4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

SERIOUS problem w/ MAX..."The Knowledgeable" PLEASE help

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 10:24 PM

SERIOUS problem w/ MAX..."The Knowledgeable" PLEASE help

Alright heres the deal. At about 7 o clock tonight I was coming home from a meeting. I drive about 2 miles and my car stalls out 3 times. I do know how to drive a stick...it isnt my lack of skill. I have driven about three different times tonight after that, each time stalling out about 2 times.
Heres the kicker...the last drive home it stalled out as I put my clutch in coming up to a light, the light turns green, I let my clutch out in disgust of my car continually stalling out, and my car starts back up without turning the key! I was thinking this was the phenomenon known as popping the clutch but I thought that was a trick used on old manual cars and I didnt think that my car would do that...I am very confused as to what is wrong.
My latest mod is my ACT clutch which I have had about 2 weeks now I think and about 500 miles on it. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

Help me please. I am about to
Old 02-11-2003, 10:27 PM

Re: SERIOUS problem w/ MAX..."The Knowledgeable" PLEASE help

Originally posted by luckee2bhere
Alright heres the deal. At about 7 o clock tonight I was coming home from a meeting. I drive about 2 miles and my car stalls out 3 times. I do know how to drive a stick...it isnt my lack of skill. I have driven about three different times tonight after that, each time stalling out about 2 times.
Heres the kicker...the last drive home it stalled out as I put my clutch in coming up to a light, the light turns green, I let my clutch out in disgust of my car continually stalling out, and my car starts back up without turning the key! I was thinking this was the phenomenon known as popping the clutch but I thought that was a trick used on old manual cars and I didnt think that my car would do that...I am very confused as to what is wrong.
My latest mod is my ACT clutch which I have had about 2 weeks now I think and about 500 miles on it. Could that have anything to do with the problem?

Help me please. I am about to
Is your clutch not disengaging?? Does this happen from a stop, or when your are stopping?
Old 02-11-2003, 11:35 PM

I'm thinking alternator. Did you have yours replaced under the recall? Did your lights dim or anything before you stalled? What did you do to get it to start after you stalled, not including popping the clutch? Also check your battery for loose connection, corrosion.
Old 02-12-2003, 05:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Either your not used to the ACT clutch yet or you have an idle control problem.

Have you done any maintenance recently or are you do for some?

TB/IACV cleaning perhaps?
Old 02-12-2003, 07:41 AM

Clean the TB!!!!

Clean your throttle body, IACV, and maybe even replace the fuel filter. This should solve your problems. If your car is stalling after you engage the clutch (the RPMs are dipping too low), then you need to clean the throttle body.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: SERIOUS problem w/ MAX..."The Knowledgeable" PLEASE help

Originally posted by Victim64

Is your clutch not disengaging?? Does this happen from a stop, or when your are stopping?
it happens when im stopping.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:24 AM

Originally posted by UTIMaxima
I'm thinking alternator. Did you have yours replaced under the recall? Did your lights dim or anything before you stalled? What did you do to get it to start after you stalled, not including popping the clutch? Also check your battery for loose connection, corrosion.
yeah i got my new alternator from the recall about a month ago....i didnt notice if my lights dimmed. if i had to guess I would say they didnt...my lights DO dim when I turn on my lights and then turn on my car(I dont think that means anything) to start the car I just had to turn the key and it would start right up ...no problem.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:25 AM

Re: Clean the TB!!!!

Originally posted by MajorMax96SE
Clean your throttle body, IACV, and maybe even replace the fuel filter. This should solve your problems. If your car is stalling after you engage the clutch (the RPMs are dipping too low), then you need to clean the throttle body.
that sounds exactly like what is happening.
where can i get the "how to" for this online?
Old 02-12-2003, 01:39 PM

Re: Re: Clean the TB!!!!

www.motorvate.ca

Look under the November 26, 2001 section.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:48 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Clean the TB!!!!

Originally posted by luckee2bhere

that sounds exactly like what is happening.
where can i get the "how to" for this online?

I am coming over tomorrow night let me take your car for a spin and see if it happens to me or if I can diagnose the problem for you and will show you how to clean the TB. In any case go to NAPA and pick up a bottle of 3M throttle body cleaner, comes in a white can and has a picture of a throttle body or ask the guys at the counter to help you and you will need a old tooth brush and some rags and clean that thing out. Not hard at all 20 min job.