4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help: Weird noises!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2001, 03:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Woke up this morning and everything was fine. Drove it to church with no problems. Then after church, drove a couple of people to go watch a movie.

When I was driving to the theater on the highway, thought I heard some noises coming from under my car. Wasn't too sure then. Pulled into the theater and noises definately got louder.

It came from the right side and seemed to be coming from near the center. Sounded like my brakes didn't disengage or something. A low toned grinding noise. Almost like "wuuud-wuuud-wuuud".

Watched the movie and came out. Noises disappeared. Then while slowly down on the highway for some heavy traffic, noises came back. This time, they got louder. And the "wuuud" sped up as I sped up and slowed down as I slowed down.

Drove a while longer and the noises disappeared. Drove into town and parked for a while again while I went to the arcades.

Came back after two hours, drove... no sounds. Driving my friends home and the noises came back after a while on the highway and I noticed it got really bad when turning left. Drove my friends home and then drove home. Asked my brother to stand outside while I coasted. He didn't hear anything outside but it was loud inside.

Drove home and made left and right turns all over my neighborhood. DEFINATELY when I'm turning left is there a "wuuud" sound. Nothing when I'm turning right.

I slowed down and the "wuuud" came, I turned the wheel right, coasted a second and it disappeared and then made a turn left and coasted and the sound came again.

Any idea what the hell this sound is coming from?

Again... sounds like a grinding noise, sounds like "wuuud-wuuud-wuuud", definately when turning left and speeds up and slows down with the car. Coming from the right side, under the passenger side. Also noise is intermittant.

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:30 PM

It's pretty hard to diagnose a problem without hearing it, but it sounds like the brake pad wear indicators. Pull the wheels and look.
Old 01-07-2001, 03:44 PM

Maybe a bad CV joint? Look under the car and inspect the cv joints - there are inner and outer ones on both sides. Look for split boots.
Old 01-07-2001, 07:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brakes?

Originally posted by sinewave
It's pretty hard to diagnose a problem without hearing it, but it sounds like the brake pad wear indicators. Pull the wheels and look.
Sounds like a silly question, but... shouldn't I be hearing those noises when I'm braking then? Cause I was coasting and stepping on the gas and still hearing those noises.

But... won't hurt to check the breaks... last time I changed them was back in June....