4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Polarg bulbs...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Polarg bulbs...

Hey people!

I have my clearance lights rewired to burn brighter and I replaced the stock bulbs with Polarg M14 or something, I can't remember the exact number.

Well, I was driving down the road the other night, and I can usually see into other people's cars with the clearance lights, and well I noticed that I couldn't anymore. I got home and was looking at the car and noticed that the bulb was blown.

Has anybody experienced a blown Polarg bulb before? These suckers are expensive, and I don't want to be shelling out 8 bucks a bulb every 6 months. Is there any sites that sell them for cheaper than custommax, or should I just forget it and revert the wiring back to stock?

Thanks for any input,
bluemaxdriver4
Old 03-10-2003, 01:09 PM

Re: Polarg bulbs...

Originally posted by bluemaxdriver4
Hey people!

I have my clearance lights rewired to burn brighter and I replaced the stock bulbs with Polarg M14 or something, I can't remember the exact number.

Well, I was driving down the road the other night, and I can usually see into other people's cars with the clearance lights, and well I noticed that I couldn't anymore. I got home and was looking at the car and noticed that the bulb was blown.

Has anybody experienced a blown Polarg bulb before? These suckers are expensive, and I don't want to be shelling out 8 bucks a bulb every 6 months. Is there any sites that sell them for cheaper than custommax, or should I just forget it and revert the wiring back to stock?

Thanks for any input,
bluemaxdriver4
Old 03-10-2003, 01:12 PM

Hey people!

Thanks for any input,
bluemaxdriver4
Running it double wattage all the time of course is going to decrease its lifespan. One of mine blew out after about a year of it running 2X watts. The cheapest I can find for these bulbs is custommaxima or look in ebay. The local shops around here sell them for $15> EACH!
Old 03-10-2003, 02:05 PM
V^___^V

Re: Re: Polarg bulbs...

Originally posted by DpG $h0rTeE

Running it double wattage all the time of course is going to decrease its lifespan. One of mine blew out after about a year of it running 2X watts. The cheapest I can find for these bulbs is custommaxima or look in ebay. The local shops around here sell them for $15> EACH!
not necessarily... check out www.racinglab.com for polargs, they sell the same price as custommaxima.com, also since i live around bay area in CA, i jus drove to the store and picked up some and avoid the shippin =)

btw, polargs are not bad... but check out raybrigs, they are made in japan... quality stuff~~ i was gonna get some polargs but the guy who works at racinglab told me raybrigs are brighter and last longer for same price... try it out if u want =)
Old 03-10-2003, 02:12 PM
Dev

Originally posted by DpG $h0rTeE

its not running twice the wattage...

the corner light has a dual filament bulb...when you rewire it, you are just using the other filament (27W) instead of 8W.
if you go back to the lower wattage filament, the bulb will still be of use with the 8W filament, since you only burned out one of the two filaments.

anyways, i have polargs on my car running 27W and they haven't burned out.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:59 AM

Are you making sure not to touch the glass when installing the bulbs. I've had my Polargs for almost 2 years and none of them have burnt out yet.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:44 PM

Does touching the glass really make a difference?

Thanks,
bluemaxdriver4
Old 03-11-2003, 03:49 PM

Thanks,
bluemaxdriver4
Definitely.
Old 03-11-2003, 03:50 PM
Well I should wrap this up before I start to ramble.

Thanks,
bluemaxdriver4

YOu dont want to touch the glass, that could actually cause the bulb to burn. the oil on your hand its not good for some bulbs. because they have xenon gas in them.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:17 PM
Dev

touching halogen bulbs like headlights or foglights would affect it.

194 and 1157 bulbs are ok to touch.
i touched mine...and they are going strong for about 8 months or so now.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:35 PM

Hey people!

Thanks for any input,
bluemaxdriver4
One of mine's burned out after about 4 months...it could be that it was touched though
Old 03-11-2003, 05:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: Polarg bulbs...

Originally posted by Dev

its not running twice the wattage...

the corner light has a dual filament bulb...when you rewire it, you are just using the other filament (27W) instead of 8W.
if you go back to the lower wattage filament, the bulb will still be of use with the 8W filament, since you only burned out one of the two filaments.

anyways, i have polargs on my car running 27W and they haven't burned out.
yea thats what i meant, i just worded it wrong. Running it at 27W all the time will give it a shorter lifespan that running it at 8w all the time because of the added heat. When I took out and inspected the bulbs, i noticed the glass looked a little charred/darker.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Mr99Maxima

One of mine's burned out after about 4 months...it could be that it was touched though
Or maybe you have the touch of death??

Old 03-16-2003, 09:32 AM

Re: Re: Re: Polarg bulbs...

Originally posted by HondaKiller718

Or maybe you have the touch of death??

Could be ;-)