4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Odd Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 10:44 PM

Odd Mileage

Just dropped my girlfriend off at home and had that nasty smell great me on my 1.5 mile trip. Anyhow, it dawned on me that this past weekend I took a trip upstate this past weekend. I filled up the car before heading off from brooklyn with exxon gas (gerritsen ave.)Round trip I used a hair more than half a tank (216 miles. Since I got home I barely used the car and put on another 65 miles since sunday and now my tank is empty! How in the hell can I get 216 miles for the first half of the tank and 65 miles for the second half? I understand the concept of street/highway mileage, but this seems a little extreme to me. A little tidbit of info, tommorow my car is going in for a front axle replacement under warranty. Could this be the source of my poor city mileage, being that my axle is bad? Could the bad axle also have something to do with the bad odor from my previous post about the urine smell? I hope that the axle replacement will eleviate at lest one of these two bad problems. The previous owner of the car had a baby, and I honestly went around looking under the seats for a dirty diaper stashed away, but no luck.
Thanks
Old 03-28-2003, 12:21 AM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

i have the same thing, sort of. If i fill the tank up completely, i'll get close to 100 miles before the needle dips past full. then, the needle goes "normal" until about 3/4 tank. Then, from 3/4 tank to 1/4 tank, i only get about 100miles. Also, the car starts to sputter at 1/8 tank. I think i just need to get the gas gauge recalibrated.

And as far as that smell: I've read your past posts about it, and i've heard the hell you've been going through. Here's some things i thought of that might be able to help you out.

1. first, get an air freshener to make the car drivable. Then find out if the smell is coming into the car through the A/C or if it's already in there.
2. Vacuum the **** out of the car: Floormats, carpets, seats, ceiling.
3. clean the carpets/floormats with a rug cleaner. Who knows, you might actually have something dried there. At least the smell of the cleaner might help with overpowering the urine smell.
4. Using armorall cleaning wipes (or whatever equal you find) clean all the plastic. Once again, maybe something is dried there.
5. Check your intake/ change air filter.
6. If all else fails, take up smoking. The odor from that should overpower the smell. If that doesen't work, torch the car. Get insurance money, and try again.