4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Strange noise from the manual transmission... synchros? :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 10:04 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Strange noise from the manual transmission... synchros? :(

When switching into gears... After the gear is already engaged, there is a dull noise that i can best describe as something that resembles the bad CV joint clicking noise. Only this is more dull..

This isn't the CV joints as this doesn't happen on turns or anything. Only when accelerating in a straight line, after the gear is already engaged.. I can be cruising to slow down in Neutral and then rev match and pop it back into 2nd, perfectly.. but after i let the clutch out and get on the gas more, i sometimes get this noise. Also happens in 3rd occasionally...

Any ideas?

thanks
Old 02-10-2003, 04:25 PM

I doubt it's synchro's. When those start to go they grind during the shift, not clunk after.

Motor mounts that maybe are starting to allow excessive movement when the torque loads change during the shift?
Old 02-10-2003, 05:07 PM

I gotta say, nice smiley face. Other than that, free bump.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had similar issues and it was tranny bearings. i had them all replaced and reshimmed (read: rebuilt).
Old 02-10-2003, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw
I doubt it's synchro's. When those start to go they grind during the shift, not clunk after.

Motor mounts that maybe are starting to allow excessive movement when the torque loads change during the shift?
thanks,
hopefully you're right.. i think.
just hoping for whatever it is, to be least costly lol

Juki5536,
thanks

Miasma,
That does not sound good..
How long do you think I can drive it out like this?

I do have over 120k miles on the car with everything being original for the most part.. i got it used and don't really know of any previous repairs..
Old 02-11-2003, 04:13 AM

It may be your input shaft bearings. My car the same type off sound. The clicking followed the speed of the engine. It was the worst in 1st gear and then clicked less as you shift up threw the gears. I had to rip mt tranny apart and change them. (along with the differential bearings)
Old 02-11-2003, 07:26 AM

Is the sound more of a click or a clunk? If it clicks, disregard what I said about motor mounts. If it's a heavier clunk, I would still look at those.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:27 PM

yup, I pick up my 95 5speed out of the transmission shop tomorrow........bad bearings..input and differential. While in the shop they are replacing the rear main engine seal which leaked oil onto the clutch which then had to be replaced. the slave cylinder for clutch was also leaking..the bill: $1900. Well it's my first big bill for a car with 135,000 on it...
The guy at the shop tells me good thing I didn't wait too long or I'd start wearing the gears also. (Hmmmm at that point I didn't bother telling him I'd been listening to all the noise for about 2 years now....)
Old 03-29-2003, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by wilkink
yup, I pick up my 95 5speed out of the transmission shop tomorrow........bad bearings..input and differential. While in the shop they are replacing the rear main engine seal which leaked oil onto the clutch which then had to be replaced. the slave cylinder for clutch was also leaking..the bill: $1900. Well it's my first big bill for a car with 135,000 on it...
The guy at the shop tells me good thing I didn't wait too long or I'd start wearing the gears also. (Hmmmm at that point I didn't bother telling him I'd been listening to all the noise for about 2 years now....)

damn
sounds too much like mine

i don't have any whine in any gears, i do have this damn noise though
also, my clutch has gotten abnormally stiff during the last few months, as has the shifter.. it's damn hard to move it, and step on the clutch especially doing lots of city driving..

iwannabmw,
it's definately more of a click i'd say...
Old 03-29-2003, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by NYCe MaXiMa

damn
sounds too much like mine

i don't have any whine in any gears, i do have this damn noise though
also, my clutch has gotten abnormally stiff during the last few months, as has the shifter.. it's damn hard to move it, and step on the clutch especially doing lots of city driving..

iwannabmw,
it's definately more of a click i'd say...
just to let you know, it's only the bearings (only available from Nissan $$$$$)
the gears were still perfect.......