4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

auto shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2003, 04:28 PM

auto shifting problem

Ok my car has not been shiftin from park into gear easily hear lately and i got stuck the other day for an hour at the car wash. But when it does get out of park everything is fine, it drives good, shifts good and sound fine. It just from park. so i looked down there and i see a brasslooking bar that was off of one of the white pieces, If someone has looked down there they know what i mean. Well i can shift my car if that piece is off. But its not supposed to be off, When its on my car will not leave park? So wtf? whats the bar for and is it important?
Old 03-29-2003, 12:18 PM

can anyone help me?
also im going to need a new auto shifter too, i broke mine tryin to get it into gear, wuts a cheap way to go that looks decent?
Old 03-29-2003, 12:37 PM

Well I can't say i know exactly what you are talking about. But I do have a question, when you put your foot on the brake can you hear a click? If you don't hear a click, thats your problem, there is a Shift interlock (I think thats what its called) that does not allow you to shift unless the brake is depressed. Listen for that first.

Either way there should be 2 cables that go into the shifter assembly, is it one of these that you are talking about? If so, which one? Drivers side or pass?

Originally posted by LeonBlackMax
can anyone help me?
also im going to need a new auto shifter too, i broke mine tryin to get it into gear, wuts a cheap way to go that looks decent?
Old 03-29-2003, 12:47 PM

tranny

Are you able to depress the button on the shifter or not? if not this happened on my old 90 max. i found that there is a plastic piece(white in color) that would swing over when the botton is pressed in to allow the tranny to shift out of park (like a lock so you cant just pull your car out of gear). All i did was swing this piece to the unlocked position and then wad some duct tape behind it so it would stay in the unlocked position. its been awhile so these directions are kind of vauge, sorry. As a result i had no problems for the next 2 yrs until i sold the car.

good luck i hope this helps and rember: if you cant duct it **** it
Old 03-29-2003, 01:04 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my car is sometimes hesitant to shift out of park into reverse, but it's usually when the rpm's are too high. I know mzmtg made a post about this a few months ago in relation to cold weather....
Old 03-29-2003, 01:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Lime
my car is sometimes hesitant to shift out of park into reverse, but it's usually when the rpm's are too high. I know mzmtg made a post about this a few months ago in relation to cold weather....
So does mine but I realized thats usually when I'm parked on a slight hill. Now I just put the parking brake on before I let go out of brake and no more problems.
Old 03-29-2003, 01:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

the reason it was hesitant to shift out of park into gear when u r on a hill is becasue there is pressure on the transmission when u put it in park be cause of the hill
Old 03-29-2003, 03:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

can anyone help me?
I have a mint condition leather black gle shifter off my 96. Let me know if you're interested.
Old 03-30-2003, 11:15 AM

skeelo - how much?

Ok i think this is with the brake b/c i can now shift it withough putton on the brake when the rod is off of the white pieces that someone was talkin about. So i really dont need to fix this right b/c i dont need to press teh brake down everytime i shift from park thats just a safety thing right?
Old 03-30-2003, 02:00 PM

I used to have the same problem you have - It lasted a while and all of a sudden it just stopped. I forgot all about it until I read this post. I remember taking the top part of the shifter apart and coming to the conclusion that I needed a new one...I went on deployment (forgot all about it) and now I haven't had a problem with it ever since.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:36 PM

That may have been me talking about the Shift interlock. It is basically a saftey thing, so that the car can't 'accidently' go into drive. It take it you don't hear a click when you apply the brake with it in park? Can you shift it if you do put on the brake?

skeelo - how much?

Ok i think this is with the brake b/c i can now shift it withough putton on the brake when the rod is off of the white pieces that someone was talkin about. So i really dont need to fix this right b/c i dont need to press teh brake down everytime i shift from park thats just a safety thing right?