4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Car is giving me problems.

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 06:02 PM

Car is giving me problems.

Like a week ago i posted that my car would give jolts while it was in drive or reverse while going at very low speeds or if at idle in drive or reverse. It acts perfectly normal in Park though. Well i changed the spark plugs and now the jolt while standing still in Drive and Reverse are very rare but the car still does it. The difference now is that when i am braking from whatever speed when it is almost coming to a complete stop it gives a hard jolt. It does not do this every time. Someone please help
Andy
Old 02-19-2003, 07:18 PM

"Car is giving me problems."

you need to smack it in the face and say "who's yo daddy!?"

then, if youre a 5 speed..make sure youre not slowing to 5mph in 4th gear. if its an auto. i dont know.

im turning into a pw this is bad.

Originally posted by MaXAnDy
Like a week ago i posted that my car would give jolts while it was in drive or reverse while going at very low speeds or if at idle in drive or reverse. It acts perfectly normal in Park though. Well i changed the spark plugs and now the jolt while standing still in Drive and Reverse are very rare but the car still does it. The difference now is that when i am braking from whatever speed when it is almost coming to a complete stop it gives a hard jolt. It does not do this every time. Someone please help
Andy
Old 02-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 02-20-2003, 05:45 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

You have a misfire.

Have your fuel system cleaned - Throttle body and Injectors.

Check your coil packs - Make sure the connections are good and solid. Also check the ground points near the fuel rail. Make sure there clean and solid.

Has your ECU thrown any codes?
Old 02-20-2003, 07:39 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Car is giving me problems.

Originally posted by MaXAnDy
Andy
Mine used to buck and stall in drive or reverse and stall out also.
I just took off my TB and actuially scraped the crap off with a scraper. That cleared my problem up.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:40 AM

the car was giving the egr code and my mechanic checked it out and cleaned it up and he says thats not it.

This all started after i had a tune up and changed the oil, fuel filter, and spark plugs. A week later the ecu code turned on giving hte egr code. My mechanic turned it off, but a day later it turned back on, i took it back and he cleaned the egr and he changed the plugs again. And the problem is like i stated above. By the way i am auto.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:41 AM

visual inspection?
maybe i should do this.. what do you think? it popped a multiple misfire code but no specific cylinder, and now its reset and after at least a hundredsome miles, no problems
Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Check your coil packs - Make sure the connections are good and solid. Also check the ground points near the fuel rail. Make sure there clean and solid.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:22 AM

What kind of plugs are you using?
Old 02-21-2003, 04:43 AM

my mechanic said he ordered the pkugs from nissan.

Anyone else have some useful info?
Old 02-21-2003, 05:31 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Take the coils back out and inspect the electrode stalk that goes to the spark plug for any signs of cracking. A few have said that wraping it with a layer or two of electrical tape has helped cure misfires.