4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Slotted or Crossdrilled??? Hawk Pads??? Opinions wanted...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 07:01 PM

Slotted or Crossdrilled??? Hawk Pads??? Opinions wanted...

...I am looking at replacing my rotors. On Ebay two sellers are selling two versions (and two different prices) of rotors. Raceconcepts has a complete set of four Bembo/EMC slotted and crossdrilled rotors for $205.00 - a pretty tolorable price. The only thing that is holding me back is (when we used to be able to search on the org) I read that crossdrilled rotors are not the best choice for performance braking. Now granted I am only a daily driver but I want the best when it comes to slowing my Max down from a roll. The other Ebay choice is Mopar.parts selling PowerSlot rotors. The description on his auction says crossdrilled rotors are structurally unsound and have less brake pad surface. Now for pricing... front set of two rotors is "buy it now" for $165.00!!! The rears, if I recall correct, are $193.00!!! I know (turn off the flames) I said I want the best... I am not going to upgrade to the big brake kit. I am looking for mighty maxima.org members opinions on "using (PowerSlot) slotted verses the (Bembo/EMC)slotted and crossdrilled rotors". I am especially intested to hear from those who have made the switch from OEM blank rotors to slotted or slotted/crossdrilled. Also chime in with opinions on Hawk brake pads. The PowerSlot seller is offering these pads. How do Hawks compare to Raybestos Quietstops? I had read good reviews on the Quietstops. Thanks and Brake Safely, Mark V.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:20 PM
Old Timer

First off, I have not switched rotors myself, so take any advice for what its worth, but I am also in this process. I have heard a few things as well.

As for Brembo rotors, I have heard that Brembo sells the blanks, and the different companies are responsible for the drilling or slotting. The Brembo / EMC rotors (I would assume) are as follows: Rotors manufactured as Brembo blanks, and EMC is the company responsible for drilling and slotting them. Powerslot I believe manufactures their own rotors as well as drilling and slotting them. The drilling and slotting design is (from what I hear) the most important factor when it comes to quality and performance.
As for the pads, I have no idea. I'm sure I wasn't any help, but it makes me feel better!

David