4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Buying some mods soon got a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 08:24 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buying some mods soon got a few questions.

What's up all? How's it going? I'm going to be buying a couple of mods soon, my first couple of MODS . First I'm going to get clear corners for the front, then I'm going to buy a Y Pipe, Cat back exhaust, and Intake. That'll be pretty much it for now so where can I get the parts for a good price. Btw, I want good quality products. For e.g. would a Weapon-R, or Injen intake be pretty good what about a CAI? I would prefer a OBX, or Greddy Catback. And what kind of Y pipe? I live in CENTRAL , NJ so I would obviously need to get this intalled unless some of you are willing to help me ! So you guys know of any good shops, whats the average installation cost? Thanks! I appreciate it. Take care all.
Old 02-26-2003, 08:43 AM

go to www.custommaxima.com for the clear corners. You can install these yourself, really easy. ~$50 shipped.

Budget Exhaust for the y-pipe. I've heard they have all their problems of "beez in the can" sound fixed. $160 USD shipped

I got a Place Racing CAI from Custom Maxima it was about $220 shipped. Pretty pricey. Injen also makes them and so does Warpspeed.

Don't know about the catbacks.

Also, think about getting a Front Strut Tower Bar and a Rear Anti-Sway bar.
Old 02-26-2003, 10:39 AM

Re: Buying some mods soon got a few questions.

Originally posted by HarrisH
What's up all? How's it going? I'm going to be buying a couple of mods soon, my first couple of MODS . First I'm going to get clear corners for the front, then I'm going to buy a Y Pipe, Cat back exhaust, and Intake. That'll be pretty much it for now so where can I get the parts for a good price. Btw, I want good quality products. For e.g. would a Weapon-R, or Injen intake be pretty good what about a CAI? I would prefer a OBX, or Greddy Catback. And what kind of Y pipe? I live in CENTRAL , NJ so I would obviously need to get this intalled unless some of you are willing to help me ! So you guys know of any good shops, whats the average installation cost? Thanks! I appreciate it. Take care all.
There is a Group Deal for the Greddy right now for 500 shipped. I would jump on this in a heartbeat if I were you.

As for intake, either frankencar or Injen, depending on how $$ you want to spend.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:49 AM
Boosted Panda

go with budgets y, its cheap and performs great. The cat back depends on how loud you want. greddy is pretty loud. Apexi is what i have, nice and low rumble.obx has a catback wich i hear is fairly cheap but i do not know of its quality or sound. go with a cai. Use injen if you do not wish to cut a hole in your fenderwell.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by FLAVOR247
go with budgets y, its cheap and performs great. The cat back depends on how loud you want. greddy is pretty loud. Apexi is what i have, nice and low rumble.obx has a catback wich i hear is fairly cheap but i do not know of its quality or sound. go with a cai. Use injen if you do not wish to cut a hole in your fenderwell.
I really didn't hear the Apex'i that much(when I had it)... it is louder than stock, but not really.

I have also heard a greddy sp on a 96, I didn't think it was THAT much louder..
Old 02-26-2003, 03:17 PM

greddy isn't that much louder than stock, especially when at WOT..you can hardly hear it. all you're gonna get is a low, monotonous rumble at about 2500 rpm, but it is quality. the cai is going to produce most of the noticable growls.
Old 02-26-2003, 03:22 PM

I think greddys sound nice IMO, here's the video of it on a max:
97 Maxima Greddy SP Exhaust
Old 02-26-2003, 03:34 PM

Where can I get the budget y pipe, everything else I saw on custommaxima for a good price. You guys know of any good shops which would install all this for me for a good price, along with quality around the Central NJ, tri state NYC area?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:57 PM

www.budgetexhaust.com

Also you can get the clear corners on eBay for about $20. Custommaxima.com carrys a nice variety of products but tends to pretty pricey. You can get everything installed at Maximum Tuning (Jeff) on Long Island. He does TOP QUALITY work at good prices.
Good luck,
Dan
Old 02-26-2003, 06:37 PM

Really? I thought CustomMaxima had good prices. They got the Stillen Cat Back Exhaust for 515, and the PR CAI for 200, you guys know better places online for the stuff. Also if I get a cat back exhaust can I still use a benefit from a y pipe, b pipe, and straight pipe? What does the catback exhaust replace, I mean what components, are the y b and straight pipe different components? Thanks, can you give me a rough estimate of what Jeff might charge?
Old 02-26-2003, 06:45 PM

i'm from central jersey too. what a COINCEDENCE.
y pipe collects exhaust gas to the cat. i had mine installed for a good price and i can refer you somewhere. budget is located up just across the border in ontario. warpspeed seems to be the Y pipe of choice for many of us.

i can install your clear corners for a small price
as well as a body kit, or short intake, or taking off rear badges nice and clean. i can do red/clear tail lights for you, and quick muffler installation if you dont get a catback.
Old 02-26-2003, 09:18 PM

You can install your corners in a second easy job. It will take you like max 10 minutes.
Old 02-26-2003, 11:30 PM

For almost ne thing you want u can get it at www.southwestautoworks.com. Many people buy from there, they are reliable and sell things that work. I have had 2 4th gens both with injen cai and I luved em both. Budget y is a good idea and exhaust should be ur preference by how much sound u want and the look. Stillen is expenzive but ull get your moneys worth.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:24 AM

Originally posted by slammed'99
For almost ne thing you want u can get it at www.southwestautoworks.com. Many people buy from there, they are reliable and sell things that work.
Yeah, thats what I thought too, until they shipped out like 20 Addco RSB's without mounting parts. I know its Addco's fault, but still we should get some answeres. He hasnt replied in over a week.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:25 AM

So I can get a catback exhaust, y pipe, b pipe, and straight pipe, with a cat. converter and benefit from all? Thanks... Sil SE I'll IM you on AIM.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:36 AM

So I can get a catback exhaust, y pipe, b pipe, and straight pipe, with a cat. converter and benefit from all? Thanks... Sil SE I'll IM you on AIM.
Catback exhaust includes a different B pipe already

Don't buy a 2nd one.....

Also, keep your cat, or get a RT Cat or Carsound. It doesn't do THAT much difference, plus you'll be saving some ozone for my kids (one day)
Old 02-27-2003, 01:24 PM

Ok so what does the GReddy cat back or Stillen(they make one right) come with? So I can still get the Y pipe and benefit from both the catback and y pipe. You guys said not to get the b pipe since the catback has one, ok no prob. What about a straight pipe? I need a new cat. converter anyways might as well go aftermarket.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:42 PM

BUMP

any one else know?
Old 02-27-2003, 09:14 PM
Boosted Panda

BUMP

any one else know?
Okay, you should really do a search on these items to fully understand them. Its pretty simple though. With a catback you do not need any other exhaust part after the cat. converter. It will have the b, mid and muffler. Depending on what year max you have will conclude on wether you would want a test(straight ) pipe. 95-96 have o2 sensor that plugs into the cat.With a straight pipe, depending on were you get it . They normally do not have an outlet for the o2 sensor, wich may trigger a CEL. Get a highflow cat,the gain is about the same if not equal;or just keep your stock cat. With a cai, y, and catback your car will definatly perform better. Top it off with a udp.
Old 02-28-2003, 05:52 AM

Originally posted by FLAVOR247

Okay, you should really do a search on these items to fully understand them. Its pretty simple though. With a catback you do not need any other exhaust part after the cat. converter. It will have the b, mid and muffler. Depending on what year max you have will conclude on wether you would want a test(straight ) pipe. 95-96 have o2 sensor that plugs into the cat.With a straight pipe, depending on were you get it . They normally do not have an outlet for the o2 sensor, wich may trigger a CEL. Get a highflow cat,the gain is about the same if not equal;or just keep your stock cat. With a cai, y, and catback your car will definatly perform better. Top it off with a udp.
AMEN!