4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

steering wheel is pulled to the left

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

steering wheel is pulled to the left

When driving straight, the steering wheel suppose to be centered right? Well, mine isn't. It is pulled to the left slightly. When I try to center the steering wheel, the car would pull to the right. I thought this was because I just put on new springs and struts, that I needed an alignment. I just got the alignment two days ago. The problem is still there. My steering wheel is still off center when driving straight. Any ideas?
Old 03-05-2003, 12:50 PM

This happened to me after I had the tranny removed to replace a throwout bearing, they must have broken the tie-rod connection to remove the tranny... I fixed it by adjusting the Tie rod arms equal amounts on each side, in the proper direction. For example, if your steering wheel is turned slightly left when the car is going straight, you need to adjust the tie rods to pull each wheel to the left. You would shorten the driver's side tie rod, and lengthen the passenger side BY AN EQUAL AMOUNT. Be careful to turn each adjuster an equal amount, otherwise your toe will be messed up. I kept doing this will small adjustments (1/2 turn at a time each side) until my steering wheel was centered with the car going straight. Or you could pay for an alignment if this scares you....
Old 03-05-2003, 12:59 PM

Re: steering wheel is pulled to the left

Originally posted by Cumalot
When driving straight, the steering wheel suppose to be centered right? Well, mine isn't. It is pulled to the left slightly. When I try to center the steering wheel, the car would pull to the right. I thought this was because I just put on new springs and struts, that I needed an alignment. I just got the alignment two days ago. The problem is still there. My steering wheel is still off center when driving straight. Any ideas?
Check to see if your left brakes are hanging otherwise there could be something out of whack with your left spring/strut install.
Old 03-05-2003, 01:11 PM

Part of a complete alignment job is to center the steering wheel as well. If your car is tracking straight when you are driving and let go off the steering wheel, all it is that the steering wheel itself has to be centered. Take it back to where you got the alignment done and they should adjust it without any extra charge. (It's just a matter of taking off the nut that holds the steering wheel to the Shaft and centering it).

A local Nissan dealer made the same mistake on my car a while back.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:36 PM

Hm...could it really be just the steering wheel? When I let go of the steering wheel, it didn't pull to the left or right.
Old 03-05-2003, 11:47 PM

the allignment guys didnt center the steering wheel when they were adjusting the toe angles. Even if the car tracks straight, the wheel will be off because that was the position the wheel was in while the allignment was being done which is a typical technicians' mistake
Old 03-06-2003, 12:26 AM

Originally posted by Nismo
the allignment guys didnt center the steering wheel when they were adjusting the toe angles. Even if the car tracks straight, the wheel will be off because that was the position the wheel was in while the allignment was being done which is a typical technicians' mistake
Easy mistake to make, take it back, they'll hook you up.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:36 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by Cumalot
Hm...could it really be just the steering wheel? When I let go of the steering wheel, it didn't pull to the left or right.
You need a 4 wheel thrust angle alignment. Don't play with the tie rod ends yourself, you will never get the toe correct. Have the car tracked correctly by a qualified alignment shop. It only costs about 50 bucks.
Old 03-06-2003, 05:50 AM

I'm going to bring it back to Sears(place where I got the alignment)to have them take a look. They shouldn't charge me anything to correct this right since they didn't do it right the first time?