4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

My OBX is in !!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 06:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My OBX is in !!!

Its quiet...really quiet but I like it..I have to go over to Mineike tomorrow to see about getting the b-pipe heated up and bent do its not hanging down any more and its makeing alittle noise at idle and when I hit bumps and stuff... It fit pretty good and I paid someone to losen all the bolts and stuff

Im definetly going to be getting a test pipe to make it alittle louder..there is like zero drone

-matt
Old 02-21-2003, 07:49 PM
NAS

if you get it fixed let us know how it goes my obx hangs in front of the rear tire you can see 1.5 ft or so... si i was thinking of asking someone to bend it for me or something, soubds great really quiet imo.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:02 PM

Im probably going to get a test pipe now to make the car alittle bit louder. Sometimes you cant even hear the exhaust, but in some ways, thats good. Im going tomorrow to Midas or Mineike to get the b-pipe heated up, and bent up alittle bit, then ill align it really good to the bumper...I also have to decide if Im going to ask to have the guy chop about 1" off before the muffler then reweld it and put it so its flush with the bumper...I dont want to have it hacked, then when I get my test pipe, it be shorter than the bumper..

what do you think ??

-matt
Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 PM

So Matty, you have a 96 I see in your profile. Did it fit in with out having to change anything? Just a little long by the tip only?

Troy
Old 02-21-2003, 09:57 PM

It's only about 1-2" too long but I may have that corrected tomorrow morning when I go to get the b-pipe twisted..I may not even fu** around with the length till I get the test pipe just to make sure that doesnt change anything

-matt
Old 02-21-2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by matty
It's only about 1-2" too long but I may have that corrected tomorrow morning when I go to get the b-pipe twisted..I may not even fu** around with the length till I get the test pipe just to make sure that doesnt change anything

-matt
Thats strange, since mine is 1-2 inches too long and I have a 98. Maybe they aren't the same model cat-backs like everyone thought? I figured if mine stuck out 1-2 then on a 95-96 it would stick out 3-4??
Old 02-22-2003, 12:37 AM
Sports Button FTW

i have a 97 and mien sticks out like half an inch to an inch max, which i'm happy with, actually want it to sit flush wit bumper and thats good enough, have it stick out a little....but yea i also had meineke heat up the pipe so it fit better. A test pipe will make the sound greaten but just make sure u get the right one, u dont want a nasty raspy sound to follow u around....i'll take it u dont have a y-pipe? or u do and its still too quiet? i guess they and our opinions met your expectations
Old 02-22-2003, 12:03 PM

I got back from minike and they did what they can do...They heated it up altitle bit but its still not perfect. They guy said it really doenst fit the car all that good, but Im satisfied with it

It is a very quiet exhaust even with the y-pipe. When you do get on it, it sounds really good all the way up the power band, witch surprised me becasue i thaght it gets drowned out from the intake..and the purr of the exhasut is hella good. I feels alot more linear through the gears but quiet as h*ll... Next is the test pipe to see if I can get it a tad bit louder then ill align the tip to the muffler

-matt
Old 02-22-2003, 12:21 PM

I got back from minike and they did what they can do...They heated it up altitle bit but its still not perfect. They guy said it really doenst fit the car all that good, but Im satisfied with it

It is a very quiet exhaust even with the y-pipe. When you do get on it, it sounds really good all the way up the power band, witch surprised me becasue i thaght it gets drowned out from the intake..and the purr of the exhasut is hella good. I feels alot more linear through the gears but quiet as h*ll... Next is the test pipe to see if I can get it a tad bit louder then ill align the tip to the muffler

-matt
how big is the muffler? i'm curious because if it's a straight through design then that's impressive for being so quiet.
Old 02-22-2003, 08:34 PM

I heard its straight threw, but from the a*s hole we bought it from, it could not be

I like it..I need a test pipe now

-matt
Old 02-23-2003, 01:58 AM

I heard its straight threw, but from the a*s hole we bought it from, it could not be

I like it..I need a test pipe now

-matt
i was talking about the muffler canister. if you look inside the tailpipe do you see one straight perforated pipe going the length of the muffler? does it reduce in diameter or is it consistently 2.25" in diameter?
Old 02-23-2003, 02:29 AM

its so quiet that you gotta get a straight pipe to make it louder? - dam thats a first
Old 02-23-2003, 05:47 AM

I filled my hole on my 97 with a bolt and muffler cement, what did you use? Mineke quoted me to 40 dollars to weld it shut, I got the damned thing installed for forty, I told them to go suck a ****.....
Old 02-23-2003, 07:51 AM
NAS

i agree about the sound being quiet, the intake sound drowns the exhaust out ot 3000rpm, I like the stealthy approach so this is sweet. Im going tomarrow to see if this guy I know can maybe make it fit better, the only problems that I have is that right befor the rear tire you can see about 1.5ft of shiny pipe hanging down from the side of the car, and the bpipe rests on the middle support tie that is in the center of the car where the hanger is. this caused rattleing so I rigged a piece of that fiberglass stuff from the stock exahaust inbetween the pipe and support to make the rattle stop. other than that my tip fots perfectly and is flush with the rear bumper.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:51 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

Let guess, the guys that say the catback is quiet DO NOT have y-pipes yet? Just wait. You'll see that the Y-pipe introduces a ton of extra noise and resonance.

Dave
Old 02-23-2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe
its so quiet that you gotta get a straight pipe to make it louder? - dam thats a first

Nah the thing is, I have a y-pipe...Im on the highway at 80-3200rpms and I can barely hear the exhaust at all. At WOT it sounds sweet all the way up...im happy it doenst drowned out by the intake

I filled the o2 sensor hole with just a bolt...it did the job good

-matt
Old 02-23-2003, 11:24 AM
The original VQ...

i have a custom catback exhaust , i had a b-pipe bent up and it has no resonators and i have a universal muffler . It is louder than any afthermarket exhaust i heard on a maxima. Im worried than when i put my y-pipe it will be to loud , what do you guys think?