4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tone, of a Glasspack Muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2003, 11:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tone, of a Glasspack Muffler?

IE Universal mufflers with the straight through design. Which do you think makes the louder sound? A Straight through that is wider? Or a Straight through that is Thinner, as in the thines of the size of your B pipe? Wider as in a lot wider then that?

Thanx
Old 02-08-2003, 12:16 AM

Re: Tone, of a Glasspack Muffler?

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
IE Universal mufflers with the straight through design. Which do you think makes the louder sound? A Straight through that is wider? Or a Straight through that is Thinner, as in the thines of the size of your B pipe? Wider as in a lot wider then that?

Thanx
A true glasspack will sound raaaaaaaspy.

Generally speaking, given similar packing/baffling:

Small cylindrical-shaped cannisters = louder
Larger oval-shaped cannisters = quieter

Regardless of size, oval cannisters are always going to offer better sound reduction than cylindrical cannisters, because of the way sound waves behave when travelling through the can.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:22 AM
My other car is a Hybrid

Straight thru will always be louder than a chambered (aka reverse flow) muffler. Especially with the interior resonance of about 2.5K on our cars.

Go with perforated cores and not louvered, which create a lot of turbulence/backpressure. Get the biggest muffler one you can fit... the length and width determines the sound reduction.
Old 02-08-2003, 09:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well I just ordered the Magnaflow Stainless Muffler IMPORT #14829 UNI. Its Oval shaped with a nice 4" Tip. Now the thing I noticed with the magnaflow and the one I have now is a cheap Ebay muffler that i got for 50$. The Magnaflow has a Thin Straight through design. While the one i have now has a Straight though design that is a lot wider, but has like a Spiral effect. Like the metal in the inside is warped like a spiral, i guess to give the air flow a Tornado Ram effect. And I have that Raspyness a little bit from that. Now when I had my ractive muffler, that was straight through also, didnt make that noise. Thats why I was thinking its because of the cheap muffler.

Wanted to know the diff in sound u know. thanx

Nick
Old 02-08-2003, 11:35 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Originally posted by JetBlackMax
well I just ordered the Magnaflow Stainless Muffler IMPORT #14829 UNI. Its Oval shaped with a nice 4" Tip. Now the thing I noticed with the magnaflow and the one I have now is a cheap Ebay muffler that i got for 50$. The Magnaflow has a Thin Straight through design. While the one i have now has a Straight though design that is a lot wider, but has like a Spiral effect. Like the metal in the inside is warped like a spiral, i guess to give the air flow a Tornado Ram effect. And I have that Raspyness a little bit from that. Now when I had my ractive muffler, that was straight through also, didnt make that noise. Thats why I was thinking its because of the cheap muffler.

Wanted to know the diff in sound u know. thanx

Nick
Can't give you a good representation of the sound but for some info of the straight through:
http://www.magnaflow.com/05magazine/05sportcpg02.htm