4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rewired Fogs and now

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2003, 04:37 PM

Rewired Fogs and now

i am now blowing the 7.5 amp fuse. i did it right. could i have done something wrong? let me know
Old 02-10-2003, 04:41 PM

um, lol try a bigger fuse.....
Mine blew untill i put a 10amp in there, just buy some 10 and 15 amps fuses and put in a 10 amp
Old 02-10-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by MaxEffect414
um, lol try a bigger fuse.....
Mine blew untill i put a 10amp in there, just buy some 10 and 15 amps fuses and put in a 10 amp
um no, don't... unless you like electrical fires. Thats plain stupid. There must be something shorting somewhere. Recheck all your connections. I rewired mine without any problems of fuses.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:11 PM
Sin

Umm, no. Not unless you feel like rewiring parts of your car.

If you are blowing fuses, you did something wrong.

By rewire, what do you mean? Do you mean being able to run them separate from the headlights?

I did this a year ago, and have had no problems with fuses what so ever.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:50 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by cscm094

um no, don't... unless you like electrical fires. Thats plain stupid. There must be something shorting somewhere. Recheck all your connections. I rewired mine without any problems of fuses.
ohh well, I know goin w/ bigger fuses is a no-no, but I had to put in a higher fuse because I kept blowing mine. Although, I thought the 97+ didn't have this problem... I'm a 96, and the steps i used didn't work so I just changed the damn fuse. I run just my fogs and corners for a long time now (half a year) and no problems. I say just change the fuse to 10A.

And also, while you are doing this, do the quick easy rewire to get ure blinkers and sidemarkers to alternate... and oh yeah, splice an extra ground wire to the chasses for the fogs and headlights. I actually noticed mine get brighter after this. Same thing as the oogly hyperground mod but this is more directly related to the lighting. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2003, 09:44 PM

Electrical fires huh lol, i have had my 10amp fuse in for like what now 2 years plus i have done some other stuff and used bigger fuses with no problem, just as long as you don't go too big it's perfectly safe.

mine kept blowing and i just put a 10amp and it's great, i even have my fender side lights connected to it.

Trust me, it will not mess up your car, put in a 10 amp and turn on all your lights and high beams and interior lights and step on the gas a bit and check your engine bay and see if anything starts to smell which it won't.

Trance
Old 02-11-2003, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by nadir_s

ohh well, I know goin w/ bigger fuses is a no-no, but I had to put in a higher fuse because I kept blowing mine. Although, I thought the 97+ didn't have this problem... I'm a 96, and the steps i used didn't work so I just changed the damn fuse. I run just my fogs and corners for a long time now (half a year) and no problems. I say just change the fuse to 10A.

And also, while you are doing this, do the quick easy rewire to get ure blinkers and sidemarkers to alternate... and oh yeah, splice an extra ground wire to the chasses for the fogs and headlights. I actually noticed mine get brighter after this. Same thing as the oogly hyperground mod but this is more directly related to the lighting. Good luck!
What do u mean ground the fogs? please tell me how you did this. i have rewired my blinkers. it is cool. i want to do the same to my rears.
Old 02-11-2003, 07:53 AM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by 98GLEMaxed

What do u mean ground the fogs? please tell me how you did this. i have rewired my blinkers. it is cool. i want to do the same to my rears.
Yeah, i still need to do my rears too. What I mean when i say "ground the fogs and headlights" is... you take an extra piece of wire, attach it to the chassis then splice it into the existing ground wire that is already connected to the fogs. So basically, you are just adding an extra ground wire to each of the headlights and fogs. Over the years, those original ground points for the fogs and headlights get dirty so by adding "fresh" ones, it will conduct better. At least, i noticed a little bit of difference...
Old 02-12-2003, 10:05 PM

well i replaced the fuse with the same 7.5 amp fuse and i have all my lights working and i am guessing that all is good. thanks guys
Old 02-13-2003, 07:18 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Yea I rewired mine and never had to change the fuse. All your doing is keeping that relay open. It might draw a little more current when you have the high beams and fogs on, but like I said, I never had to change any fuse. It definitely shouldn't blow a fuse when it's operating in the condition that it was able to before (low beams and fogs). You didn't do it right.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:27 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nadir_s

I have a 95 and followed the steps word for word and had no issues with the fuses for a couple months now.

-Nick
Old 02-13-2003, 12:21 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by 95CustomMaxima

I have a 95 and followed the steps word for word and had no issues with the fuses for a couple months now.

-Nick
really? Well, actually it wasn't so much the fuse. The diagram for the relay was different than the one that was on my car... I basically had to remove the fuse and use an voltmeter to figure out where I should splice the wire into. Weird... took me a while but either way it works now haha.

Quick question tho, when you switch from just the parking lights to the headlights, does the fogs get brighter? Actually for me it's the fogs and corners that get brighter... jut by a little bit tho. Oh well! all's good.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

mine dont getter brighter i believe but i will check that later and let you know

-Nick