4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 07:11 AM
Banned

Airbags

i just lost a 95 GLE because i got into a stupid fender bender, damn ****ing volvo, and the bags went. Apparently the bags are what got my car totalled. i have just recently bought a 97 gle and i don't plan on this happening again. is there an easy way i can disable them and not have the airbag light come on? is it just a fuse or is there some real work involved? thx

-j
Old 02-14-2003, 07:14 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

What are you nuts?? They can save your life.
Old 02-14-2003, 10:01 AM

I agree with njmaxseltd, your intention are nuts!
Old 02-14-2003, 12:27 PM
Banned

no no no i'['m really serious how do i disable them. i was in a car crash at less then 15 mph and the other car wasat the same spped too. 30mph combined i didn't even move in my seat it was pathedic i take a turn and damn airbags out and i lost a car. so again i ask let me be stupid and kill myself how can i disable them.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:52 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Torgus
no no no i'['m really serious how do i disable them. i was in a car crash at less then 15 mph and the other car wasat the same spped too. 30mph combined i didn't even move in my seat it was pathedic i take a turn and damn airbags out and i lost a car. so again i ask let me be stupid and kill myself how can i disable them.
never!!!!!!!!!!!

no one will tell u how, that's just plain suicide and none of us will be accountable or part of it!

btw, the '97+ maximas have more sturdy fenders and stuff. Just go ahead and check out the ratings in safety.
Old 02-14-2003, 01:56 PM

I have no clue how to disable the bags but if you don't want the airbag light to be on just pull the bulb. It's really not a good idea though..
Old 02-14-2003, 06:18 PM
rcy

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
What are you nuts?? They can save your life.
Using your seatbelts can save your life. The airbags are SRS (SUPPLEMENTAL Restraint System).

I'd rather have ABS as standard and avoid the accident. Unfortunately, the government has decided that it's in my best interest to have airbags as standard.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally posted by rcy

Using your seatbelts can save your life. The airbags are SRS (SUPPLEMENTAL Restraint System).

I'd rather have ABS as standard and avoid the accident. Unfortunately, the government has decided that it's in my best interest to have airbags as standard.

i always wear my belts and i have ABS.....silly airbags oh well i'll just go with my screwdriver and poke at things untill i think i'v fuqed them up, thx guys

j
Old 02-15-2003, 08:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Why don't you just leave them in there for now and if they ever do go off, hopefully not, then you just just stuff some old shirt in there and cover the hole back up. You paid for the airbags when you bought the car, don't ruin them! Not to mention they can save your life.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:00 PM

Re: Airbags

I think even if you were to disable the system, the switch that sets them off will still die in wreck and cost you a new control module. In order to take it out and protect it you need disconnect you battery both +&- remove your radio. Look behind it you will see a yellow wire harness.. you need to disconnect it there. Then you need to remove the center consul pull the airbag module (again a yellow cable will run into it) Now put that part somewhere safe... And reinstall everything... You light will still come one though so you will need to pull the speedo cluster and take the light out.. Id tape it to the control module so you know where it is when you reinstall.
Regards,
Charles

Airbag does NOT save your life.. I agree all it does is cause more damage and burn you.. You wear your seatbelt and you got all the protection you are going to get.
Old 02-15-2003, 02:55 PM

thats just crazy
Old 02-15-2003, 04:40 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

well good luck, i hope u don't get into an accident.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:53 PM

It's interesting seeing such strong feelings about air bags. So if you guys come across a car made before 1986, you won't drive it b/c it doesn't have airbags? I mean, come on, the seatbelts ARE the safest thing. Just because they are passive and don't involve any electronic gizzmo doesn't make them less effective. In my book, the most important accident prevention systems are;

1. SeatBelts
2. ABS
3. Airbags

DW

EDIT: By the way Torgus, the airbags are controlled by the airbag computer under the center console where you rest your elbow. Once you dis-able the airbag cpu, the light in the dash stays ON. So, best thing is to kill the LED behind the instrument cluster. Also, keep in mind, that come inspection time, hope that the inspector does not notice the airbag light not coming on and then off at startup.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:57 PM

It's a tough argument. Airbags are meant I guess as a backup to those who don't wear seatbelts or for really severe accidents with enough force to toss you forward.

They have saved lives, but they are also not perfect and have also caused injuries. When I got into an accident head-on with a guardrail, the airbags were useless. The belts were what kept me from hitting the windshield. But I have heard of extreme cases where the airbag was the only thing that prevented someone from exiting Superman-style through the glass.

Bottom line is, if you're willing to gamble with possibly your life, then the choice is yours. But no matter how expensive the airbags (or the cars) are, it will never equal the price of your life.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:59 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by dwapenyi
It's interesting seeing such strong feelings about air bags. So if you guys come across a car made before 1986, you won't drive it b/c it doesn't have airbags? I mean, come on, the seatbelts ARE the safest thing. Just because they are passive and don't involve any electronic gizzmo doesn't make them less effective. In my book, the most important accident prevention systems are;

1. SeatBelts
2. ABS
3. Airbags

DW
I agree w/ you but cmon, airbags is a SAFETY issue. Think about the lives it's saved. I know seatbelts are extremely important but airbags are meant to help. And it's made in the most discreet way possible! I think it is completely stupid to disable your airbags. If airbags weren't so important, why on earth did manufacturers decided to start making side curtain airbags? Anywho, the list you just made up is the same way i feel about the most important accident safety systems.

I just think it's stupid to try to disable them so that they won't deploy when you ACTUALLY HAVE AN ACCIDENT (not like it does it randomly or defectively), and it's my opinion. That's all.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:15 PM

From a safety point of view, you're right. But look at the reality:

1. Alot of accidents are minor fender benders, and the damn airbags go off! Cha ching! At least $900 for nothing. I actually had an accident in a 96 altima, minor fender bender. The airbags did not go off. It was a Nissan defect . . . Thank GoD! The bumper repair was $500. Had both those airbags deployed as well, it would have been a crazy price, for nothing.

2. Airbags have been known to actually do harm, deploying at crazy velocities and snapping kids necks etc. I know this has recently been corrected in the next generation of airbags, the ones that deploy more . . . .smoothly? I beleive the 95/96 Maximas have the 1st gen type airbags and the 97+ have the newer gen ones.

I guess the airbag industry just needs to mature. I hope they will make it such that airbags will only deploy in life threatening situations, not in 5-25 mph bumps. That's ridiculous.

DW

Originally posted by nadir_s

I agree w/ you but cmon, airbags is a SAFETY issue. Think about the lives it's saved. I know seatbelts are extremely important but airbags are meant to help. And it's made in the most discreet way possible! I think it is completely stupid to disable your airbags. If airbags weren't so important, why on earth did manufacturers decided to start making side curtain airbags? Anywho, the list you just made up is the same way i feel about the most important accident safety systems.

I just think it's stupid to try to disable them so that they won't deploy when you ACTUALLY HAVE AN ACCIDENT (not like it does it randomly or defectively), and it's my opinion. That's all.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:18 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by dwapenyi
From a safety point of view, you're right. But look at the reality:

1. Alot of accidents are minor fender benders, and the damn airbags go off! Cha ching! At least $900 for nothing. I actually had an accident in a 96 altima, minor fender bender. The airbags did not go off. It was a Nissan defect . . . Thank GoD! The bumper repair was $500. Had both those airbags deployed as well, it would have been a crazy price, for nothing.

2. Airbags have been known to actually do harm, deploying at crazy velocities and snapping kids necks etc. I know this has recently been corrected in the next generation of airbags, the ones that deploy more . . . .smoothly? I beleive the 95/96 Maximas have the 1st gen type airbags and the 97+ have the newer gen ones.

I guess the airbag industry just needs to mature. I hope they will make it such that airbags will only deploy in life threatening situations, not in 5-25 mph bumps. That's ridiculous.

DW

hmm

well I haven't heard about them going off during minor fender bender but if that really is the majority of the cases... what if it's a scam?! lol this would be a really good topic for a journalist/reporter to check out!
Old 02-16-2003, 08:08 AM

Did your car start after your accident. My wife a=had someone pull out in front of her and smashed up the MAX(pics on my homepage #3). And I can't get the car started I just get a vibrating noise from the area where the tranny is. Help they have me driving around in a Mitsubishi Lancer
Old 02-16-2003, 09:10 AM

I'm sorry but the agony can't go on ... this is such a pointless thread, trying to justify why airbags should not be disabled?

By some magical power, if you can predict that airbags are not needed in your daily driving, why don't you just predict when you will have an accident and avoid getting in to one. Then, you can just leave the airbags the way they are and they will never go off.

And yes, the control unit will have to be replaced after an accident because of the internal shock sensor.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:16 AM

Whats the name for this piece?
Old 02-16-2003, 05:43 PM
CaLSoNiC

Get a 5-point harness... you wont move.

Old 02-18-2003, 09:10 PM

Airbags!!!! Insurance...

If you disable your airbags your insurance company my not take your clam if there is bodily damage to yourself because this would be "self inflictment of harm" this may be seen as an act of harm intended to ones self!!!! Please think this through before you do this!!! I know alot of people dont like them and I an not telling you that your crazy for thinking that or anything but think about yourself!!! Plus if you sell the car to another party or let them drive the car and do not inform them that the SRS has been disabled you can be sued and be heald liable for there injury!!!!! Your insurance will not cover this.... It may become death/injury by auto and this is fined by prison time and a cash settlement... If you do this you MUST notify your passengers and/or drivers of the auto that this has been done..... This is a very dangerous procedure... Please think this through compleatly.
!!!!!!!!Your 95' was totaled b/c of several reasons:
!!!!!!!!!!! This body was made only two years, this makes for a higher fixing cost. the air bags are versitile through 95'-96' for driver and passenger and then 97'-99'in both with a passenger compatability through 95'-99' air bags are not that expensive, mileage-color-location-options-and level of auto all are in the totaling process.... !!!!!!!! Rethink this please!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2003, 09:27 PM
rcy

Re: Airbags!!!! Insurance...

Originally posted by Maximaguy96'
If you disable your airbags your insurance company my not take your clam if there is bodily damage to yourself because this would be "self inflictment of harm" this may be seen as an act of harm intended to ones self!!!! Please think this through before you do this!!! I know alot of people dont like them and I an not telling you that your crazy for thinking that or anything but think about yourself!!! Plus if you sell the car to another party or let them drive the car and do not inform them that the SRS has been disabled you can be sued and be heald liable for there injury!!!!! Your insurance will not cover this.... It may become death/injury by auto and this is fined by prison time and a cash settlement... If you do this you MUST notify your passengers and/or drivers of the auto that this has been done..... This is a very dangerous procedure... Please think this through compleatly.
!!!!!!!!Your 95' was totaled b/c of several reasons:
!!!!!!!!!!! This body was made only two years, this makes for a higher fixing cost. the air bags are versitile through 95'-96' for driver and passenger and then 97'-99'in both with a passenger compatability through 95'-99' air bags are not that expensive, mileage-color-location-options-and level of auto all are in the totaling process.... !!!!!!!! Rethink this please!!!!!!!
Good Lord, give the man a break. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS. The airbags are secondary (except maybe side airbags). I'd tell a passenger to wear their seatbelt (or get out of the car) before I warned them that the airbags were disable.
Old 05-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Airbags!!!! Insurance...

Originally posted by rcy

Good Lord, give the man a break. WEAR YOUR SEATBELTS. The airbags are secondary (except maybe side airbags). I'd tell a passenger to wear their seatbelt (or get out of the car) before I warned them that the airbags were disable.
this thread is funny. But what i got to say mostly people in america ( including my self ) are very paranoid about the littlest thing. Just like somebody said here.. 'So you wouldnt drive an 86 model car ? The other thing, When its your time its your time you can get into an accident while walking out from the car airbags wont help you that time.. i know people will say you are NOT IN THE CAR. any way my point is even if your airbags deploy and you in a seirous accidnet.. if something is going to happen its gonna happen to you regardless of the airbags..and yes i will agree with the fact that for a poor guy who just have liablity on the car and he gets into a small accident and the airbags deploy.. trust me he is screwed as the price of airbags are outrageous. BUT on the other hand airbags do save lives.. it all depends on your LUCK
-Sal
Old 05-22-2003, 08:12 PM

I knew a guy who was driving in his vette(96 i believe) and for no reason his air bags deployed and he couldn't see and lost control of his car and was killed by an oncoming car. Not sayin airbags are unsafe, just sayin kinda crazy that something thats supposed to save your life ended up killen him
Old 05-23-2003, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by 96maximaman
I knew a guy who was driving in his vette(96 i believe) and for no reason his air bags deployed and he couldn't see and lost control of his car and was killed by an oncoming car.
How do you know that's what happened?

Did you talk to him after the accident?