4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

HELP !! my exaust is to loud

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 12:30 AM

HELP !! my exaust is to loud

I installed a budget Y pipe,resonated straight pipe,and OBX catback and my car has a very loud drone...ITs very annoying at lower speeds..Im now thinking of taking off the obx catback and selling it because its to loud..Or do you guys think I sould keep the obx and replace my straight pipe with the oem cat?how can I get rid of that annoying drone??Help I also didnt feel any gains after I installed all these mods.I felt my car had more power with just my pr intake ,I feel I have no low end power now that i have the ypipe straight pipe ,and obx?I need ideas on how to quite down my car.What sould i remove ??this is all on a 98 maxima,I heard that ypipe and catback on 97-98 maximas creates that annoying sound kinda rice sounding..help..I love the way the obx looks on the car but hate the annoying sound its making its too loud the sound is a loud drone coming from the back of the car ..
Old 02-10-2003, 06:14 AM

Re: HELP !! my exaust is to loud

Originally posted by ivan25
I installed a budget Y pipe,resonated straight pipe,and OBX catback and my car has a very loud drone...ITs very annoying at lower speeds..Im now thinking of taking off the obx catback and selling it because its to loud..Or do you guys think I sould keep the obx and replace my straight pipe with the oem cat?how can I get rid of that annoying drone??Help I also didnt feel any gains after I installed all these mods.I felt my car had more power with just my pr intake ,I feel I have no low end power now that i have the ypipe straight pipe ,and obx?I need ideas on how to quite down my car.What sould i remove ??this is all on a 98 maxima,I heard that ypipe and catback on 97-98 maximas creates that annoying sound kinda rice sounding..help..I love the way the obx looks on the car but hate the annoying sound its making its too loud the sound is a loud drone coming from the back of the car ..
i have a cone filter with a mid-pipe, stillen y-pipe & the obx catback system and it's not that loud. you do get a little hummm in the car but very little and at WOT my intake makes all the noise.

i think you should get a hi-flow carsound cat, i think your staight pipe cat is making all the noise. don't forget that the obx has 2 resonators.

the carsound cat is only $97 with shipping, you should also get it installed by a muffler shop.

good luck.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:23 AM

Re: Re: HELP !! my exaust is to loud

Originally posted by 97GLES
i have a cone filter with a mid-pipe, stillen y-pipe & the obx catback system and it's not that loud. you do get a little hummm in the car but very little and at WOT my intake makes all the noise.

i think you should get a hi-flow carsound cat, i think your staight pipe cat is making all the noise. don't forget that the obx has 2 resonators.

the carsound cat is only $97 with shipping, you should also get it installed by a muffler shop.

good luck.

I have a PR CAI, Budget Y-pipe, stock Cat and OBX cat-back. The sound is definitely not too loud. You hear it, but at WOT, it's more CAI than exhaust. Slight drone, but nothing more than I'd expect with a y-pipe and cat-back.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:28 AM

so you put those parts together but didnt expect it to be that loud? you must take one piece or two pieces off or drive with loud music on.
Old 02-10-2003, 09:39 AM

the straight pipe is probably whats causing all the noise.......and you definitely lose all your backpressure by removing it, which is the reason why it feels like your low end power is gone
Old 02-10-2003, 09:52 AM
Sports Button FTW

ivan, if your going to get a straight pipe, get one with a resonator, yours probably doesnt have a resonator...u probably got those cheap ones for like 30-40...i would definitely put the stock CAT or straight pip with a resonator back on
Old 02-10-2003, 11:08 AM

Originally posted by meccanoble
ivan, if your going to get a straight pipe, get one with a resonator, yours probably doesnt have a resonator...u probably got those cheap ones for like 30-40...i would definitely put the stock CAT or straight pip with a resonator back on
Thanks for the replies guys..Yes my test pipe does have a resonator,its the ones they sell on custommaxima.com,I expected my exaust to get loud after I installed all this bolt ons but this drone Im getting is way to much its just annoying makes me think Im driveing a cluncker car..I'm just going to take off the test pipe and replace it with the stock cat,and hear if the drones goes away..
Old 02-10-2003, 01:02 PM

i havent as of yet had experience with the obx . so i dont konw how quiet it is with a stock cat. but as i said im thinking youll stlil have some kind of drone since it is an aftermarket catback. but if im wrong and the obx is that quiet, even at 2-2.5k rpm, then thats good!
Originally posted by ivan25

Thanks for the replies guys..Yes my test pipe does have a resonator,its the ones they sell on custommaxima.com,I expected my exaust to get loud after I installed all this bolt ons but this drone Im getting is way to much its just annoying makes me think Im driveing a cluncker car..I'm just going to take off the test pipe and replace it with the stock cat,and hear if the drones goes away..
Old 02-10-2003, 07:27 PM
My other car is a Hybrid

Here's my solution.... A heck of alot of splicing and welding time with the mandrel bent tubing... And NO the pictures doesn't show my GReddy main muffler!

Old 02-10-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by Chunger
Here's my solution.... A heck of alot of splicing and welding time with the mandrel bent tubing... And NO the pictures doesn't show my GReddy main muffler!

That must be a very quiet set up