4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Mods, where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:04 PM

Mods, where to start?

I decided i'm going to start upgrading my performance with some mods. I have a 99 automatic, and i checked the FAQ's and it looks like the best is intake? I don't want anything too expensive or fancy, just a couple easy, bang for the buck mods. If you guys could give me some help or suggestions, i would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Moe
Old 03-30-2003, 08:21 PM

Intake and exhaust are the two mods that everyone seems to start out with. The intake will run you $100 to $200, or more depending on the setup you choose.

Intake: The three most popular intakes seem to be the Frankencar (short ram under-the-hood setup), the Place Racing CAI, and the Injen CAI. Many Maxima owners don't like the idea of having to drill a hole in the fender for the Place Racing CAI, so they choose to go with the Injen because it is located within the engine bay, but underneath the engine and most of the heat.

The aftermarket exhaust is the other popular first mod. The Y-pipe will give you very significant gains from what I have heard.(I am ordering one for myself from BudgetExhaust.com next week.)

Y-pipe: The three most popular brands for the Y-pipe are Budget Exhaust, Warpspeed, and Courtesy Nissan. I think the Budget Y is the cheapest, and most of the members here have that one. It costs $250 Canadian, or about $165 US.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:40 PM

I just got my Y-pipe last week and installed it over the weekend. I highly recommend Budgets' Y-pipe. White95Max I'm sure you'll like yours when you get it. It's not that hard to install if you can get a hold of a lift and it adds the most HP for the $$. Get the Intake and Y-pipe and you'll be set...for a little while anyway
Old 03-30-2003, 08:48 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Odie96
[B]I just got my Y-pipe last week and installed it over the weekend. I highly recommend Budgets' Y-pipe. White95Max I'm sure you'll like yours when you get it. It's not that hard to install if you can get a hold of a lift and it adds the most HP for the $$. ]

I'm sure I will love it from what I have read about it. I work at a car dealership and one of the mechanics wants to install all my performance stuff for free, as long as he can go for a ride in it after the install to see how the mods work. He has a lift, all the tools, and 15 years experience so it should go pretty well. I highly recommend working at a car dealership if you want help w/ installs and discounts on parts.
Old 03-30-2003, 08:53 PM

DAMN, I'm in the wrong profession!!! It must be nice to get hooked up like that
Old 03-31-2003, 12:21 AM

Stillen intake and ypipe, trust me, you will be amazed.
it is a night and day difference.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Mods, where to start?

Originally posted by DJ Moe Green
I decided i'm going to start upgrading my performance with some mods. I have a 99 automatic, and i checked the FAQ's and it looks like the best is intake? I don't want anything too expensive or fancy, just a couple easy, bang for the buck mods. If you guys could give me some help or suggestions, i would appreciate it. Thanks!

-Moe
Definitely intake and y pipe first.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:10 AM
V^___^V

Originally posted by Odie96
I just got my Y-pipe last week and installed it over the weekend. I highly recommend Budgets' Y-pipe. White95Max I'm sure you'll like yours when you get it. It's not that hard to install if you can get a hold of a lift and it adds the most HP for the $$. Get the Intake and Y-pipe and you'll be set...for a little while anyway

jus talked to budget people, i am either waitin for them to ship it to norcal in 1 week or i can wait 1.5 more weeks until i go down to UCLA visit some friends, then i can jus pick it up from there =)

yes... y-pipe adds the most HP/torque for the $$.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:11 AM

mods

from one auto to another, get the budget y-pipe it only cost me 160 shipped to my door and the difference is stunning. you can do it yourself as i did with a few simple tools, its a perfect fit. you wont get a buzz from it, more of a low gurgle at idle.

as far as intakes i bought the place racing cai due to many reports of better low end torque with our autos. currently i have it set up as a hai because i dont have a saw. while the horsepower gains arent as noticable like the y pipe, the sound is amazing. as for stillen im sure they make great products, but unless your independently wealthy or willing to sell one of your kidneys for cash, id avoid their overblown prices.

just my opinions, sorry for the long post, have fun with your mods
Old 03-31-2003, 07:33 AM

Re: mods

Originally posted by BadKarma99-4spd
from one auto to another, get the budget y-pipe it only cost me 160 shipped to my door and the difference is stunning. you can do it yourself as i did with a few simple tools, its a perfect fit. you wont get a buzz from it, more of a low gurgle at idle.

as far as intakes i bought the place racing cai due to many reports of better low end torque with our autos. currently i have it set up as a hai because i dont have a saw. while the horsepower gains arent as noticable like the y pipe, the sound is amazing. as for stillen im sure they make great products, but unless your independently wealthy or willing to sell one of your kidneys for cash, id avoid their overblown prices.

just my opinions, sorry for the long post, have fun with your mods
Just so you know - Budget also makes a CAI for about the same price as their y-pipe.
Old 03-31-2003, 09:19 AM

Re: Re: mods

Originally posted by MChapel

Just so you know - Budget also makes a CAI for about the same price as their y-pipe.

Thanks guys ... Another question, will this y-pipe make that disgusting noise i hear with these hondas with the big mufflers? i want the power, but i dont want that loud sound i hear from some of these rice burners i see.
Old 03-31-2003, 11:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: mods

Thanks guys ... Another question, will this y-pipe make that disgusting noise i hear with these hondas with the big mufflers? i want the power, but i dont want that loud sound i hear from some of these rice burners i see.

No a Y-pipe will not make your car sound like that al all. its certain mufflers that do that. However some Y-pipes buzz or hiss and make a sound that is know as the "bees in teh can" sound. I am not sure if budgets does this or not, but i think you can fix it just by wrapping the flex section with header wrap.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:38 PM

What about a pulley? Does It offer a significant gain?
Old 03-31-2003, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by joew
What about a pulley? Does It offer a significant gain?

An uder drive pulley? I would not say significant but most people say enough to feel it. But it still only gives around 5HP and about .1 off your 1/4 mile time, if that.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:17 PM

Does it offers a smoother gear shifting on auto trans?

Originally posted by Smithdogg1

An uder drive pulley? I would not say significant but most people say enough to feel it. But it still only gives around 5HP and about .1 off your 1/4 mile time, if that.
Old 03-31-2003, 01:31 PM

Does it offers a smoother gear shifting on auto tran?
Prolly not.

An underdrive pulley simply reduces the load the accessory belts
put on your engine -- it's all engine, no transmission...

Also, I think the underdrive pulley is not a major HP gainer.
This is what people look to when they've run out of the easy stuff.

FLO_BOY
Old 03-31-2003, 02:19 PM

Thanks for all your input guys. I'm going to look into the Budget y-pipe, do I have to get it directly from budget? Also, throw out some suggestions on a good economical intake. Thanks again!!

-Moe
Old 03-31-2003, 03:49 PM
JsL

Get the budget ypipe for sure first. If you have money left over, then get the intake. Of course, like what everyone said, getting both will be the best. You have to call budget to order. Check out ebay for an intake or the for sale section on this site.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:34 PM

i'm going to get the y-pipe and will probably get the intake too, just looking for some suggestions on brands, i've seen injen, cattman, stillen, and budget and the org. just looking for the one that i would get the most bang for the buck. any suggestions??? Thanks

-Moe
Old 04-01-2003, 07:46 AM

thanks.

Originally posted by FLO_BOY

Prolly not.

An underdrive pulley simply reduces the load the accessory belts
put on your engine -- it's all engine, no transmission...

Also, I think the underdrive pulley is not a major HP gainer.
This is what people look to when they've run out of the easy stuff.

FLO_BOY
Old 04-01-2003, 07:48 AM

i'm sure how to get to the sale site. did you do a general search?

Originally posted by JsL
Get the budget ypipe for sure first. If you have money left over, then get the intake. Of course, like what everyone said, getting both will be the best. You have to call budget to order. Check out ebay for an intake or the for sale section on this site.
Old 04-01-2003, 07:54 AM

i'm sure how to get to the sale site. did you do a general search?

Try here:
Budget Exhaust

It's their website...numbers listed on there.

take care,
FLO_BOY
Old 04-01-2003, 09:17 AM

thanks.
Old 04-01-2003, 09:26 AM
GoldenGlory

Re: Mods, where to start?

-Moe
SuperCharger