4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 05:02 PM

strange noise

hey guys,
On my 99 SE-L, on two seperate ocaasions tonight as I put the car into reverse, the transmission made a weird type of sound, very simmilar to the sound a ping pong ball makes when it hits the table. It scared the !@it outa me. Also, it seems like 1st gear is worthless. its as if the motor goes and I feel more vibration ( a humming type of vibration for a lack of a better descriptive word) than I should in the pedal, and the car comes alive when second kicks in. Very strange. I am going to take it to the dealer soon, but the probelm is, the sound does not come at every time I shift from park to reverse. I sat there shifting between park, reverse and drive a few seconds and could not make the noise come again. What should I tell the service department at the dealer to look at? What do you think it might be? I am covered under warranty so I'm not worried, just upset. Also, does anybody notice that their shift into second is a little hard? or is it just mine indicating a potential problem. Why me?
Old 02-22-2003, 07:47 PM

Re: strange noise

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
hey guys,
On my 99 SE-L, on two seperate ocaasions tonight as I put the car into reverse, the transmission made a weird type of sound, very simmilar to the sound a ping pong ball makes when it hits the table. It scared the !@it outa me. Also, it seems like 1st gear is worthless. its as if the motor goes and I feel more vibration ( a humming type of vibration for a lack of a better descriptive word) than I should in the pedal, and the car comes alive when second kicks in. Very strange. I am going to take it to the dealer soon, but the probelm is, the sound does not come at every time I shift from park to reverse. I sat there shifting between park, reverse and drive a few seconds and could not make the noise come again. What should I tell the service department at the dealer to look at? What do you think it might be? I am covered under warranty so I'm not worried, just upset. Also, does anybody notice that their shift into second is a little hard? or is it just mine indicating a potential problem. Why me?

Maybe a bad torque convereter?