4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Oxygenated gas problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 01:51 AM

Oxygenated gas problems?

Is anyone having problems with pinging with premium oxygenated gas? (oxymoron).

My car has started pinging under light load/throttle or going up slight grade. I am assuming it is from a crappy tank of oxygenated gas I got at Arco. I usually cross the border and fill up with Chevron premium, non-oxygenated (45 cents less/gallon), so I don't know if I have a problem with engine, or if it is the winter gas.
I suppose I can drive around for 200 more miles until the tank is empty. If the gas is not a likely cause, I can't see pinging around for no reason. I should note I've only had my car for 2 months and 3000 miles (97 SE, 64k miles), so I do not have a brand new-to-now knowledge of how the car runs.

The sound is not the same as the louder, lower tone, intermittent "knock" you usually get with low octane gas.

Could it be a dirty fuel filter, which "might" cause a lean condition?? Anyone clear up ping by changing out their fuel filter??

I've read the many other posts on this pinging problem, but nobody has come up with a definite answer on a 4th gen Max ( like a TSB for coils for 5th gen cars).

I've checked my computer codes, and no problem reported. So I am assuming all sensors are OK. (I also checked continuity on knock sensor). By the way, I know for a fact that pinging CAN occur under certain conditions even if knock sensor checks out OK. If it is a light ping at the right freq/RPM, a knock sensor may not pick up the sound. It is not called a "ping" sensor for a reason.

Thanks, guys.
Old 02-07-2003, 06:58 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Oxygenated gas problems?

I am also new to my Max and have a similar problem. It only happens to me at or near WOT between 3-4k rpm's. I changed fuel filter (very dirty), air filter, and cleaned the throttle body. This has helped but not elliminated the problem. I think the injectors may be dirty. I also have no problem codes. Here in SE WI we have to run reformulated fuel all the time, it's crap. I'm not sure the best way to handle the injector problem, assuming it is the cause. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-10-2003, 01:49 AM

Re: Oxygenated gas problems?

Originally posted by Bgohan
Is anyone having problems with pinging with premium oxygenated gas? (oxymoron).

My car has started pinging under light load/throttle or going up slight grade. I am assuming it is from a crappy tank of oxygenated gas I got at Arco. I usually cross the border and fill up with Chevron premium, non-oxygenated (45 cents less/gallon), so I don't know if I have a problem with engine, or if it is the winter gas.
I suppose I can drive around for 200 more miles until the tank is empty. If the gas is not a likely cause, I can't see pinging around for no reason. I should note I've only had my car for 2 months and 3000 miles (97 SE, 64k miles), so I do not have a brand new-to-now knowledge of how the car runs.

The sound is not the same as the louder, lower tone, intermittent "knock" you usually get with low octane gas.

Could it be a dirty fuel filter, which "might" cause a lean condition?? Anyone clear up ping by changing out their fuel filter??

I've read the many other posts on this pinging problem, but nobody has come up with a definite answer on a 4th gen Max ( like a TSB for coils for 5th gen cars).

I've checked my computer codes, and no problem reported. So I am assuming all sensors are OK. (I also checked continuity on knock sensor). By the way, I know for a fact that pinging CAN occur under certain conditions even if knock sensor checks out OK. If it is a light ping at the right freq/RPM, a knock sensor may not pick up the sound. It is not called a "ping" sensor for a reason.

Thanks, guys.

Ok, Dummy. read your owners manual.
Wait, thats me.

OK. I got out my owners manual, and actually read it.

It has a section on oxygenated fuel. A must read for anyone that has to buy the crappy stuff.

Also, Nissan says not to add fuel system cleaners. Apparently, the throttle body has a special anti-gunk coating that can be screwed up by additives/cleaners. Don't even use spray carb cleaner on the thing. It said nothing about using octane booster.

I ran the Arco gas out, and refilled with Chevron. No more ping, so far. But I did notice I had more ping ( with Arco gas) when the outside temp was 40 deg or less. It has been above 40 since I refueled. The air density must be leaning it out more than the sensors can make up for. I likely have a sensor or EGR valve that is not quite right. Or maybe a weak coil or plug,or even a dirty injector. It's a marginal and intemittent problem, which is almost impossible to figure out on an engine with many sensors,a computer, individual injectors and coils. If something eventually fails completely, or a code is sent back to the computer, I will know for sure.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:30 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Oxygenated gas problems?

Bgohan,

The owners manual does talk about reformulated gas, but it is useless information if you are forced to use it.
Also, the throttle body does not come in contact with fuel, only air.
Nissan does not reccomend fuel additives, but many members have used them with no ill effects.
As for my car, the ping problem should not be happening no matter what the manual says. I have had other Maximas and not had it happen.
Old 02-11-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by Bgohan
Don't even use spray carb cleaner on the thing.
I shall clean my TB by staring at it and the longer I stare, the more excited the air shall get, and it shall gently lift the gunk off and my TB shall be clean.

Now that the gunk is off, the anti-gunk coating will prevent gunk from building up ... wait, why did I have to clean my TB in the first place then?
Old 02-11-2003, 12:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: Oxygenated gas problems?

Originally posted by BB99MAX
Bgohan,

The owners manual does talk about reformulated gas, but it is useless information if you are forced to use it.
Also, the throttle body does not come in contact with fuel, only air.
Nissan does not reccomend fuel additives, but many members have used them with no ill effects.
As for my car, the ping problem should not be happening no matter what the manual says. I have had other Maximas and not had it happen.
I mentioned throttle body because I've seen some people here say they took off air cleaner and hosed out inside with carb cleaner. Big no-no!

The "book" says to remove TB from car to clean out inside.
I'd like to put some cleaner in my tank, but afraid to because of warning in manual. Anyone know of approved gasoline additive to clean fuel system on Maxima?? I use cleaner my Chevy S-10. Makes a world of difference when system get gunked up after 15K-30k miles or so.