4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

full exhaust cost, quality, performance?!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:18 AM

full exhaust cost, quality, performance?!?

I am gettin rid of my 95 auto max for a 97-99 5 spd. Haven't found one yet, but will not settle for anything else. On my 95 I tried to make it look like a ghetto whoopdy ride. I want the new one to be built performance wise. All I had on my 95 for exhaust was a muffler.... I wish I could search for all this, but what are your opinions on full exhaust, I am looking for best performance on a reasonable budget. Any do's or don'ts?!? What are the website for performance stuff for the max's?!? Thanks for your help...

Jason
Old 03-21-2003, 11:49 AM

Exhaust on a resonable budget?...just get y-pipe, leave everything else stock, u wont miss much (except looks/sound)......unless u r planing to boost later
Old 03-21-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by slavik'sMAX
Exhaust on a resonable budget?...just get y-pipe, leave everything else stock, u wont miss much (except looks/sound)......unless u r planing to boost later

....sooooo a catback does nothing, and eliminating the cats doesn't improve anything?!?! What would I lose by doing just a y-pipe, versus a FULL head back?? 2-3hp?!? or a lot.... I want to build this one for the track...

Money isn't really a major issue, I just don't want to spend $500 on something when a different company made the SAME THING for $300... catch my flow?

J
Old 03-21-2003, 12:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

budget or warpspeed y pipe, and OBX cat-back, together should run you less than $500
Old 03-21-2003, 12:51 PM
Disco Biscuit

Or, get a Y pipe from warpspeed, as well as the B-pipe with resonator, that way you get a $25 discount for getting both from them, and get a Mangnaflow Muffler. Thats what I have in mind doing since I already have they Y-pipe from them. Should look, feel and sound sweet....
Old 03-21-2003, 12:56 PM

So the only beneficial exhaust components are the Y-pipe and b-pipe and a catback.... That will open her up good enough for some hp.... Is there bungs for the O2 sensors on the pipes??

Jason
Old 03-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by nismoluvr
So the only beneficial exhaust components are the Y-pipe and b-pipe and a catback.... That will open her up good enough for some hp.... Is there bungs for the O2 sensors on the pipes??

Jason
The B-pipe is from the cat to the rear axle, meaning that it basically is a cat back minus approx. a foot of pipe and the muffler. I believe in all actuality that with a Y-pipe and custom 2.5 piping and resonator(reduces noise) from your local muffler shop and a muffler of your choosing would be the best bang for the buck. I don't think b-pipes produce any significant gains.
Old 03-21-2003, 02:47 PM

budget y-pipe and greddy catback.
if you are short on money: budget y-pipe and OBX exhaust. obx is about $200 cheaper
Old 03-21-2003, 03:14 PM

i still say that adding a catback wouldn't make that much difference in NA car......I think the loss by not putting catback should be <5hp
Old 03-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Turbo is too much fun!

my setup: budget ypipe, warpspeed metallic hi-flow cat, obx catback. Nice and quiet. Cost total under $500
Old 03-25-2003, 11:48 AM

Where do I get OBX from?!?!

Are the O2 sensors on the Y pipe only, or is there one behind the Y pipe??

Thanks guys

Jason
Old 03-25-2003, 02:41 PM

Re: full exhaust cost, quality, performance?!?

Originally posted by nismoluvr
I am gettin rid of my 95 auto max for a 97-99 5 spd. Haven't found one yet, but will not settle for anything else. On my 95 I tried to make it look like a ghetto whoopdy ride. I want the new one to be built performance wise. All I had on my 95 for exhaust was a muffler.... I wish I could search for all this, but what are your opinions on full exhaust, I am looking for best performance on a reasonable budget. Any do's or don'ts?!? What are the website for performance stuff for the max's?!? Thanks for your help...

Jason
warpspeed Aluminzed mandrel bent y pipe
warpspeed b pipe with resonator
magnaflow street series 5x8 exhaust

note*maybe check on magnaflows racing series mufflers..

those three items will run you 525 and thats top end exhaust for a moderate price ...find a good ole joe that knows what he is doing to put it on, it cost me 80 dollars .. make sure you go back once a week, to get everything tightened up .. well thats my two cents, take your time, do some homework ..and enjoy what ever you get, goodluck finding a chariot
Old 03-26-2003, 01:04 PM

By installing a y-pipe that it will remove the pre-cat, does it increases more air pollution and does it require some tweaks to pass the exhaust emission inspection?
Old 03-26-2003, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by joew
By installing a y-pipe that it will remove the pre-cat, does it increases more air pollution and does it require some tweaks to pass the exhaust emission inspection?
Once you get your cat heated up, you'll have no problem passing inspection. The car only pollutes when it is cold. Make sure you drive the car for a good distance before you go in for a inspection.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:22 PM

Right now the only performance mods i have are a stillen intake and a budget b pipe with resonator. i had the intake on for a while before i got the b pipe. the b pipe alone doesnt add a huge hp gain, im guessing 5-10. but you can feel an inprovement in the mid to hight rpm range. it also lowers the exhaust note a bit. if you look at the stock b pipe there are some serious crimps in it restricting flow. if you are going to do the exhaust, be consistant and do the y, b and muffler for the full set up. i plan on installing my budget y and borla muffler in the next few weeks.
go with budget, they are a good company, you have to call to place your order. they seem a little disorganized, they screwed up my order but were really nice and fixed it and gave me a nice discount for the mistake. thier stuff is stainless steel unlike warpspeed. i wouldnt put any aluminized pipes on my car.