4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oxygen Sensor Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Oxygen Sensor Question

Hello, My service engine soon light popped on the other day and I had a mechanic analyse the problem. Error code stated a bad O2 sensor. I was told that the approximate cost for the part was somewhere around 190$. I was quoted a total cost L&M for the job of 300$. I guess I'm looking for a sanity check here. Does this cost seem reasonable? It sounded high to me but I thought I would check with you guys to see if I'm getting raked on labor and/or material.
I've also learned that there is more than 1 O2 sensor, there are 4 of them. I'm taking the car to the dealer to see if he can pinpoint which of the 4 sensors it is. My regular mechanic did not specify which one. So, is that cost from my regular mechanic (300$) seem reasonable?
Thanks!
Old 02-06-2003, 09:58 AM
I'm needing a caw

One sensor is about $110 from Nissan(from the proper discount sources). Labor should only be 1/2 hour or so.

Do a search on where to get the 02 and for instructions on replacement.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:12 AM

Re: Oxygen Sensor Question

Originally posted by Cvol
Hello, My service engine soon light popped on the other day and I had a mechanic analyse the problem. Error code stated a bad O2 sensor. I was told that the approximate cost for the part was somewhere around 190$. I was quoted a total cost L&M for the job of 300$. I guess I'm looking for a sanity check here. Does this cost seem reasonable? It sounded high to me but I thought I would check with you guys to see if I'm getting raked on labor and/or material.
I've also learned that there is more than 1 O2 sensor, there are 4 of them. I'm taking the car to the dealer to see if he can pinpoint which of the 4 sensors it is. My regular mechanic did not specify which one. So, is that cost from my regular mechanic (300$) seem reasonable?
Thanks!

I sent you private mail, hope it helps.
Old 02-07-2003, 12:01 PM

Re: Oxygen Sensor Question

Originally posted by Cvol
Thanks!
My CEL just came on couple of days ago. Self diag says 0901, front right heated 02 sensor. It's the one before the cat on the right bank (rear) of the engine on the Y-pipe. I called around, OEM from a local Nissan dealer is $137.43, Courtesy can get me that for $103 shipped with org discount and actually I'm going to go get a BOSCH OEM kind for $80 during lunch today. Probably a pretty easy DIY job. I say you can find them a lot cheaper, check www.oxygensensors.com and do it yourself.

Tifosi