4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

car is having a hard time starting in morning

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003 | 11:45 PM

car is having a hard time starting in morning

hey guys, i needed some help, my car is having a tough time starting up in the mornings after its been sitting for a long time..i have to crank it hard and long and give sum gas to keep it going otherwise it just stalls out
any possibilities as to wut it can be? it started happening after i got my Ypipe installed, but its happened once before last year as well
i have a CAI as well, and i checked it, and theres a sensor(not MAF) hanging at the bottom of the midpipe/MAF and its not connected to anything..i hurd the 97-99 dont need to connect that to anything? is this true?
is there some kinda leak somwhere, air or vacuum line or something? i checked out most of my hoses and connections, nothing loose or anything...could a bad O2 sensor cause this? which is the right front o2(which bank)? how bout a dirty air filter or fuel filter? could the starter be going? the started did start to grind a bit this winter
Old 03-31-2003 | 12:40 AM

I noticed that when my gas tank is low- almost the the last line then it gets hard to start and takes a few cranks before it starts. that sensor your talking about is just an air temp and that can just hang loose like you said. when was the last time you changed fuel filter?
Old 03-31-2003 | 12:53 AM

starting

start simple, how old is your battery? you can have it tested for free at autozone.

good luck
Old 03-31-2003 | 01:20 AM

i know the issue with when gas is low, but this is regardless even if i have half a tank of gas, its only been lately in the last two weeks or so
fuel filter was changed last june or so...its been around 16k miles, maybe ill change it
battery is about 17 months old, shouldnt be a problem, cuz the power works fine, i can turn on all my lights without the car being on and theres no problem
this is more of an air leak kinda problem...or possibly a bad ground somewhere
Old 03-31-2003 | 05:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

sounds like a starter problem to me. There is a recall on 97-98 maximas for the starter. Do a search for the starter recall threads and you can check your VIN for the recall.
Old 03-31-2003 | 06:23 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Clean your throttle body.

Check the resistance of the Engine Coolant Temperatur sensor, refer to the Haynes manual for the correct values. If it's out of spec, replace it.

Check the fast idle cam to make sure it's opening your throttle plate slightly for cold starts. Again, the Haynes manual is your friend.
Old 03-31-2003 | 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Lime
sounds like a starter problem to me. There is a recall on 97-98 maximas for the starter. Do a search for the starter recall threads and you can check your VIN for the recall.
Lime, how did you ever come to this conclusion? The poster said that he had to crank it a long time. All the starter does is crank. We all would like to help someone in need, but help is the key word.
The starter is doing it's job. The reason it won't start is due to something else. This leaves fuel or spark as possible causes.
Old 03-31-2003 | 11:34 AM

Chances are is it's a simple as the battery.
I had the same problem. You're probably flooding the engine
after a few tries, which is why it'll start after putting
the gas pedal down. If the battery's okay, look to the fuel system.
Old 03-31-2003 | 02:19 PM

For an oem battery, what's the minimum # of volts and amps it should see in a multimeter before deciding to change it out? I just topped up my cells with distilled water a couple weeks ago. Actually, only 2 cells were low in electrolyte.
Old 03-31-2003 | 03:12 PM

Re: car is having a hard time starting in morning

I had the same probem with my '95. The only thing that helped it was changing the starter. That did the trick for about a year and a half. Now out of the blue it is dong it again. Something keeps causing my oxygen sensors to go bad (I had those replace before also). The dealer said that it might actually be a computer problem. I've got anther post up now to see if anyone else has had the same problem. But from what I read on other posts this is a common problem.

Originally posted by NyC97Max
hey guys, i needed some help, my car is having a tough time starting up in the mornings after its been sitting for a long time..i have to crank it hard and long and give sum gas to keep it going otherwise it just stalls out
any possibilities as to wut it can be? it started happening after i got my Ypipe installed, but its happened once before last year as well
i have a CAI as well, and i checked it, and theres a sensor(not MAF) hanging at the bottom of the midpipe/MAF and its not connected to anything..i hurd the 97-99 dont need to connect that to anything? is this true?
is there some kinda leak somwhere, air or vacuum line or something? i checked out most of my hoses and connections, nothing loose or anything...could a bad O2 sensor cause this? which is the right front o2(which bank)? how bout a dirty air filter or fuel filter? could the starter be going? the started did start to grind a bit this winter