4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Warming up a transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2003, 06:23 AM

Warming up a transmission

Hey guys,
I got the car back from the dealer yesterday with the new engine mounts. So far so good- Nice and smooth, as soon as I got into the car and drove of, the shift from first was no longer as jerky. Teh noise from park to reverse when i back out of my garage was gone too. Now, I know, as per the search function, that on cold monrings the auto tranny is not exactly smooth shifting, esp. from first to second. Now, I dorve to my girlfriends house this morning, whcih is where I park my car due to its close proximity to the train station i take to get to work, and the tranny gave me the jerky shifting from 1-2 again. Now, the engine temp had reached its normal operating temp, ( a hair under halfway on the gauge. Does this mean that the transmission is warmed up too? Should I asume that the tranny warms up as fast as the engine? This is my first max so I still learning their personalities. BTW the trip to my girlfriends house is about 8 minutes- is this long enough for the tranny to warm up to normal operation? I think the engine temp has nothing to do with the tranny temp. I am correct? Thanks everyone.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:32 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Warming up a transmission

The temperature gauge in the instrument panel is the water/coolant temperature. The auto tranny fluid does run through the radiator so it will give you an idea of if the tranny is warm. Have you changed your transmission fluid? What year is your car and how many miles? 8 minutes may not be enough for the tranny to warm up if you live in an area that is very cold.

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan
Hey guys,
I got the car back from the dealer yesterday with the new engine mounts. So far so good- Nice and smooth, as soon as I got into the car and drove of, the shift from first was no longer as jerky. Teh noise from park to reverse when i back out of my garage was gone too. Now, I know, as per the search function, that on cold monrings the auto tranny is not exactly smooth shifting, esp. from first to second. Now, I dorve to my girlfriends house this morning, whcih is where I park my car due to its close proximity to the train station i take to get to work, and the tranny gave me the jerky shifting from 1-2 again. Now, the engine temp had reached its normal operating temp, ( a hair under halfway on the gauge. Does this mean that the transmission is warmed up too? Should I asume that the tranny warms up as fast as the engine? This is my first max so I still learning their personalities. BTW the trip to my girlfriends house is about 8 minutes- is this long enough for the tranny to warm up to normal operation? I think the engine temp has nothing to do with the tranny temp. I am correct? Thanks everyone.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:36 AM

Re: Re: Warming up a transmission

Originally posted by ZuMBLe
The temperature gauge in the instrument panel is the water/coolant temperature. The auto tranny fluid does run through the radiator so it will give you an idea of if the tranny is warm. Have you changed your transmission fluid? What year is your car and how many miles? 8 minutes may not be enough for the tranny to warm up if you live in an area that is very cold.

My car is a 99 SE-L with 36k on it. I have never changed the fluid. is it advisable? How much does that cost to have done? I can take it to Like a Stauss Auto for them to do right?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: Warming up a transmission

You should change your auto tranny fluid every 15k miles. Your manual will also show a proceedure to check the tranny fluid levels. You should perform that first.

I would recommend you take the car to a dealer for a tranny flush. They use a special machine that sucks all the old fluid out and replaces it with new fluid. Shops that don't have this machine can't remove all the fluid. The flush will run you around 100 dollars. There are other options for the DIYer. Use the search function and type in "automatic flush" or something of the sort. I'm sure you will find something.

Originally posted by FormorAccordMan

My car is a 99 SE-L with 36k on it. I have never changed the fluid. is it advisable? How much does that cost to have done? I can take it to Like a Stauss Auto for them to do right?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:39 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

On cold mornings my tranny takes a good 5 miles of driving before it's up to operating temp. Thats when the TC locks up. Thats also regardless of idle warm ups in the driveway. Your tranny doesn't really warm up very fast when your car is idling.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
On cold mornings my tranny takes a good 5 miles of driving before it's up to operating temp. Thats when the TC locks up. Thats also regardless of idle warm ups in the driveway. Your tranny doesn't really warm up very fast when your car is idling.
if you let the car idle in N, you get the driveshaft spinning....
Old 02-27-2003, 12:19 PM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Lime
if you let the car idle in N, you get the driveshaft spinning....
Umm no. Drive shafts or Axels on our cars (we have 2) spin when the wheels spin.

Park = tranny not in gear park pin in place to stop the car from rolling.

Neutral = tranny not in gear.

Park/Neutral - No load on engine or tranny.
No load = little to no heat generated.
Old 02-27-2003, 02:21 PM
rcy

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
I've always wondered....why doesn't the torque converter lock up until the tranny is warmed up?
Old 02-27-2003, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by rcy

I've always wondered....why doesn't the torque converter lock up until the tranny is warmed up?

The fluid probably has to be warm enough to engage the TC coupling to prevent damage. I'm assuming that transmission oil is multiweight just like engine oil (probably not as wide a range though). That's just a shot in the dark, but who knows, it might be true.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:41 PM

Originally posted by Eric L.

I'm assuming that transmission oil is multiweight just like engine oil (probably not as wide a range though).
From what I've heard (but can't prove) a good synthetic ATF will flow similar to how a 0W-20 motor oil would. Haven't seen any numbers on dino ATF kicking around.