4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

To all who has OBX or interested in one...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2003, 10:53 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

To all who has OBX or interested in one...

For those who already have this setup,FYI that its only a 2.25 in piping. I measured both mine and my roomates and it measure to be only 2.25 not 2.5 inch.

I see that there are some people that are really interested in this catback, here are the basic facts about it.
-Stainless steel piping and muffler
-Mandrel bent and 2.25 inch diameter
-2 resonators
-4 in tip
Price around $280-350

Potential fitment issues:
-b-pipe hangs low (can be twisted by heating the metal which also cause the muffler to be slanted/ one side higer than another)
-aligment of the tip to the left (can be fixed by clamps)
-my roomate had his o2 sensor welded on too close to resonatar so we had to grind down the o2 sensor

Sound quality (base on my and my roomates catbacks, can vary):
On mine:
-Nice exhaust note but louder (for some unknown reason) than My roomates.
-Louder at low rpms(1000-2300 rpm) fades as the rpm increase
-Slight drone at normal (2000-2500) rpm
-Quiet at highway speed (~3000) rpm
-At WTO nice sound which get drown out by intake an ypipe at 5000rpm
-My roomates has a quieter idle but pretty much the same result everywhere else.

Hope this helps those who are looking into this catback, I was suprise about the diameter of the piping and how many modifications it took to make it look decent (to my standard). Its overall a cheaper price to pay but there are minor problems that need to be address during and after installation.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:15 PM
aka UNCDooD

now where would i be able to purchase one at?
Old 02-14-2003, 11:34 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

There was a group deal ealier this month thru SSAUTOCHROME which had troubles with, it was verfy disorganized. Someone on the org may have contact with another seller but it'll cost a little more.
Also the gains are noticable from a stock setup and that it pulls harder.
I'll research to find out where to get this setup other than this specific seller.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wtf its 2.25 piping? is it not advertised at 2.5... if it is thats really bad false advertising
Old 02-14-2003, 11:53 PM

WRONG!!

The OBX is not 2.25", it is defintiely 2.50". I measured mine and it was 2.50", and compared to stock piping, it is definitely larger in diameter.
I don't know what exhaust you're looking at.

Don't mislead people...

**PS- It's "FYI" not DIY
Old 02-15-2003, 03:15 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

Originally posted by araffio
WRONG!!

The OBX is not 2.25", it is defintiely 2.50". I measured mine and it was 2.50", and compared to stock piping, it is definitely larger in diameter.

Don't mislead people...

**PS- It's "FYI" not DIY
I didn't mislead people, the seller that we all bought it from did. He is the one who put false info like saying its a 4.5 in tip and it being able to 95-96 causing org members to have to deal with his mistakes and not to mention the problem about the GD.
I measured the 2 b-pipe that they send to me, if it was just one of the two that had 2.25 in piping I wouldn't have said anything but both b pipe are 2.25 in, I even measured the gasket that came with it. My roomate can prove it because he did the same thing, I was wondering if anyone have pics of the diameter of their pipe? To those who hasn't installed theirs measure it and see it for yourself. If its 2.5 in then the seller fu*k my systems (owell) and if its 2.25in like we measured it then its good to let everyone else know about it.

PS- I saw my DIY mistake- I was typing a little too fast, my mistake.
PSS. Don't try and attack me for trying to help, I'm tell it like I see it. If this wasn't the issue (if I was saying something stupid) then I deserve it but I'm trying to let people know about this setup so they can make a better decision on which exhaust they like to get.
Old 02-15-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by jcy98maxse

Don't try and attack me for trying to help, I'm tell it like I see it. If this wasn't the issue (if I was saying something stupid) then I deserve it but I'm trying to let people know about this setup so they can make a better decision on which exhaust they like to get.
OK, I understand.....but you're wrong
Old 02-15-2003, 10:23 AM
SLOW

Thats all good info, I am currently considering this exhaust and this post has helped.

One thing though, its either 2.25 or 2.5. Which is it. jcy98maxse said he measured two separate exhaust systems and the gaskets, sounds pretty convincing to me. araffio have you actually measured this or are you going by what you've heard. It's not hard to measure something with a ruler or measuring tape, and it'd be pretty hard for 2 people to measure it incorrectly. Let's make sure we are talking ID (that's INSIDE DIAMETER) here as well. The inside diameter is all that counts.
Old 02-15-2003, 10:30 AM

Originally posted by Nealoc187
Thats all good info, I am currently considering this exhaust and this post has helped.

One thing though, its either 2.25 or 2.5. Which is it. jcy98maxse said he measured two separate exhaust systems and the gaskets, sounds pretty convincing to me. araffio have you actually measured this or are you going by what you've heard. It's not hard to measure something with a ruler or measuring tape, and it'd be pretty hard for 2 people to measure it incorrectly. Let's make sure we are talking ID (that's INSIDE DIAMETER) here as well. The inside diameter is all that counts.

I have the OBX system and measured it right before I put it on the car. jcy98maxse is right when he says the tip is said to be 4.5" but is 4.0", however the piping is definitely not 2.25".
Old 02-15-2003, 02:51 PM

Well, I just measured mine . . .

. . . and it is 2 1/4, inner diameter, b-pipe and muffler/rear sections. Not 2 1/2. Bought mine as part of the group deal, have a '96, and haven't done anything with it except put it on a garage shelf.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:05 PM

This is my obx system: 2 1/4 piping 4" tip

Troy
Old 02-15-2003, 04:01 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by tm96max
This is my obx system: 2 1/4 piping 4" tip

Troy
Certainly looks like 2.25 to me.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:16 PM
Sin

Have you guys considered you have different models? Considering how poorly SSAutochrome ran his business, and the known fact that he was selling exhausts to cars that didn't fit (95-96), I wouldn't be surprised if he sold you guys differing exhausts.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:57 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

True, but I was going off the exhausts that came to me and my roomate for 98s, I was assuming that many others got the same one because there were similar fitment issues. I believe it is the same exhaust that everyone is getting because OBX doesn't make more than one catback for us. I do still feel the gain even though it is only a 2.25in. Again that another thing you have to pay for the cheaper price for this catback.

Thanx for everyone contributing, it was a great mistery for about a day or so... me and araffio already installed ours so there was no point in uninstalling it to measure them. It good to find out at least what was exactly going on.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Sin
Have you guys considered you have different models? Considering how poorly SSAutochrome ran his business, and the known fact that he was selling exhausts to cars that didn't fit (95-96), I wouldn't be surprised if he sold you guys differing exhausts.
I doubt that the catback would fit any other car other than a maxima. It could be that for whatever reason, 95-96 and 97+ OBX catbacks are different. It also could be that OBX just uses whatever pipe they have available when they do their production runs.

Troy, from you second pic, it almost looks like the pipe is 2" and not even 2.25"(?). This should be an internal diameter (I.D.) measurement and not including the thickness of the pipe itself.

Regardless, I think 2.25" is fine for n/a and the price is still very very nice.
Old 02-15-2003, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Mishmosh

I doubt that the catback would fit any other car other than a maxima. It could be that for whatever reason, 95-96 and 97+ OBX catbacks are different. It also could be that OBX just uses whatever pipe they have available when they do their production runs.

Troy, from you second pic, it almost looks like the pipe is 2" and not even 2.25"(?). This should be an internal diameter (I.D.) measurement and not including the thickness of the pipe itself.

Regardless, I think 2.25" is fine for n/a and the price is still very very nice.
I am jcy98maxse's roomate. The pipe is definitely 2.25" inner diameter. Not 2.5 and I am pretty sure its not 2" as well. I measured both exhausts(my roomate's and mine) several times and got 2.25". The picture makes it look like less than 2.25" but I think its just the picture. I am also not happy about the b-pipe hanging so low. I haven't fixed mine yet and I think I am going to have it cut out and rewelded. I also had to grind my 0-2 sensor because they welded the threads for it too close to the resonator.

Now the good things. I like the sound the exhaust gives my car. The tip looks good from behind the car and the exhaust is polished nicely. I also like the price.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the exhaust but I will be happy with mine as soon as I get the b-pipe fixed because it hangs REALLY low.
Old 02-15-2003, 06:02 PM

As of yet i have not installed mine. I have a friend who is a wizzard at making almost anything work, even when it should not. He is an excellent tig welder so I think he can get it to work by cutting or modifying it to fit properly. If I get it to fit I'll post pics and give details on what it took to get it to work on my 96. I'm going to see if he can get the b-pipe to fit better as well, by cutting it and re-welding it. He was going to do it today, but he got sick so was unable to do it.

Troy
Old 02-15-2003, 08:27 PM

I got one in my garage too and its 2 1/4...But I put my hand around the B-pipe and then got underneath the car and felt the b-pipe thats on my car (stock) and it feels considerable smaller than the OBX

-matt
Old 02-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Sports Button FTW

WRONG!!

Don't mislead people...

**PS- It's "FYI" not DIY
WTF, its a 2.5" piping, i measured mine myself, in fact i think i even took a pic. Maybe thats why yours is so loud? you dont have the right one? its 2.5", instead of stating facts of it being 2.25", you should have made a post asking what the size of everyone's is. You seen me and arrafio talking about it being 2.5" in the past and its advertised everywhere as 2.5", why would u just throw out the fact that its 2.25" without proper research?
Old 02-15-2003, 08:59 PM

I measured mine today and its 2.25....WTF

-matt
Old 02-15-2003, 09:56 PM
SLOW

Originally posted by meccanoble

WTF, its a 2.5" piping, i measured mine myself, in fact i think i even took a pic. Maybe thats why yours is so loud? you dont have the right one? its 2.5", instead of stating facts of it being 2.25", you should have made a post asking what the size of everyone's is. You seen me and arrafio talking about it being 2.5" in the past and its advertised everywhere as 2.5", why would u just throw out the fact that its 2.25" without proper research?
Perhaps you didn't notice the pictures and all the people saying they measured it and its 2.25?
Old 02-15-2003, 10:03 PM
Sports Button FTW

Originally posted by Nealoc187

Perhaps you didn't notice the pictures and all the people saying they measured it and its 2.25?
i'm too ignorant to read . Nah, i just saw first post and posted mine, didnt check everyone else's feedback but he didnt know about everyone else's feedback so in actuallity, he didnt do the proper research

j/k
Old 02-16-2003, 02:24 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

i'm too ignorant to read . Nah, i just saw first post and posted mine, didnt check everyone else's feedback but he didnt know about everyone else's feedback so in actuallity, he didnt do the proper research

j/k
Apparently ignorance isn't your only problem, you also don't seem to comprehend what you read because in my first post I said that I measure both mine and my roomate's catback, and I also asked everyone to measure theirs to settle this problem plus why would I need to ask anybody else if I had two catbacks that you claim so strongly that its 2.5" in front of me?"(Remember they also advertised a 4.5 in tip too which was worng and it fitting a 95-96). All I had to do was measure it to see it for myself. So I did what you called "proper research" unless you would like to redefine what proper research means to everyone.
I'm not trying to belittle you but sometimes its annoying and offensive when all I'm trying to do is help and people try to make me sound discreditable like I'm a liar or something...
Picture is worth a thousand words, unless what we all are seeing is wrong, I believe that the bpipe is 2.25. If you would like to post you pics showing that it is a 2.5", then you and Araffio would have a stronger argument.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:01 AM

If you would like to post you pics showing that it is a 2.5", then you and Araffio would have a stronger argument.
You're very right, unfortunately it's installed on my car already.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:20 AM
Turbo is too much fun!

You're very right, unfortunately it's installed on my car already.
Well Mecca said that he has a pic of it so we can wait and see his pic. I've installed mine too or I would have taken the pic myself.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Sin

Why don't you guys just take a caliper and check the outter diameter right now. It'll take all of 5 seconds to check it on your car. If you don't have a caliper, just use a measuring tape, and use some geometry.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:25 AM

in a performance aspect..... does the difference between 2.25 and 2.5 really account for anything?? i am getting one so i am just curious
Old 02-16-2003, 11:40 AM

Originally posted by DTR Maxima
in a performance aspect..... does the difference between 2.25 and 2.5 really account for anything?? i am getting one so i am just curious
For a NA Maxima with just bolt-ons, no. For a boosted car, definitely.
Old 02-16-2003, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by tm96max
I have a friend who is a wizzard at making almost anything work, even when it should not. If I get it to fit I'll post pics and give details on what it took to get it to work on my 96. Troy
Thank You very much . . . very interested in what you/he come up with, especially pics and suggestions. Until then, mine will be gathering dust in the garage.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:14 PM

i'm too ignorant to read . Nah, i just saw first post and posted mine, didnt check everyone else's feedback but he didnt know about everyone else's feedback so in actuallity, he didnt do the proper research j/k
Dude, instead of continuing to come across like an a$$, why don't you apologize for being so quick to react? Man. After your "twin turbo VQ" post, I'm starting to wish there was a kill file on the org (or maybe there is and I don't know about it).

Anybody have more info on this? Looks to me like we got 4 reports of 2.25" piping from the catbacks purchased in the group deal. Is there anybody else out there who has the OBX that *didn't* buy from the group deal?

Arrafio, any chance you could get an outside diameter on your B-pipe? I'm sure we could compare with jcy98maxse's outside diameter and find out more...

theLoon
Old 02-16-2003, 01:46 PM

I think it was quite ironic that he was telling him to do more research before posting, ...and he didn't even read the full thread.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:00 PM

who cares about a damn tip anyway?

and when the hel is mine coming in? cant wait to see this stupid diameter problem..
Old 02-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

I have a question about the fitment issue on the 95-96. What is the problem, I'm not familiar with the exhaust difference between the 95-96's and the 97-99's, can those who have one explain? Thanx.
Old 02-16-2003, 05:31 PM
CaLSoNiC

Why not just get a custom catback? You can get the piping size you want, and your fitment wont be all fizacked. I mean you can get a Generic muffler off ebay for like $50 and then a custom b-pipe at your muffler shop for around $100... $150 isnt bad.

Old 02-16-2003, 07:28 PM
Sports Button FTW

Apparently ignorance isn't your only problem, you also don't seem to comprehend what you read because in my first post I said that I measure both mine and my roomate's catback, and I also asked everyone to measure theirs to settle this problem plus why would I need to ask anybody else if I had two catbacks that you claim so strongly that its 2.5" in front of me?"(Remember they also advertised a 4.5 in tip too which was worng and it fitting a 95-96). All I had to do was measure it to see it for myself. So I did what you called "proper research" unless you would like to redefine what proper research means to everyone.
I'm not trying to belittle you but sometimes its annoying and offensive when all I'm trying to do is help and people try to make me sound discreditable like I'm a liar or something...
Picture is worth a thousand words, unless what we all are seeing is wrong, I believe that the bpipe is 2.25. If you would like to post you pics showing that it is a 2.5", then you and Araffio would have a stronger argument.
i only have a pic of the tip, didnt take a pic of the b-pipe but i measured it to 2.5", but like u said a picture is worth a thousand words, however i'm not gonna spend another 50 dollars to keep OBX's good name in check...i was saying u didnt do proper research because u knew me and arrafio said it was 2.5" inches from when we first got ours and just cause you and your room mate got 2.25" doesnt mean everyone else did, especially seeing me and arrafio didnt. It would have been better to just say "OBX is 2.25", ahh, i'll stop arguing, i seriously think like OBX sent u guys like a bad batch or something. When did u receive yours?

honestly, anyone that has this at a 2.25" piping, i would send it back and get a custom one wit 2.5". Only advantage OBX has is that its stainless steel really...and two resonators which any shop can take care of...

But i apologize for acting a fool in your thread
Old 02-16-2003, 07:58 PM

Originally posted by sil SE
who cares about a damn tip anyway?

and when the hel is mine coming in? cant wait to see this stupid diameter problem..
dam, u still didnt get yours yet?? everyones received, and installed by now....u better do some research
Old 02-16-2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by CaLSoNiC
Why not just get a custom catback? You can get the piping size you want, and your fitment wont be all fizacked. I mean you can get a Generic muffler off ebay for like $50 and then a custom b-pipe at your muffler shop for around $100... $150 isnt bad.
In general, the quality and fitment of custom jobs are worse and certainly for the price of the OBX, you really can't complain. Few muffler shops even carry mandrel-bent pipe. Many muffler shop welds are sloppy. Worst of all, the sound of the system when coupled with the generic muffler is a big question mark... At least OBX seemingly has attempted to copy Greddy and maybe even surpassed it in some regard. With news of 2.25" pipe, seems like OBX is an Apexi/Greddy hybrid.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Sin

I totally disagree about your comment about custom work. Yes, shops don't do good custom work. But there are plenty of shops that do AWESOME work. Secondly, with custom work, you can go with any setup you want. Want a resonator? Sure? Want an absorptive muffler? Sure? Don't want either? Sure.

And for those that haven't received their catbacks yet, I'd be worried. This guy isn't exactly known for practicing the best business ethics.
Old 02-16-2003, 08:35 PM

I just measured my OBX, its exactly 2.25 inch inside diameter. Anybody who says its 2.5 is in denial.

Also, if you haven't received yours yet, email ssautochrome, he sent me a fedex tracking page for the 2 packages.
Old 02-16-2003, 09:07 PM

Originally posted by Sin
I totally disagree about your comment about custom work.
Yeah, OK. My statements were in the context of the "$150" cat back. No doubt a reputable shop like Budget can fashion you a superlative B-pipe with Stainless and mandrel bends for a reasonable amount. South of the border though, I think you will be hard pressed to find one of these for less than $300. Of course, the OBX is not installed so you can tack on some premium there. With regard to customization though, I think most people have no idea how many resonators they want (or if they can live without them) or things of that nature until the cat-back is installed and they are not happy with the sound. Then they will be paying extra for such modifications done to it, eg. adding a resonator or going with a different muffler. Not quite the same thing for comparison purposes.

Quick Reply: To all who has OBX or interested in one...