4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Cold Air vs Frankencar

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 02:01 PM

Cold Air vs Frankencar

I just wanted to see what opinions are with the Cold air intakes out there and say like Frankencar and Stillen pop charger. I just put in the Frankencar and I love it. I showed a friend the install, and he said I should have gone with the cold air. I told him that the cold air hurts the top end of the max, and the frankencar is one of the best intakes on the market for the max. he just said he dosent see how the car would get hurt top end, and that I have my stories all wrong. I do notice that after I took out the plastic underbody by the clutch, now it is all open. So I know air is getting into the engine. What I want to know is, is the cold air better for the Max, or should I just keep the Frankencar. Please help, I want to shut him up. He gets on my nerves about cars, he thinks he is the car god. Thanks
Old 02-22-2003, 03:01 PM

your friend is stupid , your right, frankencar is prolly the best intake out there right now, and will maximize the intake's potential basically to the point where if you could get better flow it wouldn't do much more, i know people who have dyno'd their frankencar to 11-14 + horsepower
Old 02-22-2003, 03:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I seriously thought that the Frankencar was going to be louder by the way some people were talking. I love my Frankencar. Happy with my purchase.
Old 02-22-2003, 03:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Cold Air vs Frankencar

Originally posted by DUNKEE
I just wanted to see what opinions are with the Cold air intakes out there and say like Frankencar and Stillen pop charger. I just put in the Frankencar and I love it. I showed a friend the install, and he said I should have gone with the cold air. I told him that the cold air hurts the top end of the max, and the frankencar is one of the best intakes on the market for the max. he just said he dosent see how the car would get hurt top end, and that I have my stories all wrong. I do notice that after I took out the plastic underbody by the clutch, now it is all open. So I know air is getting into the engine. What I want to know is, is the cold air better for the Max, or should I just keep the Frankencar. Please help, I want to shut him up. He gets on my nerves about cars, he thinks he is the car god. Thanks
DUNKEE, your friend is a donkey!

Cold air allows you engine to produce more power throughout the powerband because its a short intake. The long and twisted CAI's may cause the steep drop in power at high RPM's due to the pipe restrictions (bends and overall length).
Old 02-22-2003, 03:50 PM

i def will be buying a frankencar intake soon and obviously the good thigns that have been said about it, will make me want to buy it even more and soon with the intake and midpipe combo

thanks guy, and other things u can say here would be useful in my decision...

tino
Old 02-22-2003, 04:01 PM

Tell your friend to keep smoking the crack pipe, cuz he has no idea what he's talking about! LOL

I haven't heard a bad think about Frankencar, I think they're intakes would be your best bet if you want HAI (or upper intake) - the upper intake seems pretty common for those who just want the "asthma relief" that the stock VQ airbox provides...I have the Place Racing CAI, where the filter is located in the fender well...only differences are that the frankencar takes air from within the engine, which will be hotter than the air inside the fenderwell (which makes for a pretty good airbox IMO)...Deezo is right when he says that colder air is better for your engine... Although, I'm not quite sure about the 11-14hp gain from the frankencar intake on some maximas though, there's really no accurate way of telling what gains you will get from just an intake on the dyno...after all, when I dyno'd my car last, on the first few runs, I shot up by 10hp at the wheels, and topped out at 181.6hp (from a 156.0 stock hp dyno)...
Old 02-22-2003, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by TheSoundSoldier
Tell your friend to keep smoking the crack pipe, cuz he has no idea what he's talking about! LOL

I haven't heard a bad think about Frankencar, I think they're intakes would be your best bet if you want HAI (or upper intake) - the upper intake seems pretty common for those who just want the "asthma relief" that the stock VQ airbox provides...I have the Place Racing CAI, where the filter is located in the fender well...only differences are that the frankencar takes air from within the engine, which will be hotter than the air inside the fenderwell (which makes for a pretty good airbox IMO)...Deezo is right when he says that colder air is better for your engine... Although, I'm not quite sure about the 11-14hp gain from the frankencar intake on some maximas though, there's really no accurate way of telling what gains you will get from just an intake on the dyno...after all, when I dyno'd my car last, on the first few runs, I shot up by 10hp at the wheels, and topped out at 181.6hp (from a 156.0 stock hp dyno)...
Think Deezo made a typo about the cold air being a short intake. I used to have CAI but went with a midpipe/stillen intake because I felt the loss in highway speeds and also didnt feel much gain from a stop either. I did love the way CAI sounds though
Old 02-22-2003, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by Nismo

Think Deezo made a typo about the cold air being a short intake.
Where did I say that?
Old 02-23-2003, 12:51 AM

Originally posted by deezo
Where did I say that?
"Cold air allows you engine to produce more power throughout the powerband because its a short intake"

^few posts up
Old 02-23-2003, 05:51 AM

I have a pop-charger now, and I was going to buy one of those cold air-intakes on ebay for like 60-70 dollars. You get the shorty piece and cold-air part, instead just paying $50 for shorty part from Frankencar. That was I can swtich back and forth and see which one is better.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:12 AM

Originally posted by spanishrice
I have a pop-charger now, and I was going to buy one of those cold air-intakes on ebay for like 60-70 dollars. You get the shorty piece and cold-air part, instead just paying $50 for shorty part from Frankencar. That was I can swtich back and forth and see which one is better.
Some of the E-bay cold air intakes are the Injen (underhood) style and some are the place racing style (through the fenderwell), so make sure you are buying the kind you want. I have a Bomz CAI on the way and I plan to get a K&N filter for it. I will probably change to a short ram for winter in any case.

I have a short ram now but after doing some experiments with a temperature probe in the intake I see underhood temps do not quickly drop when you start moving like many members of this board think they do. I plan to do a intake temperature test on the CAI after I install it and compare it to the short ram temps. If the CAI temps are close to the outside temps like I suspect they will be, then the CAI will have a 30-40 deg. advantage over the HAI for the first minute or two after a short stop.

Speedtrip did a head to head dyno Hybrid vs CAI, I wish I coud see a head to head dyno with the stock manifold but until then I will use this one for refrence. The numbers where pretty much the same up to about 5700 RPM then the hybrid began to show a HP advantage of ~5-9. But if you don't have a MEVI your shift point is only a couple hundred RPMs past 5700. In the real world the CAIs temp advantage of 30-40 deg is worth about 6-8 HP over the numbers put down on the dyno .
Old 02-23-2003, 08:08 AM
Banned

son of a mother!!! bad coments your all saying i wasted my 218$ on a cai from place racing!!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 08:17 AM

I think all the cold-air intakes on ebay are like the place racing one unless you can shwo me differently.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:53 AM

Originally posted by spanishrice
I think all the cold-air intakes on ebay are like the place racing one unless you can shwo me differently.
Email I recieved from the seller of this CAI (with classic ebay grammer)
Re: Question for seller -- Item #2402297389

no cutting are require it's under the hood

----- Original Message -----
To: <xoxoparts@hotmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2003 3:44 PM
Subject: Question for seller -- Item #2402297389

> Who makes this intake? Does it require cutting a hole in the fender or is
it the under hood style?
>
> Thanks, Jim
> --------------------
>
>
> Question from: jimshep
> Title of item: 95 96-99 Nissan Maxima Cold Air Intake Kit
> Seller: xoxoparts
> Starts: Feb-02-03 17:40:36 PST
> Ends: Feb-07-03 17:40:36 PST
> Price: Starts at $49.99
> To view the item, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2402297389
>
>
>
> Visit eBay, The World's Online Marketplace TM at http://www.ebay.com
>
If you want the place racing syle I would email the seller before you buy to make sure that is what you are getting
Old 02-23-2003, 10:20 AM
The original VQ...

Im also still debating on witch intake to buy, for now i have a getto pop charger put on . I think the cold air intake is garbage , im thinking of getting the frankencar intake soon. And people say that hot air is bad but sense so much air is going in i dont think it matters, as for cold air the piping is to wavey and there is also the risk of taking in water.
Old 02-23-2003, 10:22 AM

does anyone have one of these injen style ebay intakes?
Old 02-23-2003, 11:12 AM
AssyrianRacer

ahah dumb freind

Cold Air Sux for anything after 30mph, too much pressure builds inside of the tubing, Franken car is the way 2 go, if not, make a homemade one, those freekers are loud, one of my freinds has it on his 5spd maxima,

Old 02-23-2003, 11:14 AM
The original VQ...

I got one of those getto one , got the braket from ebayand the flter from advanced auto , total cost ended up like 30$$ , its loud too , i like it
Old 02-23-2003, 04:49 PM

I heard that the Apexi Filter also adds like 4hp over the K&N, does anyone know about this gain? Thanks for all the replys, I seen ton of gains over the stock intake. My next mod is hopefully going to be the stillen or cattman ypipe. I need to slam the max. I cant get lucky enough to race some peeps to show em whats up. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2003, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by DUNKEE
I heard that the Apexi Filter also adds like 4hp over the K&N, does anyone know about this gain? Thanks for all the replys, I seen ton of gains over the stock intake. My next mod is hopefully going to be the stillen or cattman ypipe. I need to slam the max. I cant get lucky enough to race some peeps to show em whats up. Thanks again.
yes i heard that also, i have an apexi filter, going to put it on my frankencar midpipe soon, hope i get the extra horses