4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

cleanin headlights

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 02:12 PM

cleanin headlights

My headlights have the inevitable haze on the inside that comes with age. I wanna clean em but can figur out how to get em out, I found the few aluminum latches on top and one on bottom, but that doesnt help, hayes' manual isnt much help here. help! and im still getting really bad mileage and the knock sensor is fine.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:01 PM

Basic tune up might help the gas mileage. Spark plugs etc.

I would like to know how to clean out the inside housing of the lights also.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:37 PM

same here...i need to clean out the inside of my right side headlight
Old 04-06-2003, 12:51 PM

if you have a 97+ 4th gen, you can try using 3M Plastic Polish
for your headlights on the outside -- the stuff removes minor
scratches...

the 3M part numbers are: 39010 and 39017

hope this helps...
FLO_BOY
Old 04-06-2003, 03:27 PM

headlight clean

Originally posted by xCarreraGTx
same here...i need to clean out the inside of my right side headlight
I took the headlight out, removed the bulb, and swished around a lot of rubbing alcohol. Do this a couple of times. the alcohol should dissapate quickly after you empty the headlight housing and turn it upside down so the alcohol can drain out of the bulb-opening. It's not gonna get rid of everything but it should help.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:57 PM

If you want to do it right, then take out your headlights. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Take out the aluminum clips, and save them. Pop it in the oven. Wear leather gloves pull it out 10 minute later, and slowly with a flat head screw driver pry it open. Voila!! You can access your inner headlights, and clean it.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by ballinontwins
If you want to do it right, then take out your headlights. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees. Take out the aluminum clips, and save them. Pop it in the oven. Wear leather gloves pull it out 10 minute later, and slowly with a flat head screw driver pry it open. Voila!! You can access your inner headlights, and clean it.
good lord, was not aware that id be accessing my kitchen to help me clean a damn headlight. Hopefully what you just told me isnt a joke, cuz this weekend, im givin it a try. and if it works, big props to the ballinontwins for the interesting instructions
Old 04-06-2003, 05:14 PM
Handsome

No need to take the light apart. Just go to Pep Boys and ask for "light rubbing compound." Use a sock and rub aggressivly on the outside of the headlight, you will see some yellow start to appear on the sock, that is the oxidation coming off. Now take a clean sock and wipe off the excess from the light. Repeat as needed and you will have new looking headlights.
Old 04-06-2003, 05:36 PM

Originally posted by Street Reeper
No need to take the light apart. Just go to Pep Boys and ask for "light rubbing compound." Use a sock and rub aggressivly on the outside of the headlight, you will see some yellow start to appear on the sock, that is the oxidation coming off. Now take a clean sock and wipe off the excess from the light. Repeat as needed and you will have new looking headlights.
is that light rubbing compound for glass or plastic?
Old 04-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Handsome

Originally posted by masterB

is that light rubbing compound for glass or plastic?
There is heavy, medium and light rubbing compound, just ask for the light compound. I am not sure but since it is a plastic piece I would guess plastic.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:11 AM

Why is there no need to take the headlights apart? When he has yellowing, and hazzing from the inside. As stated in the first post.
Yes the rubbing compound will work on the outside of the light but if your going to need to clean the inside then the best way is to take it apart.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 AM

Why is there no need to take the headlights apart? When he has yellowing, and hazzing from the inside. As stated in the first post.
Yes the rubbing compound will work on the outside of the light but if your going to need to clean the inside then the best way is to take it apart.
I bought the damn compound, and believe it or not, a good viniger/water mix and some aluminum mag cleaner were good for cleaning the outside, noticable diffference, but it does need to be taken apart, (pre-heating my oven now )
Old 04-08-2003, 09:18 AM

I'd start on the outside...it's hard to tell if the discoloration is
coming the inside or outside...Besides, two benefits of starting on
the outside:

1) Your headlights will be cleaner, and it's MUCH easier to clean.
2) If the discoloration is ONLY on the outside, you've saved yourself
a number of steps and there is no risk to warping your headlights.

taking apart a headlight is NOT an easy thing or an exact science --
you're COOKING the headlight and PRYING it apart...the headlights
are not supposed to be taken apart...

hope this helps,
FLO_BOY
Old 04-08-2003, 09:24 AM
rmb

Good luck getting them to be watertight ever again after heating them, probably warping them and prying them apart!

There are aftermarket headlights available that are cheaper than stock. Still well over $100 each though....

-RMB
Old 04-08-2003, 09:37 AM

I've taken the original headlights apart 4 times do some cleaning, modifying (AE style), and to install BMW HID projectors. The trick is to be patient, and not heat it up too hot. Thats why you start with 200 degree on an oven rack for only 10min. I also have had no sealing problems. Plus the headlights are not sealed air tight, and water tight from the factory anyways. They have vapor release tubes if you can se from the back. And good luck !!!
Old 04-08-2003, 12:37 PM
Handsome

I have seen two eclipses with yellow hazing as described. The only thing that was required to make them look like new was rubbing the compound on the outside of the headlight, wiping it off, then repeating. One had a little hazing, the other was really bad (it took about three tries but it finally came totally clear, it should work ok.