4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Manual Tranny Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 09:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Manual Tranny Parts

Hey guys, in a few months I would like to do a 5 speed conversion. I had a few questions though.

1. Should I buy used parts online, or should I try to find them in my area? Are shipping costs a lot?

2. Where can I find these parts online?

3. After the automatic tranny is out, can I sell that for any money?

4. If I can sell the tranny, how do I ship this? It is huge and heavy.

5. How much money in total will this conversion cost (including labor?

Thanks!
Shawn
Old 02-09-2003, 12:05 PM

Re: Manual Tranny Parts

Originally posted by djshawnee
Hey guys, in a few months I would like to do a 5 speed conversion. I had a few questions though.

1. Should I buy used parts online, or should I try to find them in my area? Are shipping costs a lot?

2. Where can I find these parts online?

3. After the automatic tranny is out, can I sell that for any money?

4. If I can sell the tranny, how do I ship this? It is huge and heavy.

5. How much money in total will this conversion cost (including labor?

Thanks!
Shawn
These questions were answered i think by Harold on his site.

The auto is worth $400 about and can be shipped via UPS...
I would by all parts used and from the same person.
I do them here in FL for $1250 and supply the parts... Parts alone are $1500 - $700 depends on where u live and who you know.
Old 02-09-2003, 12:29 PM

Re: Re: Manual Tranny Parts

Originally posted by cbr2

These questions were answered i think by Harold on his site.

The auto is worth $400 about and can be shipped via UPS...
I would by all parts used and from the same person.
I do them here in FL for $1250 and supply the parts... Parts alone are $1500 - $700 depends on where u live and who you know.
wanna come to IL. and do it for me??
i am also doing a conversion, but i am having trouble finding all the parts, i have been trying really hard to find a wrecked maxima 5speed with a good trans, but that is pretty hard. i am afraid after finding all the parts and labor this is going to be an $1800 ordeal.when i find the parts should i take it to a regular shop or what?? this is proving to be harder than i expected
Old 02-09-2003, 01:50 PM

DTRMaxima, where are you from in IL? I am from Bloomington. I am pretty sure there would be places in Chicago that would do this for a reasonable price. Let me know if you find a place

CBR2: are these parts for the conversion used parts? Do you think you could sell me the parts in a few months, then I just find someone here to do the install?

Does anyone else do manual tranny conversions like CBR, preferrably a little closer than FL? I would be willing to drive if the price is right.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: Manual Tranny Parts

Originally posted by DTR Maxima

wanna come to IL. and do it for me??
i am also doing a conversion, but i am having trouble finding all the parts, i have been trying really hard to find a wrecked maxima 5speed with a good trans, but that is pretty hard. i am afraid after finding all the parts and labor this is going to be an $1800 ordeal.when i find the parts should i take it to a regular shop or what?? this is proving to be harder than i expected
Harolds instructions are good. It is a 2 day job if you do it yourself.. it is easy.. Harold and I pulled it from our *** when we did it since there was no instructions before him.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:56 PM

where are harold's instructions?
Old 02-09-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by djshawnee
DTRMaxima, where are you from in IL? I am from Bloomington. I am pretty sure there would be places in Chicago that would do this for a reasonable price. Let me know if you find a place

CBR2: are these parts for the conversion used parts? Do you think you could sell me the parts in a few months, then I just find someone here to do the install?

Does anyone else do manual tranny conversions like CBR, preferrably a little closer than FL? I would be willing to drive if the price is right.
I will sell just the parts...
$800+ shipping or the entire parts car for $1500...
I got to find one if someone wants one.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:08 PM

i'm about to do this conversion very soon as well. Are any of you considering a rebuilt 5-speed instead?? Where can i find a rebuilt tranny for a decent price?? I dont want to put all this work into my car and find out that it need a rebuilt in a couple of months. Also, I go on long roadtrips to Lake Tahoe quite a bit so I need reliability as well. I've noticed the manual tranny rebuilt write up on motervate.com but it seems pretty complicated. I'm pretty mechanically incline, however i've never dropped a tranny before, let alone a rebuild. Should I just look for a low mileage 5-speed or should I look into buying a rebuilt one? OR maybe I should try rebuilding a used tranny. What would i do if the tranny needs hardparts??

CBR2: Where do you find the parts for so cheap??

ken
Old 02-09-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by kchida
i'm about to do this conversion very soon as well. Are any of you considering a rebuilt 5-speed instead?? Where can i find a rebuilt tranny for a decent price?? I dont want to put all this work into my car and find out that it need a rebuilt in a couple of months. Also, I go on long roadtrips to Lake Tahoe quite a bit so I need reliability as well. I've noticed the manual tranny rebuilt write up on motervate.com but it seems pretty complicated. I'm pretty mechanically incline, however i've never dropped a tranny before, let alone a rebuild. Should I just look for a low mileage 5-speed or should I look into buying a rebuilt one? OR maybe I should try rebuilding a used tranny. What would i do if the tranny needs hardparts??

CBR2: Where do you find the parts for so cheap??

ken
buy parts cars.