4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Uninsured motorist hit my vehicle, what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 08:38 PM

Uninsured motorist hit my vehicle, what should I do?

So I'm traveling a few days ago in my 99 I30t, when this eclipse decides to turn left in front of me, hits my front passenger side, flattens my tire, screws up my hood, fender etc. So the police show up, and ask for license, insurance, and registration. First words out of her mouth are I don't have insurance. So what should/could I do to recoup my losses with respect to my deductible, and my vehicle. She was shown to be at fault, and was cited for failure to yield, and no insurance. Now she won't return my phone calls, and I wonder what's to stop her from filing for bankruptcy if I sue her for my damages. What should be my recourse? Please help.

Brent
Old 03-06-2003, 08:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can you not call your insurance agent? They should cover it and then go after the person at fault.
Old 03-06-2003, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by WaarrEagle
Can you not call your insurance agent? They should cover it and then go after the person at fault.
I guess I should have made myself more clear. My insurance is covering the costs to fix my car (3,600), but I am still out my deductible, ($250), and the cost of my rental car, which I didn't have insurance for. By the time I get my car back from the shop, I will probably owe approx. $500, to cover my rental car, and my deductible.

Brent
Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Moderator running more PSI than all the boosted Maximas... combined

There is nothing you can do. Don't you just hate when people do not follow the rules. If she was rich, she would've insurance. Obviously she was poor and she couldn't pay you what she didn't have. You could sue but you are just wasting your money on lawyers. Only recourse you have is to get the state to file a criminal lawsuit against her. She will just do a little time. Maybe...10 days.

Originally posted by blbrizzi

I guess I should have made myself more clear. My insurance is covering the costs to fix my car (3,600), but I am still out my deductible, ($250), and the cost of my rental car, which I didn't have insurance for. By the time I get my car back from the shop, I will probably owe approx. $500, to cover my rental car, and my deductible.

Brent
Old 03-06-2003, 09:42 PM

my pops went through the same thing 5-6 years ago. he was rear ended by a jerk with no insurance. i think my dads deductible was similar to yours, im not sure, and he needed a rental for 8 days. He had to go to court to take legal actions to have the person at fault compensate him for it. the lawyer is a friend of my dad so i dont know if he had to pay legal fees or the other person had too. i hope i never get into a situation like this cause i remember it beeing stressful on my parents. try talking to someone on taking leagal actions. if there is one thing i hate, its a person driving with no insurance, or mabey a person talking on a phone while driving. well anyway good luck with everything, i hope everything works out to your advantage
Old 03-07-2003, 05:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

whose car was the girl drving??
Old 03-07-2003, 07:05 AM

For future coverage, you should see if your insurance company offers coverage for a rental car while your own car is in the bodyshop. I pay another $20/yr. for that coverage through my company. They cover the costs for a rental car for <= 21-days (or max. of ~$750).
Old 03-07-2003, 07:25 AM

Brent
You also have to consider your state laws. Michigan, for instance, where I grew up, is a no fault state. This has bitten me in the *** several times. The person who causes the accident can get a ticket from the cops, but as far as insurance, everyone is on their own. It blows.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally posted by Socrates

You also have to consider your state laws. Michigan, for instance, where I grew up, is a no fault state. This has bitten me in the *** several times. The person who causes the accident can get a ticket from the cops, but as far as insurance, everyone is on their own. It blows.
I was informed about "no-fault" insurance as it stands in NJ not too long ago. The "no-fault" part only applies for medical care needed as a result from the accident. Your insurance company then determines fault and that person's insurance ends up paying. It took about 3 hours on the phone trying to work things out with insurance companies before I found all this out. "no-fault" insurance isn't what it implies it is. Not only that, but most people, even the insurance companies barely have a grasp on the concept and almost no one could answer my questions.

As for what should be done, have the state/county/town/whatever file criminal charges. She will lose. Then you will be able to use the criminal charges against her for a pretty easy lawsuit which could allow you to put a lein on her vehicle for the lawsuit amount (which can be more than the accident actually cost you, you can always embellish costs, like time off work, etc.). This means that if she tries to sell it, she has to get your approval first. And to get your aproval, she has to pay you. At the very least, you can make her life hell for making oyur life hell.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by MacGyver265

I was informed about "no-fault" insurance as it stands in NJ not too long ago. The "no-fault" part only applies for medical care needed as a result from the accident. Your insurance company then determines fault and that person's insurance ends up paying. It took about 3 hours on the phone trying to work things out with insurance companies before I found all this out. "no-fault" insurance isn't what it implies it is. Not only that, but most people, even the insurance companies barely have a grasp on the concept and almost no one could answer my questions.

As for what should be done, have the state/county/town/whatever file criminal charges. She will lose. Then you will be able to use the criminal charges against her for a pretty easy lawsuit which could allow you to put a lein on her vehicle for the lawsuit amount (which can be more than the accident actually cost you, you can always embellish costs, like time off work, etc.). This means that if she tries to sell it, she has to get your approval first. And to get your aproval, she has to pay you. At the very least, you can make her life hell for making oyur life hell.

Before he goes about all this hell making of this poor girl's life, I think we might want to find a few things out. Like first of all, if she is, how shall we say... hot. Second, maybe, if she doesn’t want to pay you the stupid five hundred bucks, you can work out some other sort of deal.. Just a thought.

It’s a fact of life though, people ****-up. Accidents happen.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:34 AM

Before he goes about all this hell making of this poor girl's life, I think we might want to find a few things out. Like first of all, if she is, how shall we say... hot. Second, maybe, if she doesn’t want to pay you the stupid five hundred bucks, you can work out some other sort of deal.. Just a thought.

It’s a fact of life though, people ****-up. Accidents happen.
What the hell difference does it make if she's hot or not? That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time. "Hey if you give me a BJ, I'll forget about the whole thing". Hah! Yeah right! Hot or not, that's just stupid.

Poor girl my bunghole. that's what you get for driving without insurance.

If she'd pay the $500+ then there shouldn't be much of a problem, but he can't even get her to return phone calls. I'd call one more time and state that if they can't work this out privately, then next time she hears from it, it will be via his lawyer. This usually scares people into at least making contact. This can also be settled out of court with the threat of a lawsuit. Most lawsuits are settled. The fact she doesn't have insurance implies she doesn't have much money, this is where the lein comes into play. She can also pay in some sort of arranged agreement ($X/month or something).

Don't take anything but $$ from this girl. If you are stupid enough to drive without insurance, and even stupider to drive like an idiot, you deserve to have hell unleashed on your dumb@$$. I've been sued before, and almost the same amount for a car accident, its not that bad. I just took a certain amount out of each paycheck and after a few months it was done. She can probably afford to stop doing something she's spending money on that she doesn't really need anyway.

Accidents happen, sure, I'll give you that. But if its not my fault, you can bet your @$$ I'm not paying for it, the person who's responsible will be. People ****-up, and then they pay. That's life.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:51 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

What the hell difference does it make if she's hot or not? That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time. "Hey if you give me a BJ, I'll forget about the whole thing". Hah! Yeah right! Hot or not, that's just stupid.

If she'd pay the $500+ then there shouldn't be much of a problem, but he can't even get her to return phone calls. I'd call one more time and state that if they can't work this out privately, then next time she hears from it, it will be via his lawyer. This usually scares people into at least making contact. This can also be settled out of court with the threat of a lawsuit. Most lawsuits are settled. The fact she doesn't have insurance implies she doesn't have much money, this is where the lein comes into play. She can also pay in some sort of arranged agreement ($X/month or something).

Don't take anything but $$ from this girl. If you are stupid enough to drive without insurance, and even stupider to drive like an idiot, you deserve to have hell unleashed on your dumb@$$. I've been sued before, and almost the same amount for a car accident, its not that bad. I just took a certain amount out of each paycheck and after a few months it was done. She can probably afford to stop doing something she's spending money on that she doesn't really need anyway.

Accidents happen, sure, I'll give you that. But if its not my fault, you can bet your @$$ I'm not paying for it, the person who's responsible will be. People ****-up, and then they pay. That's life.

A friend of mine had just finished working on his blazer when this drunk chick with no insurance hit him head on, totalled the blazer. Everyone was alright, and while we were waiting for the cops, i was trying to calm her down. It turned out her Boyfriend was cheating on her or something, and she was trying to get to his house to catch him....whatever. Either way, i wound up getting her number, she wound up having one of her fake ***** popped ( They found out at the hospital), then me and 2 of my friends stole her system out of her car while we were waiting for the tow truck. Then we gave it to my friend who's blazer was destroyed. In the end, everyone was happy.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:51 AM

You must not get many ********
Old 03-07-2003, 09:57 AM

i'd rather have the durty bish suffer and give up the money
Old 03-07-2003, 10:05 AM

Seeing that I have a girlfriend, I probably get more than you do. Especially since it would be the man that doesn't get any that has to pay $500 for one.
Old 03-07-2003, 12:54 PM

I would cosult a lawyer or take her to small claims court...people like that need to be taught a lesson that u can't drive without insurance...
Old 03-07-2003, 07:26 PM

i agree try small claims court. you are intitled to that $$. i dont care if shes hotr or gives the best blow jobs in town. that ***** gotta PAY!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:20 PM

Originally posted by 99maxi
whose car was the girl drving??
It was her car according to the information sheet that we exchanged. She still will not return my phone calls, I think she's just hoping I will go away, which I'm not going to do anytime soon. I'm figuring that she will probably lose title to her vehicle to my insurance company if she doesn't pay them, after all they are out more money than I am. I will give updates to this situation as they happen.

Brent
Old 03-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Re: Uninsured motorist hit my vehicle, what should I do?

So I'm traveling a few days ago in my 99 I30t, when this eclipse decides to turn left in front of me, hits my front passenger side, flattens my tire, screws up my hood, fender etc. So the police show up, and ask for license, insurance, and registration. First words out of her mouth are I don't have insurance. So what should/could I do to recoup my losses with respect to my deductible, and my vehicle. She was shown to be at fault, and was cited for failure to yield, and no insurance. Now she won't return my phone calls, and I wonder what's to stop her from filing for bankruptcy if I sue her for my damages. What should be my recourse? Please help.

Brent
Try to sue him , go to doctor that special for suing. and tell him to right you some perceptions. and when you sue you could get what ever he has. and then pay for your car.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:36 PM

Re: Re: Uninsured motorist hit my vehicle, what should I do?

Originally posted by CystumMax

Try to sue him , go to doctor that special for suing. and tell him to right you some perceptions. and when you sue you could get what ever he has. and then pay for your car.
i dont think he has to do any shady business to get his money, i'm pretty sure if he speaks the truth he'll get what he deserves, but I have no problem with trying to get a little extra outta it