4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Crash the Max!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2003, 02:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Crash the Max!!

hey fellow members
Today is a sad day for me. I've only been here for almost 2 months and I was a proud owner of a 1995 Maxima. I've only had this vehicle for 2 months also. Today, while driving, a blue minivan skipped his stop sign and I crashed right into his driver fender. I was only doing like about 15 mph but the roads were wet. When the minivan popped out of nowhere, I pushed the brake, but it was a little to late. The airbags deployed and smacked me right in my face. I was wearing my seatbelt (like I always do) but I have some horrible back pains. I damaged the front passenger side and it took out the head lights, clearance lights and turn signals. It don't look to bad but the airbag deployment makes it suck. The body shop says the insurance might consider it a totaled car. I hope it doesn't, but if it does, I will return back with another max.

i'll keep u posted guys.
Old 03-20-2003, 03:28 PM

sue the minivan driver. but other then that if they deployed then yes. it probally get totaled.
Old 03-20-2003, 04:03 PM

that sucks man, i feel your pain. i was in an accident recently and i only had my max for a single week! well i finally have it back now, but here is a pic of what my baby looked like:
http://images.cardomain.com/member_i...54_25_full.jpg

but yea, it sounds like it was definetly the minivans fault, so definetly sue the guy, especialy seing you have bad back pain. i was involved in a really bad accident a year ago (not my car! ) and my back was a mess. i missed over 2 months of work. so i got a lawyer and a few months ago it was setteled and i got 14 grand for it. granted after medical bills, and lawyers fee's i only got $7,700 and a bad back for life. so yea, sue him... back problems never go away...

Chris
Old 03-20-2003, 06:55 PM

Air bag deployment with a 95 Max? Don't know the mileage but I think it's toast. First off you've got back pains. I hope you went to the hospital because you need to get all of that medical paperwork together documenting whatever minor or major injury you sustained from this accident. So if you haven't been to the hospital yet because you did the John Wayne thing and walked away from the accident, you need to walk yourself to the emergency room. I think you also need to work on getting a competent lawyer who is experienced with traffic cases and take the van driver to court...

..of course this is only my .02 and what I would do if I were you.
Old 03-21-2003, 08:46 AM

Thanks guys for the support. I'm gonna sue the guy, and today I just woke up with worst pains. I saw a private doctor yesterday and he recorded everything that was wrong with me. I didn't go in the ambulance because they charge an arm and a leg, and insurance doesn't pay for that.

Today I go see the lawyer, and I think yeah, they're gonna total the car. I have 124k on it and the body shop was saying that it's gonna be difficult for them to get the insurance to fix it. argh, Only 2 months man.

I took some pictures, I'll post them shortly....
Old 03-21-2003, 08:54 AM

as long as everyone is ok, it could have been much worse. cars are just things, they can be fixed and replaced. you cant.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:05 AM

Update!

Well, it's been almost a month since the accident. Yep, my Maxima got totaled, but now hear this, the insurance company wants to pay me only 80% of what the car is worth. Supposely there is a Law in NY saying that I could've avoided the accident. WTF? How? This dude just popped right in front of me!

Well anywayz, yes we are suing him and now I'm doing therapy for the whiplash and horrible pains I have in my back.

I'm looking to buying another Maxima, a 99 preferred. with a 5 speed. I only had my Max for 2 months. I had just got the windows tinted 3 days before. Well, I'm just blabbering on. I took off my gauges and system. The insurance says i can keep the car after they pay me, but what am I going to do with it? I don't know as of yet. But I will buy a Max once again.

Well this is all for now.. i'll post more later on
Old 04-16-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: Update!

Originally posted by Jshock1
Well, it's been almost a month since the accident. Yep, my Maxima got totaled, but now hear this, the insurance company wants to pay me only 80% of what the car is worth. Supposely there is a Law in NY saying that I could've avoided the accident. WTF? How? This dude just popped right in front of me!

Well anywayz, yes we are suing him and now I'm doing therapy for the whiplash and horrible pains I have in my back.

I'm looking to buying another Maxima, a 99 preferred. with a 5 speed. I only had my Max for 2 months. I had just got the windows tinted 3 days before. Well, I'm just blabbering on. I took off my gauges and system. The insurance says i can keep the car after they pay me, but what am I going to do with it? I don't know as of yet. But I will buy a Max once again.

part it out whatever you can, im sure alot of members here would take most of it.....
Old 04-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I'm very interested in selling my car to a caring maxima owner, if you're interested.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:04 PM

that's a nice car Lime... I wouldn't be able to buy ur car now, but if you can give me the details.. say mileage and asking price.. PM me details if you can, and i'll get back at ya.

Old 04-16-2003, 01:10 PM

Re: Update!

Insurance companies typically only pay you about 80% of the value of the car when it is totalled. If they are letting you keep the car, then you can make even more money by parting it out. Most insurance companies at least want the car if they are paying for its totalling, especially if there are lots of useable part on it.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:16 PM

Even so, if they were gonna repair it, they were only gonna pay 80% of the damages! I don't understand the laws here? they say it's a law. it's called the "Comparative Negligence Law". I don't understand these peoples, I have to get out of the state.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:26 PM

Even so, if they were gonna repair it, they were only gonna pay 80% of the damages! I don't understand the laws here? they say it's a law. it's called the "Comparative Negligence Law". I don't understand these peoples, I have to get out of the state.
Just don't go to NJ, its about 100 times worse there.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:31 PM

ironically, i bought my max in jersey.. why what's wrong with jersey.. only 2 months with the car man!!
Old 04-16-2003, 01:33 PM

ironically, i bought my max in jersey.. why what's wrong with jersey.. only 2 months with the car man!!
You think insurance companies are bad in NY? Man, I can't believe you haven't heard about NJ. Their "no-fault" policy is rediculous and its not even what you think it is. Insurance rates are rediculous... that is, if you can even get insurance. All in all, its just a pain in the a$$ to live in NJ no matter how much money you have.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:36 PM

yeah, i heard about the insurance being to high, i really don't understand why though. "no fault" what does that mean?? i heard a report that atleast 60% of jersey drivers are uninsured! man, gotta be careful over...
Old 04-16-2003, 01:41 PM

yeah, i heard about the insurance being to high, i really don't understand why though. "no fault" what does that mean?? i heard a report that atleast 60% of jersey drivers are uninsured! man, gotta be careful over...
A lot of NJ drivers are uninsured because insurance is too expensive, but insurance rates are high because a lot of people don't have insurance. Kinda F-ed up huh?

"No-fault" means, it turns out, that in the case of an accident there is no fault placed upon any of the drivers when it comes to paying for medical care and medical care only. Each person's own insurance pays for their own medical care. It really screws with people when out-of-state people are in the same car when the driver is in-state and gets in an accident. Trust me, I just got stuff dealt with after about 5 months. Its all FUBAR.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:45 PM

ooh.. that sux's man! so either way, if it's not ur fault, ur insurance is still gonna spike! what the heck u still doing in jersey??
Old 04-16-2003, 01:47 PM

I'm not in Jersey, I'm in Southwestern VA, aka: Virginia Tech. When I got into that accident, it was my dad's car (the Maxima), and he was the one who rear-ended me with two of my friends from VA in the car. It sucked and I'll leave it at that. Now everything is cool, and the Max is fine (after a month of repairing).

I'll have to take some pictures of it some day.
Old 04-16-2003, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by MacGyver265
I'm not in Jersey, I'm in Southwestern VA, aka: Virginia Tech. When I got into that accident, it was my dad's car (the Maxima), and he was the one who rear-ended me with two of my friends from VA in the car. It sucked and I'll leave it at that. Now everything is cool, and the Max is fine (after a month of repairing).

I'll have to take some pictures of it some day.
ooh i see.. sorry. i hear insurance pretty cheap in pennsylvania.. lol.. a lot of people here are doing that. getting their insurance over there..

I'm pushing my baby on her final days.. lol.. i took out my system, i only got the front speakers on and the radio, after i get my check, they're off too.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:11 PM

Update!! #2

Well guys, I'm back. And the site looks a whole lot better!
You guys did a marvelous job.

After 3 long months, the insurance gave me the money for the car. Totaled, but they only gave me 80% so I get to keep the car. I wanted to drive this car, the way it is, as a beater, but everything on the front, has been falling off little by little, so I guess I'm getting rid of it. I have a couple of people that actually want to buy the car off me, so I believe in the next week or so, my baby won't be mine anymore.

Ok, here's my question, and I want everyones honest opinion.

I have almost $11k saved up. I loved the 95 max. It was so comfortable and smooth. But at the same time, I believe I could actually afford to buy a 5th generation maxima. I like those too, just not to much for the front, but still good. I can't decide on what to buy. Either a 99 SE-L or just a 2000-2002 maxima.

I am going to buy my next car from a dealer auction, so I will be able to find it considerably less than what I would pay at a nissan dealership. I have another $4-$5k saved up combined with my fiance's account. So she's willing to help out. I want this car to last me a while. I want to mod this maxima and make it out the best it can't be.

I want to hear what you guys think. What should I buy? Why?

I'll consider seriously what you guys think. Thanks for any feedback.

Sorry for writing a long post also.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:25 PM
Jedi Knight

man...just get a 5 speed...
Old 06-17-2003, 03:40 PM

Re: Update!! #2

Well guys, I'm back. And the site looks a whole lot better!
You guys did a marvelous job.

After 3 long months, the insurance gave me the money for the car. Totaled, but they only gave me 80% so I get to keep the car. I wanted to drive this car, the way it is, as a beater, but everything on the front, has been falling off little by little, so I guess I'm getting rid of it. I have a couple of people that actually want to buy the car off me, so I believe in the next week or so, my baby won't be mine anymore.

Ok, here's my question, and I want everyones honest opinion.

I have almost $11k saved up. I loved the 95 max. It was so comfortable and smooth. But at the same time, I believe I could actually afford to buy a 5th generation maxima. I like those too, just not to much for the front, but still good. I can't decide on what to buy. Either a 99 SE-L or just a 2000-2002 maxima.

I am going to buy my next car from a dealer auction, so I will be able to find it considerably less than what I would pay at a nissan dealership. I have another $4-$5k saved up combined with my fiance's account. So she's willing to help out. I want this car to last me a while. I want to mod this maxima and make it out the best it can't be.

I want to hear what you guys think. What should I buy? Why?

I'll consider seriously what you guys think. Thanks for any feedback.

Sorry for writing a long post also.
i would get whatever has the options you want and as low mileage as possible. btw, do you still have your '95? im lookin for black interior dash trim pieces.
Old 06-17-2003, 03:42 PM

i still have it, but it's beige inside, the guys is willing to give me $1800. for it. i'll post of it soon.