4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

tinted windows in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 08:01 PM

tinted windows in the dark

I am trying to convince my parents to let me get tint before I completely pay off my debt to them. My dad is really firm to believe that tint will make me near-blind at night. He keeps telling me to go outside at 10PM with sunglasses on and tell him how well I can see. To those who have darker than 40% on their cars, is it really as hard to see as he makes it seem?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:17 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Re: tinted windows in the dark

Originally posted by white95max
I am trying to convince my parents to let me get tint before I completely pay off my debt to them. My dad is really firm to believe that tint will make me near-blind at night. He keeps telling me to go outside at 10PM with sunglasses on and tell him how well I can see. To those who have darker than 40% on their cars, is it really as hard to see as he makes it seem?
Be practical about it... when do you drive the most? During the day or night?

Tint keeps the car cool inside, also a big reason why I got it was to protect my leather... gotta have all those harmful sun rays filtered.

Finally, you are going to tint your rear windshield and back 2 windows.. maybe ure front 2 too. But what I'm saying is that, you aren't tinting ure front windshield so technically the whole sunglasses in the dark doesn't really apply. NOW, if there were cars behind you then, you can't see them but since it's the dark, they have headlights on in which you DO see them. So no real prob there, only downside is you probably can't tell a cop is following you... but then again that's why you got ure 2 side mirrors.

The only thing that hurts during the night w/ dark tint is the visibility you see with your rear view mirror but you can get add-ons such as Broadway Type-A mirrors which have more aluminum to reflect light better and allowing u to see more... but it's not all that great but it's something you can tell your dad about. BTW, it only costs like 12 bucks shipped.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2003, 08:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i have 15% tint. it is SOMETIMES hard to see something. but just remember that they are tinted and dont be dumb. ESPECIALLY when backing up, be very carefull.

maybe you should pay back your parents first tho?
Old 02-17-2003, 08:41 PM

I have 27% tint on all my windows (not the windshield though..duh) and i can see perfect out of them at night..maybe i have special nightvision eyes
Old 02-17-2003, 09:14 PM

I have about 7% tint all around and I dont really have a problem seeing at night the reason is, because my eyes have adjusted to the tint and I still often think my tint isn't dark enough. Once you get use to the tint its like normal driving, it should take about 2 weeks to get used to. I say what the hell Go for it and get the damn tint even if pops is still beefin!!!
Old 02-17-2003, 10:11 PM

i just got my windows done last week. i decided to get 5% and have no regrets so far. choosing your darkness really depends on how well your night vision is. i can see very well in the dark so i have no problem. only thing is that i have difficulty telling if there is a cop behind me if it is one of those unmarked ones. although at night it is easy to see cars due to their lights, it may be difficult to see pedestrians. sometimes when i ride through resedential areas ill roll down the window a lil just to make sure. another thing is climate. Pouring rain + pitch dark highway + 50 mile per hour speeds + 5% tint is very dangerous. i found that out last night.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

dont worry bro

i got 20% all around.. i can see fine.. believe me.. from the inside u barely notice the tint
Old 02-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Sin

I would disagree

I have 20% rear, and rear sides, 35% front sides. From a safety/practicality stand point, I would say the darkest that would not affect safety, is 35% all round.

At night, the vibility from the outside in varies depending on ambient lighting. It goes from people can see the people in the front and nothing in the rear, to nothing in the front or rear. The visbility of the front is entirely because the windshield isn't tinted.

At night, in the daytime, the tint is nice and dark enough. It's not limo dark, but I don't like it that dark anyways. Unless I have my sunroof open or the moonroof shade slid back, the most people can usually see is profile, unless it's the middle of the day, then you can make out the front passengers, and BARELY the rear.

99% of the time, you'll never run into problems. However, I find that when backing up at night in a non-lit area, it's pretty hard to see back. Most of the time, if there is no ambsient lighting (i.e. a dark parking lot) you practically won't see anything.

This begs the question. Why not just upgrade the backup lights if that's the only problem? And I agree, if I could get my reverse lights to be brighter, I'd probably want even darker tint. But that's just not that convenient option (upgraded wiring and higher wattage bulbs, or auxillary reverse lighting).

Don't forget, there is about 5% tint in the glass itself. So 35% tint on your front windows is really 30%, which makes it technically illegal in MANY states. 99% of all states are either 35%, or the more subjective, driver must be visible from outside (yes that's actually a low, ridiculously subjective eh?).

To sum it up, in my opinion, those saying they don't have problems, probably don't park in dark areas as much as I do. I have yet to back into anything, but I must say, a lot of the time, I'm using my sideview mirrors a LOT during reversing at night. Again, looks wise, I'd love 0%. But practically, I'd say 35%.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:49 PM
† ErV †

5% all around and i've never felt better about SUVs shinning their highs at my rear for miles while the driver is spitting on the cell totaly obnoxious to the fact that 'hey i have my high beams in that dudes face'. so uhm yeah.. i love 5%.

only thing is pedestrians and bikers who have no lights. depending on the ambient you can or cannot see them. so if you have a lot of city driving (i have 1-5% of total mileage), don't go under 35%. not good.

Old 02-18-2003, 04:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have dark tinted windows (about two steps down from limo tint) and have had no problems whatsoever driving at night with them. But, I have been driving with this type of tint in Florida for over twenty years.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:34 PM

I have 30, and its fine to drive day or night, no obstructed vision. THe only problem I have is, in the morning, when the window is fogged up from the dew I cant defrost it cuz i dont want to ruin the tint so I have to drive with just the outside mirrors so thats cool.

NO BIGGIE.

BTW, my dad was just like yours until I just went ahead and did it then he sees its not a problem.
Old 02-18-2003, 12:54 PM

THe only problem I have is, in the morning, when the window is fogged up from the dew I cant defrost it cuz i dont want to ruin the tint so I have to drive with just the outside mirrors so thats cool.
you can't use rear defrosters on a tinted rear windshield?--is that what this means?
Old 02-18-2003, 12:55 PM
Sports Button FTW

i had 35% mirror/black tint on my first maxima and it was so hard to see at night. Especially the back window, and dont even think of looking through the side mirrors. The only thing that saved me were lights from the other drivers. It makes car look great but it definitely is a PIA to drive at night
Old 02-18-2003, 01:23 PM
Kevlo for President

i have 30 and i can see perfectly at night
Old 02-18-2003, 01:39 PM

I have 5% on my car and I can see good at night! All my cars have
5% window tint on them! the only way to go.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by hydroMaxNinja

you can't use rear defrosters on a tinted rear windshield?--is that what this means?
I use my rear defrosters all the time and I have tint on my rear windshield. I was never told not to.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:49 PM
Sin

Originally posted by WaarrEagle

I use my rear defrosters all the time and I have tint on my rear windshield. I was never told not to.
Don't worry about it. If you have good tint, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:16 PM

I have 35% on the sides and 20% in the back and I have no problem seeing at night. My friend has 20% all around and sometimes it not easy to see out the front sides if your going around a turn and you want to make sure theres no people there.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:18 PM

as long as your going to have someplace do it that uses a good tint night visibility shouldnt be a problem. i have mine done in 35% and drove a vehicle for a while with 2.5% and from the inside there was no difference at all in visibility. if you plan on doin it yourself with tint from walmart or and auto store i wouldnt go more that 35. one of my friends had cheap 5% on it and i could barely see outa it at night. and as far as not usin the rear defroster i always use it and havent had a problem with walmart tint or pro stuff. good luck with the parents
Old 02-18-2003, 03:18 PM
vicodin ... gift of life

Originally posted by Sin

Don't worry about it. If you have good tint, you have nothing to worry about.
whoa thats an interesting point... maybe that's why my rear windshield w/ 50% tint is all blurry and stuff now.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Sin

Originally posted by nadir_s

whoa thats an interesting point... maybe that's why my rear windshield w/ 50% tint is all blurry and stuff now.
I have had 35% on my Volvo's for 4 years, and I know for a fact that the rear window defroster is more powerful than the Maximas, and trust me, in Toronto, the defroster is used OFTEN. And the tint is still nice and clear.

My Maxima has had tint for about a year now. I know that I use my defroster quite often, and again, no problems yet.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:27 PM

I have 30% which legally the darkest you can have in my state. I have no problem driving, seeing, manuevering in reverse at night. No problems with visability out the side windows either. It's nice and private, keeps the heat down in the summer, and looks nice I think. Check my homepage to see 30%. Hope you get tint. You'll like it.
Old 02-18-2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by hydroMaxNinja

No, you can use them, I just dont want to lose $130 worth of hard work. Yes, the tint I have and the job they did will hold through that heat, but im paranoid about turning it on now
Old 02-18-2003, 04:53 PM

I have 39% reflective tint all around. Here in Cali it's illegal to have the front 2 window tinted. However, most cops seem to turn away at this....unless you have a VERY noticeable car and your doing something for them to pull you over. Anyways, I don't have a problem at night...the tint I have has excellent visibility looking from the inside out, even at night.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:03 PM

i hav got 15% on the rear window and on the rear side windows. on the driver and passenger fronts i have 35%. i have no problem at all with visibility. it actually helps during the day, because of the light blocked from the sun, but i must say recently i hav had alot of trouble here in jersey with the driver and passenger windows. so a word of advice, if u tint driver and passenger front windows, get the rears done first and drive around for a bit, so ur car is known for the rears only, then after a month or a few weeks, get the fronts done. and if u hav a sunroof, drive with it open at times. the light entering the car makes the tint not noticable.

hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2003, 05:09 PM
Sin

"if u tint driver and passenger front windows, get the rears done first and drive around for a bit, so ur car is known for the rears only, then after a month or a few weeks, get the fronts done."

Is population or should I say traffic, so sparse where you are, that people will remember your car for its tints?

"and if u hav a sunroof, drive with it open at times. the light entering the car makes the tint not noticable."

If that's the case, why not just get them less tinted? Plus, most tint tickets occur at night.
Old 02-18-2003, 07:12 PM

dark *** tint

i have limo tint on mine and it is really dark and hard to see. if theres lights on or someone behind me its not a big deal, but if noone is out and its dark, i need to roll down my windows to see my rearviews and see behind me.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:53 AM

...so I guess you super dark tint fellas don't live where:

A) it rains.
B) it snows.
C) it gets foggy sometimes (day or night).
D) the sun sits low in the sky in the morning or early evening.
E) drivers forget to turn on their lights in any of the above conditions...

...and you keep the outsides of your windows immaculately clean at all times.

There's a reason that most places have restrictions on how dark your tints can be - if you can't SEE what might cause a collision, you are more likely to be involved IN a collision.

I don't think there's ever been a paramedic who said, "Man, this guy's really messed up and might not make it - but damn, his tints are tight!"

<end of sermon>
Old 02-19-2003, 10:57 AM

i have a 15% tint on all windows save the windshield, and a 5% tint on the sunroof.

i have never had a problem. i live where there is plenty of snow, i have used my defroster without issue. they dont blur, fog, smudge, purple, bubble or anything. i dont keep them immaculate most of the time.

i have madico tint and it was applied by a VERY professional guy, the edges are not visible without looking VERY closely and the back window is one piece, i am very happy.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
I need a truck

He keeps telling me to go outside at 10PM with sunglasses on and tell him how well I can see.

1) i have 20% and it's not bad driving at night even in bad weather
2) tell him to shove that sentance up his a$$, who the hell wears sunglasses at night while driving... i mean comeon now
Old 02-19-2003, 11:10 AM
Sin

MChapel, SO true. I would even add cities that don't light everywhere a car can legally go.

And Miasma, why would you want your moonroof that dark? You won't even be able to enjoy it at night anymore.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Sin

Re: Re: tinted windows in the dark

Originally posted by Conrad283

1) i have 20% and it's not bad driving at night even in bad weather
2) tell him to shove that sentance up his a$$, who the hell wears sunglasses at night while driving... i mean comeon now
I agree, no one drives with sunglasses on at night. If you did, your front windshield would appear as dark as the rest of your glass. But it's true. Having tints on your car, is like wearing sunglasses at night, when you look through every tinted window.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

to everyone who thinks the defroster screws up your tint: That's why you go to a place with a lifetime warranty. You get what you pay for.

A good combination of tint is 15% on front and rear side windows, and 25-35% on the rear.

Also, someone brought up a good point: Why not upgrade our back-up lights. I'm pretty sure that they're 194s, but the only thing i can find in that size aare superwhites...are those brighter, or just a whiter light?
Old 02-19-2003, 12:13 PM
MaximaFreak

At this point I refuse to read all these posts, so let me just give you my opinion - maybe it will help.

I have 5% all the way around here in FL. It helps a lot with heat and such, but I mainly got it for privacy as I don't think everyone and their mother should be able to see into your car while it's parked.

However, at night, visibility is at a minimum. I NEVER make quick lane changes at night and I always take my time when turning onto a highway ... in fact, I usually roll down my windows when making turns to ensure that cars are in fact as far away as I think they are.

Basically if you are not willing to be more careful with the tint, don't get it.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:53 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Basically if you are not willing to be more careful with the tint, don't get it.
best advice you can get
Old 02-19-2003, 01:55 PM
MaximaFreak

Originally posted by gtr_rider

No, you can use them, I just dont want to lose $130 worth of hard work. Yes, the tint I have and the job they did will hold through that heat, but im paranoid about turning it on now
Ummm, when I used to tint, I used to tell people SPECIFICALLY to turn their defroster on - it helps dry the tint out. The defrosters will never hurt tint.
Old 02-19-2003, 05:42 PM
I need a truck

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Ummm, when I used to tint, I used to tell people SPECIFICALLY to turn their defroster on - it helps dry the tint out. The defrosters will never hurt tint.
yeah, true that ... i have no idea whether my tint has a life time warranty but i've had it for over 2 years and it's been holding up just fine
Old 02-19-2003, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by Big_Ham

Thats what happens when you go to some idiot enterprise "Tint World" Good thing its Lifetime Warantee..
Old 02-19-2003, 08:36 PM

I have 35% tint all around and I have no complaints and its also helpful keeping those SUV/truck lights from blinding the crap out of you.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko

Also, someone brought up a good point: Why not upgrade our back-up lights. I'm pretty sure that they're 194s, but the only thing i can find in that size aare superwhites...are those brighter, or just a whiter light?
I checked in to upgrading my reverse lights. My tint is 25% on the back, and I can't see very well out my back window when backing at night. I usually walk around the car if possible before backing because of this decreased visibility. The bulbs however are not 194. I believe they were 921's when I pulled one to see about upgrading it to one of those advertised as 50% brighter. I do remember they were only 18 watt. Not sure how to make them brighter, but I'm still looking for someway to do it.

Dave

Quick Reply: tinted windows in the dark