so freaking ****ed. Well I was cleaning out my trottle body, by the way there was so much dirt in there. I reccomend doing it but don't do what I did. I am so stupid! I cleaned it and I put the intake back on but forgot to plug in the hoses and the MAF sensor plug. I was in a hurry and forgot. When I tried to start car, it sounded weird, and it wouldn't start. Then I do it agian, I read the trottle cleaner thing, maybe I am supposed to leave it off for awhile. Then I look under my hood, I am like god dammit. I still have car on and I plug in hoses, starts sounding normal then I plug in my MAF with the care on. DOH!!! So I begin driving away, and I see my check engine light on, I am like nooooooooo. So I stop my car and I recet ecu. And check engine light keeps blinking on and off, if I push gas it goes off, if I let off gas it comes on. I know its that damn MAF sensor or the actual MAF. I reset my ecu a couple of times. What do I do? Hopefully it will go away in the morning or I am going to be ****ed. Help me!
if you forgot to plug the hoses and maf...maybe you forgot to plug other sensor...
Old 02-01-2003, 10:20 PM

What other sensor? I think there is only one on the intake?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:26 PM

What other sensor? I think there is only one on the intake?

there is the maf sensor and the intake air temperature sensor.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:28 PM

Ya those are both plugged in, what it wrong, did I accidently fry a circuit or something. Its making me so mad.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:32 PM

Ya those are both plugged in, what it wrong, did I accidently fry a circuit or something. Its making me so mad.
did you check the flash code with the check engine light?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:35 PM

Flash code? I don't know how to check codes... I need some sort of computer right? How much would that cost to get somebodt to check my codes?
Old 02-01-2003, 10:36 PM

This happened when i put my intake on, mine went off in like 2 or 3 weeks....
Old 02-01-2003, 10:38 PM

2 or 3 weeks? God dammit! My cara cts crazy when I am driving, like the MAF keeps turning on and off.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:44 PM

Flash code? I don't know how to check codes... I need some sort of computer right? How much would that cost to get somebodt to check my codes?
you can also check it with the check engine light and the screw on the side of the e.c.u.

turn the key on

turn the screw on the driver's side of the ecu(flat blade)turn it fully clockwise wait two seconds and turn it fully counterclockwise.

watch check engine light count the number of slow pulses then count the number of fast pulses.

it will show them more than once so don't worry if you don't catch it the first time.

i will try to stay logged in if you want to go try it right quick.
Old 02-01-2003, 10:50 PM

I didn't have the problem of the MAF turning off though....I only lost it once after I did a big burn out....i couldn't go above 2500RPM on the way home...thats usually a sign of MAF faliure....btw alot of times my CEL will turn itself off, I dont get it...
Old 02-01-2003, 10:53 PM

if these recommendations don't work, turn the screw clockwise to the stop for 2 seconds, then back counter-clockwise. It will start flashing, but IGNORE IT. Do this a 2nd time. Fully clockwise, then fully counter-clockwise. turn the key to off, then start up the car. Hopefully this works. I was getting some B/S error 07,06 after changing my fuel filter and PCV valve. I had to reset it twice in a row for it to take the check engine light off.

hope this helps,
-Chris
Old 02-01-2003, 10:59 PM

I can't do it right now, sorry. In the morning, I will try, I post how it flashes, okay. ****ing thing!
Old 02-02-2003, 04:13 PM

Okay at my job on my break, I went and tried to count the flashes like GTRMAX99 said,

1. one long check engine light
2. nothing
3. one short check engine light
4. nothing
5. one short check engine light

Then it repeats itself. It really makes me mad becuase it makes my car jump sometimes.
Old 02-02-2003, 04:21 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Okay at my job on my break, I went and tried to count the flashes like GTRMAX99 said,

1. one long check engine light
2. nothing
3. one short check engine light
4. nothing
5. one short check engine light

Then it repeats itself. It really makes me mad becuase it makes my car jump sometimes.
0102 Points to the Mass Airflow sensor or circuit short.

Your MAF plug isn't seated properly. Unplug the MAF and plug it back in. Make sure you hear the "click".

Reset your ECU and you should be ok.
Old 02-03-2003, 03:50 AM

**** I bet you I messed up. I am going to do it this morning, and if it still does not go away, I am goign to smash against a wall , so I cna get a 5-speed.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 AM

Disconnect the - from the battery and after a minute, reconnect it. I had the same thing with the CEL, flashes when you accelerate at all, goes away at idle sometimes...battery worked for me. I checked codes and found nothing. I got a 05 05 but it was still flashing. This was after a knock sensor replacement...Just try it...cant hurt.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by DerekJ212
Disconnect the - from the battery and after a minute, reconnect it. I had the same thing with the CEL, flashes when you accelerate at all, goes away at idle sometimes...battery worked for me. I checked codes and found nothing. I got a 05 05 but it was still flashing. This was after a knock sensor replacement...Just try it...cant hurt.
I have the same problem I am getting 05 05 every 4 or 5 days. I checked it out and it doesnt registar as a valid code. I changed the Knock sensor and cleaned the TB and installed a CAI. Also I disconnected the battery and left it overnight and still after 4 or 5 days the same code. What is up?
Old 02-03-2003, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by 95SEking

I have the same problem I am getting 05 05 every 4 or 5 days. I checked it out and it doesnt registar as a valid code. I changed the Knock sensor and cleaned the TB and installed a CAI. Also I disconnected the battery and left it overnight and still after 4 or 5 days the same code. What is up?
0505? Oh man, you are in serious trouble!!!

Goto here and go down the page till you get to ECU DECODER. Then enter in 0505.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by 95SEking

Goto here and follow the instructions to enter in 0505.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stephen Max
[B]

I did that man! I would think if no trouble recorded it would stop comming on very 4 or 5 days. I think something is up
Old 02-03-2003, 12:18 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 95SEking
[B]
Originally posted by Stephen Max

I did that man! I would think if no trouble recorded it would stop comming on very 4 or 5 days. I think something is up
Oh, sorry, I misunderstood you. So your CEL light is coming on, but all you're getting is 0505? That is indeed strange.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:28 PM

Well I will try to disconnect the battery, umm how do I do that? All I need is screw driver right? Which one do I disconnect first. It is ****ing me off. Also can I clean the connects to the MAF with like the stuff I clean the inside of my computer with? Maybe its dirty and cannot make a good connection......
Old 02-04-2003, 05:38 AM

Well I will try to disconnect the battery, umm how do I do that? All I need is screw driver right? Which one do I disconnect first. It is ****ing me off. Also can I clean the connects to the MAF with like the stuff I clean the inside of my computer with? Maybe its dirty and cannot make a good connection......
To disconnect the battery you need a 10mm wrench. Disconnect the negative side first, then the positive (although once the negative side is disconnected, the battery is in effect isolated from the electrical system). The reason you want to disconnect the negative (ground) side first is so that if you touch the wrench to the car while you're loosening the positive terminal, it won't spark.