4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Help on Start Problem of 96 Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2003, 11:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Help on Start Problem of 96 Maxima

My maxima recently has this start problem,
basically, it can start, but I have to hold the key on the ignition
position for much long than it is used to. If I release it earlier,
it will fail to start. It seems it is trying trying a long time, and
then finally starts the engine.

What kind of problem will it be? where should I look for problem?
My starter did make those noises when the temp is very low, sounds like the grease is gone, but it if fine usually. This problem started about a week ago, I hate to keep the key on ignition for more than 30 seconds everytime I start the car.
it is a 96 maxima with 140k on it.
should I take it to dealer for a check?

thanks a lot.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:01 PM
Handsome

Re: Help on Start Problem of 96 Maxima

Originally posted by jdworld
My maxima recently has this start problem,
basically, it can start, but I have to hold the key on the ignition
position for much long than it is used to. If I release it earlier,
it will fail to start. It seems it is trying trying a long time, and
then finally starts the engine.

What kind of problem will it be? where should I look for problem?
My starter did make those noises when the temp is very low, sounds like the grease is gone, but it if fine usually. This problem started about a week ago, I hate to keep the key on ignition for more than 30 seconds everytime I start the car.
it is a 96 maxima with 140k on it.
should I take it to dealer for a check?

thanks a lot.
Starter problems are pretty common the max. I just changed my 96 starter about two months ago. If it ever totally fails you can tap the starter while somone tries to start it, if it works then you need a new starter. I personally wouldn't take it to the dealer unless you absolutly have to, and if your not a mechanic get a second opinion on any 'extra' repairs that the dealership tells you that you need, because I gaurantee you they will say you need some that you probably don't.

Good luck, by the way my starter gave the same symptoms as yours about a month and a half before it went out, also unless you have an extended warrantee try and do it yourself, the dealer will want to charge you close to 400.00, but again I would wait a while to make sure it is your starter after all, but it does seem likely that is the case.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the help.
Is there anything I can do right now to prevent starter failure?
I don't want to just wait the car die.
Is it possible to fix this problem without changing starter?
Old 02-08-2003, 07:31 PM

Thanks for the help.
Is there anything I can do right now to prevent starter failure?
I don't want to just wait the car die.
Is it possible to fix this problem without changing starter?
Go to motorvate.ca and read up on the starter. You can delay it's failure for a while.

You didn't mention things like the last time the plugs and fuel filter were changed, or if the throttle body was ever cleaned. All of these can effect cranking time. 30 seconds is way too long for a normal start. Also the engine coolant temp sensor can cause some pretty hard starts if it's shot. You might want to test that as well.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:28 PM

starter

Here's the things to check for with Hard starts:

1. Fuel Delivery (Make sure your fuel is being delivered by way of your fuel pump & injectors
2. Spark -- Make sure you're getting the fire power you need. Check those spark plugs. Change them out if you have any doubt. Go get the NGK V Power Coppers: BKR5E-11 (they'll run you about $12 for all 6 at your nearest Advance Auto Parts Store)
3. Check your fuel filter (if it's the original one, replace it)
4. Then finally check your starter. If it's the original starter, chances are you will need a new one cause '96 Maxima's are known to have a starter problem. You can get one at Advance Auto for about $140 plus core charge (it comes with a lifetime warranty -- which is the real bonus here). Labor should be somewhere in the range of $50 - $75 for one hour. Don't pay anymore for this.

Once you do all of the above, you should see your starting power increase dramatically. Plus you should also see an improvement in gas mileage.
Old 02-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to mention that this problem occured right after I fill the
gas tank at a local gas station, it was fine before that, and then happened everytime after that ( occured even at that gas station). Is it possible that some bad gas caused it? if it is the reason, what should I do?
It doesn't seem to be the cold weather since it happens everytime I start car, even if I just turned it off after a long trip.
I had the fuel filter changed several weeks ago, but haven't change plugs ( it has about 70K on them right now ), the car runs very smooth after it starts, should I change plugs? what is the sign that those plugs need to be changed?
What is TB? can I do it myself? I never cleaned it.
thanks for suggestions.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I forgot to mention that this problem occured right after I fill the
gas tank at a local gas station, it was fine before that, and then happened everytime after that ( occured even at that gas station). Is it possible that some bad gas caused it? if it is the reason, what should I do?
It doesn't seem to be the cold weather since it happens everytime I start car, even if I just turned it off after a long trip.
I had the fuel filter changed several weeks ago, but haven't change plugs ( it has about 70K on them right now ), the car runs very smooth after it starts, should I change plugs? what is the sign that those plugs need to be changed?
What is TB? can I do it myself? I never cleaned it.
thanks for suggestions.
The original plugs have a 60k mile life, so it's time to change them. Worn out plugs alone can cause starting issues, but it sounds like the gas you got combined with the bad plugs is more likely the cause.

The TB is the throttle body. It gets gummed up over time which resricts airflow to the engine. I think there are a few "how to's" floating around here on cleaning it. It's easy to DIY.