4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Time for serious tune up: oil and fuel system flush

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 08:16 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Time for serious tune up: oil and fuel system flush

Hey guys,
I think i am gonna go do one of those bilstein oil flushes soon. Has anyone ever had probs with that?

My main question is that I would really like to TOTALLY clean out my fuel system too, not just the chevron fuel additive. I have searched, and found some professional services, but if i want to do this locally, I am not sure what my options are. What is the best kind of professional service fuel rail\injector\combustion chamber cleaning out there? I mean that i would be willing to spend a good amount of money to know that my engine is tip top. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2003, 02:48 PM

bump
Old 02-04-2003, 03:25 PM

I've never done an oil system flush, but basically you just follow the directions on the can. You may also want some dino oil so you dont waste synthetic while youre using the flush.

Regarding injector cleaning, the cheapest way to get that done would be to pull your injectors and take them somewhere to be cleaned. That would basically involve pulling the intake manifold, so you can get to the injectors. On the fuel rail, you've got me
-hype
Old 02-04-2003, 03:36 PM

arent there some good 'on car' injector cleaning systmes, not just additives? maybe i am thinking of something else...
Old 02-10-2003, 06:09 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Miasma
arent there some good 'on car' injector cleaning systmes, not just additives? maybe i am thinking of something else...
Try the BG-44k 3 part kit. I did my 97 SE this weekend. It has 61,000 miles and was hard to start lately. When the engine was cold, it would die if I didnt blip the throttle for a second. After reading some posts, they said to clean the throttle body. This 3 part kit has the BG TB cleaner(works good!), BG44k fuel additive, and BG Air Intake cleaner. This morning, it started up like new! I dont know if I can feel any more HP or throttle response like others have noticed, but at least I fixed the problem. I'll watch my MPG also to see if that improves. I have heard Techron is good stuff but BG products are used by the "professional mechanics" therefore I think it may be more potent. Here's the website:

http://www.carfood.net/fuelsysclean.html
Old 02-10-2003, 08:08 AM

what is the air intake cleaner?

i mean, how is it applied? fuel additive? attached to the vacuum system while engine running, what?
Old 02-10-2003, 08:19 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

what is the air intake cleaner?
i mean, how is it applied? fuel additive? attached to the vacuum system while engine running, what?
If you look at the link I sent, it shows a "feeder tube" setup. Kinda like an IV for your engine. Poor the cleaner into the plastic IV tank, and it's fed to a vacuum source. I disconnected the PCV and used that hose to feed into the intake manifold. As the engine runs, the cleaner gets sucked into the manifold & eventually the injectors. Takes about 10 mins while idling.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:23 AM

so you hooked the hose up to which side of the pcv valve connection, the one on the manifold, or the hose from the top of the pcv valve? what did you do with the other end of the valve connection? just plug it up? thanks!
Old 02-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

so you hooked the hose up to which side of the pcv valve connection, the one on the manifold, or the hose from the top of the pcv valve? what did you do with the other end of the valve connection? just plug it up? thanks!
Hooked it up to the hose leading to the manifold. You dont want to hook it to the hose to the PCV valve, that will dump cleaner into your valve cover, then it will be in your engine oil
I did not plug up the open in of the hose going to the pcv valve as it was not mentioned in the instructions.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:48 AM

Originally posted by newdaddy

Hooked it up to the hose leading to the manifold. You dont want to hook it to the hose to the PCV valve, that will dump cleaner into your valve cover, then it will be in your engine oil
I did not plug up the open in of the hose going to the pcv valve as it was not mentioned in the instructions.
ok, thats what I thought. I will see if i can pick up the fuel additive and the intake cleaner, but i dont need to clean my TB, it is already spotless .

ok, so that would theoretically clean the fuel\intake system. i still want a good way to flush the engine oil. maybe for my next oil change. anyone have a good idea?

thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 12:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i still want a good way to flush the engine oil. maybe for my next oil change. anyone have a good idea?
I've never heard of a good reason to flush out the engine, especially in a late model car like ours. Did it not receive the proper oil change intervals or something? If you must flush, I've heard good response from people using Rislone(sp?) and Marvels Mystery oil. You can get a qt. of "engine oil flush" but you may want to change the oil 2-3 times after to make sure all of it is drained out.
Old 02-10-2003, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by newdaddy

I've never heard of a good reason to flush out the engine, especially in a late model car like ours. Did it not receive the proper oil change intervals or something? If you must flush, I've heard good response from people using Rislone(sp?) and Marvels Mystery oil. You can get a qt. of "engine oil flush" but you may want to change the oil 2-3 times after to make sure all of it is drained out.
i just want to get all the crap (sludge) out from years of use, no biggie. just seems like good maintainence to me.