4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 11:14 PM

Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

I wasn't part of the original group deal, but I am sure gald I wasn't. I payed $268.38, $10 more than the group deal, but it arrived within 5 days of ordering it!!!! I placed the order this Monday. I can't believe it. I wasn't expecting it till end of Feb. the way others were talking? Install happens tomorrow, then back to the track as soon as weather looks good.

I will post some pics in a few mintues. (I know, you have seen it before but... lol)

Old 02-07-2003, 11:25 PM

Old 02-07-2003, 11:27 PM

Here is the rest: http://www.deadonarrival.net/clint/catback/
Old 02-07-2003, 11:33 PM

Re: Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

Originally posted by Victim64
I wasn't part of the original group deal, but I am sure gald I wasn't. I payed $268.38, $10 more than the group deal, but it arrived within 5 days of ordering it!!!! I placed the order this Monday. I can't believe it. I wasn't expecting it till end of Feb. the way others were talking? Install happens tomorrow, then back to the track as soon as weather looks good.

I will post some pics in a few mintues. (I know, you have seen it before but... lol)

Looks nice, let us know your opinion after you get it installed.
Sound,power gains/loss(low end), fitment.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:16 AM

For those that have recieved it and installed it.

How many seals did you get? I just got one? Was there supposed to be two?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:43 AM
Sports Button FTW

Re: For those that have recieved it and installed it.

How many seals did you get? I just got one? Was there supposed to be two?
i just got one as well...i think u can use the old ones...like the seal they gave u was i think from the muffler to b-pipe and the other side of b-pipe that hooks into cat, i guess u can use same umm, what u call it....seal, yea
Old 02-08-2003, 05:51 AM

Re: Re: For those that have recieved it and installed it.

Originally posted by meccanoble

i just got one as well...i think u can use the old ones...like the seal they gave u was i think from the muffler to b-pipe and the other side of b-pipe that hooks into cat, i guess u can use same umm, what u call it....seal, yea
if you go to a muffler shop to get it installed, they have all those gaskets.
Old 02-08-2003, 07:37 AM

Re: Re: Re: For those that have recieved it and installed it.

yeah, thats the word
Originally posted by 97GLES
gaskets.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:21 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: For those that have recieved it and installed it.

Originally posted by sil SE
yeah, thats the word
lol well, I guess I will call around to see who has gaskets.

Oh, considering I did my y-pipe, I think I will install this myself.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:26 AM
SLOW

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: For those that have recieved it and installed it.

lol well, I guess I will call around to see who has gaskets.

Oh, considering I did my y-pipe, I think I will install this myself.
You can get them from nissan they are like $6 iirc. I've replaced them before.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:52 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

how much

hey, for all of you that recieved the OBX recently, how much did you guys pay to get them installed? I just got mine in yesterday, and want to go to Midas up the block from me. They said $100 cash...usually I go there a lot, and they do 'cash' jobs...is this about the right price?
Old 02-08-2003, 10:14 AM
i SeE what you did therE

Re: how much

Originally posted by tzmanles
hey, for all of you that recieved the OBX recently, how much did you guys pay to get them installed? I just got mine in yesterday, and want to go to Midas up the block from me. They said $100 cash...usually I go there a lot, and they do 'cash' jobs...is this about the right price?
$100 to take a b pipe and muffler off, then install a new one?

there is no drilling or welding involved....
did you tell them this is just a direct bolt on?

were are you located.. i will do it for $100..
Old 02-08-2003, 10:36 AM

i am also courious how much you guys are spending to get this installed. i am going to order one soon
Old 02-08-2003, 12:55 PM

I paid $50 to have it installed at a Meineke near by. Don't settle for that $100 quote from Midas. The first Meineke I went to wanted $120

I told the guy it was a direct bolt on and isn't even a hour job and that he is nuts for charging that much, he said fine do it yourself

Last time I'm going to his sh.ithole of a shop!

Here's a pic of mine installed:

Old 02-08-2003, 01:16 PM

Re: how much

WELL....I just came back from a local mechanic that my parents bring their cars to...didnt even think about it the first time...they wanted $45. When he installed it (of course Im kicking myself cuz I forgot to bring my digi camera with me) the B pipe was hanging down a little lower than the stock one towards the end of the car. I asked him if he could put up some kind of flask (?) to hold it up more secure. He said he couldnt. The second problem is the oxygen sensor. The OEM sensor had different threads on it than the OBX pipe. He stuck it in as far as he could so its kind of tight, but he said it might come out eventually. Does anybody have the same problem?
Old 02-08-2003, 01:32 PM
CaLSoNiC

I got my custom set-up installed for $100...

Thats all the chopping, welding and the new b-pipe... $100 for a bolt on install is ludicris and you should kick them in the nuts.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:45 PM

Re: Re: how much

WELL....I just came back from a local mechanic that my parents bring their cars to...didnt even think about it the first time...they wanted $45. When he installed it (of course Im kicking myself cuz I forgot to bring my digi camera with me) the B pipe was hanging down a little lower than the stock one towards the end of the car. I asked him if he could put up some kind of flask (?) to hold it up more secure. He said he couldnt. The second problem is the oxygen sensor. The OEM sensor had different threads on it than the OBX pipe. He stuck it in as far as he could so its kind of tight, but he said it might come out eventually. Does anybody have the same problem?

My B-pipe is fine.
So is my O2 sensor.

Strange
Old 02-08-2003, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

Where did you order it from?
Old 02-08-2003, 09:06 PM

haha
Originally posted by CaLSoNiC
$100 for a bolt on install is ludicris and you should kick them in the nuts.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:07 PM

Re: Re: how much

raging alcoholic!

I asked him if he could put up some kind of flask (?) to hold it up more secure.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Re: Re: Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

Originally posted by max83

Where did you order it from?
Ordered it from ssautochrome.com Just told them I was a maxima.org memeber and wanted in on the group deal that had just ened. He said $268.38 shipped, and I said deal!!

Install went good. I HATE those dang cat bolts, but once those were off it was a cake walk. You will need to get the metal hose clamps to make the tip sit higher. Also, I don't like the design of the 02 Sensor port on the pipe because you can't get the socket around the 02 sensor deep enough to tighten it. So just had to use a wrench to tighten it.

As someone mentioned above, the b-pipe does hang a little low right along the rear passenger side door before it attaches to the muffler, but I don't think it is much for concern. I will take a metal hose clamp to the rubber hanger on the b-pipe too and see if I can raise it up some though.

This sound is low pitched and noticable. Much more than I had with my stock muffler and stock b-pipe, but I think I can get used to it.

I can't wait for the track to see if I can show any gains!!
Old 02-08-2003, 09:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: how much

Originally posted by sil SE
raging alcoholic!

Old 02-09-2003, 08:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

Ordered it from ssautochrome.com Just told them I was a maxima.org memeber and wanted in on the group deal that had just ened. He said $268.38 shipped, and I said deal!!

Install went good. I HATE those dang cat bolts, but once those were off it was a cake walk. You will need to get the metal hose clamps to make the tip sit higher. Also, I don't like the design of the 02 Sensor port on the pipe because you can't get the socket around the 02 sensor deep enough to tighten it. So just had to use a wrench to tighten it.

As someone mentioned above, the b-pipe does hang a little low right along the rear passenger side door before it attaches to the muffler, but I don't think it is much for concern. I will take a metal hose clamp to the rubber hanger on the b-pipe too and see if I can raise it up some though.

This sound is low pitched and noticable. Much more than I had with my stock muffler and stock b-pipe, but I think I can get used to it.

I can't wait for the track to see if I can show any gains!!
So are you happy with the overall product? Is the sound noticable at all speeds? When you get on it, how does it sound?

I'm not sure if I want this exhaust or if I'm just going to get a B-pipe and keep my stock muffler?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:14 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ordered OBX Cat-back Monday and it is HERE!!!! (pics)

Originally posted by breaux124

So are you happy with the overall product? Is the sound noticable at all speeds? When you get on it, how does it sound?

I'm not sure if I want this exhaust or if I'm just going to get a B-pipe and keep my stock muffler?
Well, if you don't want to hear your exhaust you don't need to get a straight threw muffler.

During certain rpms I can hear my muffler over my intake now. Anytime you get on it gives a nice rumble from the rear.

If I don't see any gains at the track I will opt for a different setup, but if the gains are there then on it stays!!
Old 02-09-2003, 10:54 AM

He probably didn't know what the *** you were talking about---I know I don't! A Flask?
" I asked him if he could put up some kind of flask (?) to hold it up more secure. He said he couldnt. "
Old 02-09-2003, 11:10 AM

Originally posted by willy431
He probably didn't know what the *** you were talking about---I know I don't! A Flask? " I asked him if he could put up some kind of flask (?) to hold it up more secure. He said he couldnt. "
im a computer junkie not a car junkie....sorry im responding so late, i just woke up from all my drinkin lat night...im the new alky my head is