4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Tranny leak :( and i broke the shifter sensor....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 10:05 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Tranny leak :( and i broke the shifter sensor....

i am changing my MTF and i noticed there is oil on the underside of the transmission. It's not dripping, but it's definately leaking somewhere, there is no other explanation for it.

it's right on the underside, not from any particular points..

what can i do?
i am clueless as to how to approach this problem..

i was also attempting to pop out the shifter sensor where the drain bolt is and i snapped off a piece that thing is fragile! i cracked off the part that holds the bolt.

Old 02-08-2003, 10:27 AM

questions

anyone know how much the shifter sensor costs?

is it the only thing holding the fluid in place? if i pop it out.. will the fluid just come rushing down or is there something else behind it?
Old 02-08-2003, 10:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: questions

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
anyone know how much the shifter sensor costs?

is it the only thing holding the fluid in place? if i pop it out.. will the fluid just come rushing down or is there something else behind it?
No if that sensor does come off all the fluid will come out pretty darn fast..I bought one of these a while back but I forget how much it was. It may have been around $75

as for the oil leak, see if its coming from your drivers side axel where it enters the tranny...could be your bearings going insdie your trans

-matt
Old 02-08-2003, 10:40 AM

Re: Re: questions

Originally posted by matty

No if that sensor does come off all the fluid will come out pretty darn fast..I bought one of these a while back but I forget how much it was. It may have been around $75

as for the oil leak, see if its coming from your drivers side axel where it enters the tranny...could be your bearings going insdie your trans

-matt

thanks matt,
i'll go check it right now..

and that's bad news about the sensor.. i only paid like 454 for the redline fluid.. lol
Old 02-08-2003, 10:42 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Oh you already put the fluid in there...so when you pull the sensor get a clean container under there and catch it. then replace the sensor and pore all the new fluid back in

-matt
Old 02-08-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by matty
Oh you already put the fluid in there...so when you pull the sensor get a clean container under there and catch it. then replace the sensor and pore all the new fluid back in

-matt
oh, no..
i haven't put it in yet. i took out the drain plug, dried to get the sensor out, broke off a piece and just left it there.. i'll order a new one before i put the fluid in
Old 02-08-2003, 11:10 AM

btw..

does anyone have the part # or the real name of what this thing is called?

chiltons lists it as; "neutral position switch" but that is not what it is called..
Old 02-08-2003, 10:07 PM

anyone ?

I just need to know what this "sensor" is really called? or a part # or something
Old 02-09-2003, 02:02 AM
chrisco

neutral safety switch

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa
anyone ?

I just need to know what this "sensor" is really called? or a part # or something
I just noticed my manual tranny was leaking too same as you all over the bottom but not dripping. Nissan told me it was the neutral switch seal that was leaking, and that I would have to get a new one because the seal is not sold seperately. They want $127 to replace it but that also covers the fluid change which would be $55 by itself. I finally found the darn thing online for about $10 ($17 shipped) at http://www.nissan-auto-parts-dealer.com and they call it a neutral safety switch. The $75 is for a neutral safety switch for the auto which they have as well (don't understand why so much more $ for the auto). From $127 to $17 plus fluid cost, I can now get some Redline fluid with the savings. Hope I've helped, Chris

Names:
neutral position sensor/switch
neutral reverse switch
neutral switch
neutral safety switch
neutral

I'm pretty sure they're all the same damn thing.