4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

How to replace Window lift Motor??

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 05:30 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

How to replace Window lift Motor??

I have a 1996 Maxima; the driver side front window is going up/down very slowly while all other windows perform normally. It seems to me the window lift motor must be going out. What do you guys think? If you concurr that the window lift motor needs to be replaced please give me instructions or point me to the info needed to change it out (hopefully it's not a huge under-taking) . thanks for all your help in advance.
Old 02-26-2003, 05:52 PM

Most likely you need to lube the window track with some sillicone lube.
Just take of the door panel and lube everywhere you see the window having friction
Old 02-26-2003, 05:55 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Re: How to replace Window lift Motor??

Originally posted by fflan513
I have a 1996 Maxima; the driver side front window is going up/down very slowly while all other windows perform normally. It seems to me the window lift motor must be going out. What do you guys think? If you concurr that the window lift motor needs to be replaced please give me instructions or point me to the info needed to change it out (hopefully it's not a huge under-taking) . thanks for all your help in advance.
Yeah the same sorta thing happened to me not too long ago. Only my problem was the regulator. You will have to pull your door panels off to get to the motor, which is a very time consuming and difficult task. At least it was for me. After you do this, just below your window will be the motor. All I can say about taking the panels off is, there is a screw that needs to come out in the little handle spot.. its covered by a little cap. All you can really do is take your time and pry the door off slowly. I used a flathead screwdriver and it worked fine, it just too a long time.

Old 02-26-2003, 05:55 PM

Thanks, that would definitely cheaper; I'll try that first. Is taking that door panel off a big pain?
Old 02-26-2003, 05:59 PM

Re: Re: How to replace Window lift Motor??

Is there an easy way to decide if it is the motor or the regulator that needs repacing? If it's the motor would it be all or nothing? It's been going slowly for several months now. I'm going to try lubing it all up first but still would like to know how to tell the difference between a motor or regulator that is out.
Thanks for your quick responses.
Originally posted by Maxima95Tuner

Yeah the same sorta thing happened to me not too long ago. Only my problem was the regulator. You will have to pull your door panels off to get to the motor, which is a very time consuming and difficult task. At least it was for me. After you do this, just below your window will be the motor. All I can say about taking the panels off is, there is a screw that needs to come out in the little handle spot.. its covered by a little cap. All you can really do is take your time and pry the door off slowly. I used a flathead screwdriver and it worked fine, it just too a long time.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:06 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Re: Re: Re: How to replace Window lift Motor??

Is there an easy way to decide if it is the motor or the regulator that needs repacing? If it's the motor would it be all or nothing? It's been going slowly for several months now. I'm going to try lubing it all up first but still would like to know how to tell the difference between a motor or regulator that is out.
Thanks for your quick responses.
If it's the regulator, the window will feel like it isnt connected to anything... like it's just sitting there, both when it's up, and when it's down. I would definately try lubing it up first though, because that could be a problem too.

Old 02-26-2003, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: How to replace Window lift Motor??

I'll lube it up real good tomorrow if the weather is ok and post back results.

If it's the regulator, the window will feel like it isnt connected to anything... like it's just sitting there, both when it's up, and when it's down. I would definately try lubing it up first though, because that could be a problem too.
Old 02-26-2003, 06:37 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How to replace Window lift Motor??

I'll lube it up real good tomorrow if the weather is ok and post back results.

Good deal, keep us posted.

Old 02-26-2003, 07:22 PM

What type silicon lube would you recommend? Something like a thick gel or something like WD-40 spray lube?

Originally posted by Kashoggio
Most likely you need to lube the window track with some sillicone lube.
Just take of the door panel and lube everywhere you see the window having friction
Old 02-26-2003, 08:38 PM

Just FYI

Here is a good procedure for removing the door panel:
http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMaxFSpk01.htm
Old 02-26-2003, 08:46 PM

Re: Just FYI

Excellent photos, thx so much t5his will be very helpful. I love this forum, you guys are the best.
Originally posted by Ravq
Here is a good procedure for removing the door panel:
http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMaxFSpk01.htm
Old 02-26-2003, 08:49 PM

What type silicon lube would you recommend? Something like a thick gel or something like WD-40 spray lube?

Get a dry silicone spray (usually looks like a powdery white substance when applied). WD-40 won't work well and will leave a mess.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:28 AM

window moving well now, thx

Well I took the door panel off and lubricated every area I could reach that the window track up/down on and it's moving up/down faster now. I'm sure glad I didn't take it to the Dealer and let them charge me a king's ransom to replace the lift motor. By the way I lubed it with "White Grease", seems to be really good stuff for this type application. Thanks for all your help guys.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:09 AM

Speaking of windows, my 2 REAR windows go down but they won't come up.

the buttons on the door and in the drivers door make the rear 2 windows go down but not up. When I press up on these buttons, I can HEAR the motors work on each side but they just won't move up. What do you guys think it is? I have to ghetto rig it so no one can just push the windows down =(
Old 02-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Maxima95Tuner

Originally posted by PhaZe
Speaking of windows, my 2 REAR windows go down but they won't come up.

the buttons on the door and in the drivers door make the rear 2 windows go down but not up. When I press up on these buttons, I can HEAR the motors work on each side but they just won't move up. What do you guys think it is? I have to ghetto rig it so no one can just push the windows down =(
Take your door panels off and check your regulators... 90 percent chance that's what it is

Old 02-27-2003, 11:20 AM

I was told that if the regulator is bad the window will feel loose. The lube job got it moving good now anyway. thx.

Take your door panels off and check your regulators... 90 percent chance that's what it is
Old 02-27-2003, 02:38 PM

What is the regulator?

excuse my noobness

=(
Old 02-27-2003, 02:48 PM
Maxima95Tuner

Originally posted by PhaZe
What is the regulator?

excuse my noobness

=(

The regulator is what connect the motor and the glass together. Like fflan513 said, if the regulator is the problem, the window will feel loose inside the slot. When it goes down, try grabbing it and pulling it up, or just moving it.

Also, fflan513, when I mentioned the regulator, I was talking about PhaZe's problem.