4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Holy Rip off? Thoughts please :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Holy Rip off? Thoughts please :(

So i went to the local nissan dealer today to get an estimate on just some normal maintenance ****. Work/prices as follows..

Fuel Filter = $18.00 for part - $20 for labor - 40mins.
Front and Rear Brake pads = $120.00 - $100 for labor - 2 hours.
Oil Change Synthetic - $24 for oil - $20 for labor - 30 mins.
ATF Flush/Change - $50 for fluid - $70 for labor - 1 hour
AND THE KICKER!!
NGK Plat Spark Plugs - $95 for all 6 plugs - $60 for labor - 1 hour!
Then they recommended a Coolant Flush and some Fuel system cleaning - for another $150!

Thats $727.00 BEFORE TAX!!

How much do you think all this would/should cost. Or how about Just all the parts/fluids alone. I can get the Oil and Tranny flushed for 90 dollars for both from a friends place. The rest he can't do though.
What really got me was when i was talking to this guy at the dealership. He asked what kind of car, I said 99 Maxima..his response was 4cylinder or 6?.....duh..then he asked me if it was a Rotory Engine or not...the **** is he smoken you ask? Not sure but I don't even want to go there for it now, price was the first kick but damn dude didn't even know what a maxima was or something. He tried to tell me they made a 4 cylinder Maxima in 99...sure they did. Interesting though he was talking about a NEW 4 cylinder maxima coming out this fall...along with a new V8 one...gah. Anyone want to drive up and do this **** with me?
Old 03-20-2003, 12:49 PM
NAS

thats why I do the work myself, the prices are pretty standard to me, but kinda high, for the labor charges, usually $40-50 bucks an hour, but you could easily do the fuel filter, oil, spark plugs, radiator flush, and brakes yourself if you have time.. thats what I would do... to save the $$$ I think you could get the parts cheaper from Autozone, plugs, fuel filter, and brakes should be cheaper than that
Old 03-20-2003, 02:43 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Holy Rip off? Thoughts please :(

Originally posted by Mmmaxx
So i went to the local nissan dealer today to get an estimate on just some normal maintenance ****. Work/prices as follows..

Fuel Filter = $18.00 for part - $20 for labor - 40mins. You do it: $12.00 at most for filter, time spent..... maybe one hour
Front and Rear Brake pads = $120.00 - $100 for labor - 2 hours. Pads: $52.00 front and back from Autozone
Oil Change Synthetic - $24 for oil - $20 for labor - 30 mins.Oil $15.00
AND THE KICKER!! ATF flush: had mine done on a machine for $70.00
NGK Plat Spark Plugs - $95 for all 6 plugs - $60 for labor - 1 hour!Plugs = Prices vary: I thyink I got mine for $54.00
Then they recommended a Coolant Flush and some Fuel system cleaning - for another $150! Coolant flush: do it your self, fuel system cleaning. Many companies have an additive, RedLIne etc.

How much do you think all this would/should cost. Or how about Just all the parts/fluids alone. I can get the Oil and Tranny flushed for 90 dollars for both from a friends place. The rest he can't do though.
What really got me was when i was talking to this guy at the dealership. He asked what kind of car, I said 99 Maxima..his response was 4cylinder or 6?.....duh..then he asked me if it was a Rotory Engine or not...the **** is he smoken you ask? Not sure but I don't even want to go there for it now, price was the first kick but damn dude didn't even know what a maxima was or something. He tried to tell me they made a 4 cylinder Maxima in 99...sure they did. Interesting though he was talking about a NEW 4 cylinder maxima coming out this fall...along with a new V8 one...gah. Anyone want to drive up and do this **** with me?
Old 03-20-2003, 03:09 PM

I would tell them to ......Talk to a mechanic there and tell him what needs to be done. Ask him if he does work on the side, and what would he charge. My mechanic, when I need him, will do everything you stated for less than $300, and come to my house to do it. He used to be a mechanic at Nissan, and now ownes his own business. Most mechanics like to do side jobs, and it won't hurt to ask. They also get a dealership discount on parts, so that helps a lot. Good luck
Old 03-20-2003, 03:19 PM

damn, you can do it all yourself!!! Saves you more then half your money! And if you can't do it yourself ask a friend for help or at least go to a trusted machanic
Old 03-20-2003, 03:28 PM

Find a good mechanic and get the stuff you can't do done and the rest diy
Old 03-20-2003, 03:41 PM

wow...ur a$$ must really hurt right now.

pick up a manual and DIY

and i bought NGK plugs for around $50
fuel filter from dealer was @$13

everything u listed is very easy to do urself
Old 03-20-2003, 04:16 PM

AND THE KICKER!!
Then they recommended a Coolant Flush and some Fuel system cleaning - for another $150!

Save your money and do it yourself. You'll feel much better afterward.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:18 PM

I bought my NGK platinum plugs from the dealer at about 63 dollars with tax. I put them in myself and that took a good 15-20 minutes and was extremely easy... That guy must have been messing with you if he asked if it was rotary and 4 or 6 cyl..that just doesnt seem right.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:39 PM

AND THE KICKER!!

I did all the same stuff and did the work myself... search around you can get better prices out there...

i got the fuel filter for like $9
(Autozone)

front breaks pads 56.23
rear pads 42.59
NGK plat plugs 56.23
(courtesyparts.com)

But check around prices get better the further away from the dealer you get

there are alot of web sites that give you instructions to do all the work your self

Ohhh and for the dude asking if it was a rotory engine or not.....slowly back away from the guy and leave a tire patch leaving the dealer!!!
Old 03-20-2003, 05:21 PM
T2CTeamShift

Man

Dealers are gay, most of there mechanics dont even know didly squat, Find a trusted Mechanic, your dad should know one, all dads do !
Dealers Deserve a

Old 03-20-2003, 05:23 PM
i SeE what you did therE

wow... no wonder dealers can sell new cars at cost!!
Old 03-20-2003, 06:39 PM

I don't know how mechanically savvy you are but you really should do most of the work yourself. It is really not that difficult at all. Plus you can trust yourself more than you can trust the technician at the dealership. Get the parts and the manual from some place like Autozone, take a few minutes to do some and DIY. If you run into problems offer it to the forum god (or search if you've got access to it) and you should get the answers that you need...

727 dollars? You are ripping yourself off.
Old 03-20-2003, 07:11 PM

Dealers are gay, most of there mechanics dont even know didly squat, Find a trusted Mechanic, your dad should know one, all dads do !
My dad lives in North Carolina and Im in Maine..if I was still living at home I would make it pay it heh.
wow... no wonder dealers can sell new cars at cost!!
Im not really sure what you ment by that hehe

Well either way, I ordered some NGk plats, some front and rear pads, some polish goo crap and im going to do do it when I put my rim on here in a month or so. Getting the Oil changed and tranny flush for 90 bux, from my friends shop this weekend. Im never going back to the Nissan dealership again....well maybe to drive the 350z demo car again, but thats it! I bought my maxima from a Saab dealership and the techs there knew like everything about the car..i'll let them fix it heh
Old 03-20-2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by MaximaPower
fuel filter from dealer was @$13

everything u listed is very easy to do urself
If you think changing a fuel filter yourself is easy, you must not have ABS.
Old 03-20-2003, 09:15 PM

are you sure you didn't go to a mazda dealer?
Old 03-20-2003, 09:16 PM

Originally posted by jargoone

i do not have ABS but it's not impossible to do urself even if u have ABS, ask others on this board. BTW, my bro's I30 has ABS
Old 03-20-2003, 09:38 PM

I did the spark plugs replacement by myself and I don't have any mechanics experience. I had a little problem but got it right. I paid $16 for the 6 NGK Platinum spark plugs so the $95 for all 6 plugs - $60 for labor is asking is WAY TOO HIGH!!
Old 03-21-2003, 12:27 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

Originally posted by Max-2-GTR
I did the spark plugs replacement by myself and I don't have any mechanics experience. I had a little problem but got it right. I paid $16 for the 6 NGK Platinum spark plugs so the $95 for all 6 plugs - $60 for labor is asking is WAY TOO HIGH!!
would you mind sharing where you were able to get all 6 plugs for $16? Or was that $16 a piece?
Old 03-21-2003, 03:04 AM

AND THE KICKER!!

Well the oil seems about right at a dealer. but i do it myself, as should you and save the twenty dollars. or you could buy the oil yourself and just have them change it.

brakes. I think i remember paying about ninty dollars for f/r pads but i did buy the best and i orderd them from nopi(which is a great site imo. you could probably have them put on in one hour with the right tools considering all goes well.

my advice to you is go to PEP BOYS.
Old 03-21-2003, 01:58 PM

Originally posted by fearthegecko

would you mind sharing where you were able to get all 6 plugs for $16? Or was that $16 a piece?
Sure but I live in Canada and we have a shop called Canadian Tires and that's where I found them, pretty cheap hun?
Old 03-21-2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by jargoone

Mine does not have abs but my friends 99GLE does and i did both fuel filters... if you take your time and remove the air intake it is not that difficult just a little juggling act to avoide breaking the ABS line. you may get a few scrapes.... thats what bandaids are for !!!

Everything was easy except the Knock Sensor (bloody hands) and i still cant get the o2 sensors out..
Old 03-21-2003, 10:56 PM

Sure but I live in Canada and we have a shop called Canadian Tires and that's where I found them, pretty cheap hun?
were they pre-gapped?
Old 03-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

were they pre-gapped?
**** for $16 a piece I want the Michilin man and the Goodyear baby to come out and install the damn things for me.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf

**** for $16 a piece I want the Michilin man and the Goodyear baby to come out and install the damn things for me.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:29 AM

Originally posted by MaxWolf

Maxwolf, It's not $16 a piece, it's $16 for the 6 spark plugs!

and fearthegecko, what do you mean by pre-gapped?
Old 03-23-2003, 11:37 AM

Maxwolf, It's not $16 a piece, it's $16 for the 6 spark plugs!

and fearthegecko, what do you mean by pre-gapped?

Unfortunately, canadian tire does not offer spark plugs on their site. It would be cool if they shipped to the US, tho.

By pre-gapped: Did you have to gap the plugs yourself, or was the gap set when you bought them?
Old 03-23-2003, 04:43 PM

Unfortunately, canadian tire does not offer spark plugs on their site. It would be cool if they shipped to the US, tho.

By pre-gapped: Did you have to gap the plugs yourself, or was the gap set when you bought them?
What does "gap" mean?
Old 03-24-2003, 10:10 AM

What does "gap" mean?
when you set the proper gap on the spark plugs. You did realize before putting them in that not all plugs get put right into the engine, right? that you had to set the gap to the specs that your car required and then put them in, right? I'm not trying to sound like a douchebag, but the fact that "gapping" and "pre-gapped" sound so foriegn to you, i didn't think you knew.
Old 03-24-2003, 01:18 PM
babydave

Dealers suck. Sears too. I was asked if I had a 4 or 6 cylinder Max when I went for a oil change there once. But a rotary? Which dealership is this?